Why Do Players Succeed in the NFL ?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Usually it’s because they possess a special ability. They are extremely fast. They have great hands. They exhibit terrific agility. They are strong as bulls. Simply, they are exceptional in some way.

I believe the same is true of head coaches. Some draw up very clever plays. Kingsbury rarely displays creativity. Some are great at identifying and exploiting opponent’s weakness. They may target 10 passes at the same CB. Kingsbury doesn’t do that. They are great game managers, hoarding timeouts and staying composed under pressure. They make well calculated choices. Kingsbury goes on fourth down based on self-confidence in his play choice. Some coaches are highly disciplined and their teams don’t beat themselves with stupid penalties. Kingsbury’s team piles up unforced errors. Some coaches are great play callers. They seem to have a sixth sense about how the other team will defend. This is often most evident in the red zone. Kingsbury’s offense seems confused in the red zone. They usually only find success with a great effort or an ad libbed play by the QB. Successful coaches handle critical circumstances efficiently. Kingsbury’s 2 minute drill constantly waste time and seldom provides late game heroics.

My point is I just don’t see what he does exceptionally well. His play design is ordinary and depends on players constantly having to make stellar plays. He wastes timeouts like they had no value. He just doesn’t do anything that helps lead his team to victory. This is a bad team. Kingsbury is certainly not the entire problem. I just have trouble seeing him as part of the solution.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
We have seen Kyler just plod along during 2 minute drill situations and then seeing a vet like Colt do the same tells me it's the coach taking too much time getting the plays in. The players are probably so used to him taking so much time waiting for the QB get the play in the headset, that they are just like "why bother" rushing up to the line of scrimmage

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kliff was over .500 before this season. Won 11 games last year, 8 the year before. The offense hasn't changed.

People keep writing things as if the offense has changed, or it's always been this bad.

Kliff's offense is fine, and I mean fine. It's not great, it's not awful. It's good enough to win games, it has won games.

But it's not why we suck, and I've reached the point where I'm pretty sure it's being limited by him because of what he's working with.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Players and team succeed for the following three reasons:

1. Good players being in the right system for their skill sets (this is mostly the GM and partially the coach. The good GM’s make it “easy” for their coaches because the pieces usually fit)

2. Said players properly executing the system (this is mostly the coach, partially the players. The good coaches make it “easy” for the players on the field)

3. Having a winning culture and mindset (this is GM, coach, and players). This is where we are mostly lacking. We have no adults or winners near the top in that building.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Kliff was over .500 before this season. Won 11 games last year, 8 the year before. The offense hasn't changed.

People keep writing things as if the offense has changed, or it's always been this bad.

Kliff's offense is fine, and I mean fine. It's not great, it's not awful. It's good enough to win games, it has won games.

But it's not why we suck, and I've reached the point where I'm pretty sure it's being limited by him because of what he's working with.
Kliff's offense stinks. It can be fine when it has exceptional playmakers to make it fine--when Kyler was balling out last year with weapons around him and an OL playing adequately. When the offense doesn't have exceptional playmakers all around, it falls to pieces like a 10-cent watch. One guy being out tanked our whole season. One guy. That says all I need to know about Kliffy's offense.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kliff's offense stinks. It can be fine when it has exceptional playmakers to make it fine--when Kyler was balling out last year with weapons around him and an OL playing adequately. When the offense doesn't have exceptional playmakers all around, it falls to pieces like a 10-cent watch. One guy being out tanked our whole season. One guy. That says all I need to know about Kliffy's offense.

Kyler sucking tanked the season. You know, as you have said it before, that if Kyler goes through his reads, sees the open guys and makes the passes that are available this offense is completely different. All offenses suck when you can't complete passes to open receivers.

The run game has sucked but the O line has been decimated.

As I said, his offense is fine but I'm not advocating for Kliff beyond next year and getting Kyler healthy so we can then present a healthy, recovered QB to potential replacements.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Usually it’s because they possess a special ability. They are extremely fast. They have great hands. They exhibit terrific agility. They are strong as bulls. Simply, they are exceptional in some way.

I believe the same is true of head coaches. Some draw up very clever plays. Kingsbury rarely displays creativity. Some are great at identifying and exploiting opponent’s weakness. They may target 10 passes at the same CB. Kingsbury doesn’t do that. They are great game managers, hoarding timeouts and staying composed under pressure. They make well calculated choices. Kingsbury goes on fourth down based on self-confidence in his play choice. Some coaches are highly disciplined and their teams don’t beat themselves with stupid penalties. Kingsbury’s team piles up unforced errors. Some coaches are great play callers. They seem to have a sixth sense about how the other team will defend. This is often most evident in the red zone. Kingsbury’s offense seems confused in the red zone. They usually only find success with a great effort or an ad libbed play by the QB. Successful coaches handle critical circumstances efficiently. Kingsbury’s 2 minute drill constantly waste time and seldom provides late game heroics.

My point is I just don’t see what he does exceptionally well. His play design is ordinary and depends on players constantly having to make stellar plays. He wastes timeouts like they had no value. He just doesn’t do anything that helps lead his team to victory. This is a bad team. Kingsbury is certainly not the entire problem. I just have trouble seeing him as part of the solution.
He does enough things badly that make it difficult for us to win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose