Why was Travis Laboy cut?

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We knew Edge would be cut once Beanie Wells passed his physical with the Cards.

And I am not surprised about Hood being cut.

But why did they cut Travis LaBoy?

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
he's injured too much and had 2 good games, one which we won by a lot.

edit: and we have so many lb's

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I think cutting Hood & LaBoy could of waited a year.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Haha Isn't there a bunch of threads discussing this very topic already?:)

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
I believe LaBoy is a DE that was unable to make the transition to OLB in a 3-4. He was not strong against the run or dropping into coverage. He possibly did not fit the philosophy of new DC Davis and the injury concerns/rumors could be worse than we know.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe LaBoy is a DE that was unable to make the transition to OLB in a 3-4. He was not strong against the run or dropping into coverage. He possibly did not fit the philosophy of new DC Davis and the injury concerns/rumors could be worse than we know.
Sounds reasonable.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score
could his biceps injury be worse than originally reported?

OP
OP
Cardsmasochist

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Haha Isn't there a bunch of threads discussing this very topic already?:)

Yes, but I am at work so I have to be careful surfing this site. (I really should be working) I did not see any threads specifically about the LaBoy cut (at least from the thread titles).

So, for the sake of time, I created a new thread.

Sorry I am lazy.

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
I think they could have just cut Hood and kept Laboy. He would have only cost 2 million this year, and he wouldn't have been such a cap hit if cut next year. He wouldn't have even had to play.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Checking ASFN at work? Good man. Truth is, we cut LaBoy to give you a decent excuse to tell your boss when he finds you checking in here for news.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
He got cut because he was a situational, one-dimensional pass rusher that was inconsistent on top of never being healthy, so if we can put that money towards extending A-Dub and/or possibly Q it's more than justified. He has one pass rush move and that's the speed rush. If he can't beat the tackle to the edge, then chances are he's not pressuring the QB and he was not good against the run. His lack of coverage skills don't really matter because he was playing the elephant role in our defense and was rushing the QB just about every single time he was on the field.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He got cut because he was a situational, one-dimensional pass rusher that was inconsistent on top of never being healthy, so if we can put that money towards extending A-Dub and/or possibly Q it's more than justified. He has one pass rush move and that's the speed rush. If he can't beat the tackle to the edge, then chances are he's not pressuring the QB and he was not good against the run. His lack of coverage skills don't really matter because he was playing the elephant role in our defense and was rushing the QB just about every single time he was on the field.

First he was Tarzan, then he was The Predator, then the elephant. No wonder he was cut. Can't have anyone with multiple personalities on the team.

;)

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, but I am at work so I have to be careful surfing this site. (I really should be working) I did not see any threads specifically about the LaBoy cut (at least from the thread titles).

So, for the sake of time, I created a new thread.

Sorry I am lazy.

I was just playin. I was puzzled by the LaBoy cut as well initially.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
It must be about a roster spot, because it was cheaper to keep him, at least for this year. At least that was my impression ...(from Somers) LaBoy actually counts $1.25 million more than he would if he was still on the roster.

Last edited:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too many players; too little cap space to redo key contracts.

Something had to give. Priorities had to be set. Decisions had to be made.

All three guys were using up cap space that can now be diverted to redo Wilson, Dansby and/or Q's contracts.

It all came down to cost/benefit, and LaBoy (who was injured a lot last year and had an iffy concussion history) was considered too rich for the Cardinals' blood compared to other core players.

Pretty much the same deal with Hood (especially after we signed McFadden).

And I'm not totally sure we would have released Edge had we not drafted Beanie (because we'd have needed Edge, cost notwithstanding).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Too many players; too little cap space to redo key contracts.

Something had to give. Priorities had to be set. Decisions had to be made.

All three guys were using up cap space that can now be diverted to redo Wilson, Dansby and/or Q's contracts.

It all came down to cost/benefit, and LaBoy (who was injured a lot last year and had an iffy concussion history) was considered too rich for the Cardinals' blood compared to other core players.

Pretty much the same deal with Hood (especially after we signed McFadden).

And I'm not totally sure we would have released Edge had we not drafted Beanie (because we'd have needed Edge, cost notwithstanding).

I get your premise, Jeff, but you are factually incorrect about Laboy, I think. I'm pretty sure cutting Laboy makes his cap hit higher instead of lower.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson