Why didn't Keim sign Aldon Smith?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really? So I have should post about every player every team signs and that would be equal to Solar not posting about his issues and double standards with signing a rapist to the CARDINALS roster but not a guy with substance abuse problems? This is a Cardinals forum right, not a Dallas forum?

And as Ive said, repeatedly, my argument is not for or against Aldon Smith. He's just the example in this thread and convenient to use.

My argument is general about double standards and fake outrage. It goes like this,

Player signs for Dallas:

Fan - I'm pleased we didn't sign him. Look at this history. The guys a scum bag. I don't want any crims on my team (ignoring all the crims already on the team). He hasn't played in years.

Player signs for fans team:

Fan - Good pickup. He was elite before. Cheap deal with no G's. All upside, no downside. All players deserve another chance, he never hurt anyone and has turned his life around. He's looked real good in camp.

Edit -------

Here's the 4 page thread on the Rucker signing. Two posters mention his history, although not accurately, one of them is negated by "he deserves a 2nd chance though" and nobody comments on them. Nothing to see here, lets keep talking about football.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/f...itter-cardinals-sign-de-frosty-rucker.192903/

The only difference between Ruckers much worse history and Smith is time and media attention.
Sorry , I’m going to disagree. There are players that I would be enraged if we had signed them. Vick, Ray Lewis, Ray Rice to name a few.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sorry , I’m going to disagree. There are players that I would be enraged if we had signed them. Vick, Ray Lewis, Ray Rice to name a few.

There are players I would be also. Anyone with serious domestic violence convictions or cases with Kareem Hunt style evidence. In theory.

But the truth is that we shouldn't pretend there are hard lines moral sands. Which is why I try to have the policy I do when it comes to past history.

If say, Mitchell Schwartz or Tre White or Danielle Hunter was cut for domestic violence accusations next week after a suitable media cooling off period (which magically absolves him of his sins) teams would be all over him for next season. 90% of this board would be all over the idea of him coming here. Of course, this would never had to an all pro level player the way it would to to Johnny Journeyman on most teams, but the NFL's double standards is a different story.

Same would go for any pro bowl / all pro level player in the league.

Same would go for Aldon Smith at the end of this season if he gets 10+ sacks and is a free agent. Every team in the league would be interested and so would most fans because suddenly his past sins don't mean as much as what he can add to the team. And it would be viewed that Dallas was the sin eater, Smith was now washed clean and he was fair game.

The only reason people are saying "no way" now is he doesn't have enough recent production to absolve him in the eyes of the football gods.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Really? So I have should post about every player every team signs and that would be equal to Solar not posting about his issues and double standards with signing a rapist to the CARDINALS roster but not a guy with substance abuse problems? This is a Cardinals forum right, not a Dallas forum?

And as Ive said, repeatedly, my argument is not for or against Aldon Smith. He's just the example in this thread and convenient to use.

My argument is general about double standards and fake outrage. It goes like this,

Player signs for Dallas:

Fan - I'm pleased we didn't sign him. Look at this history. The guys a scum bag. I don't want any crims on my team (ignoring all the crims already on the team). He hasn't played in years.

Player signs for fans team:

Fan - Good pickup. He was elite before. Cheap deal with no G's. All upside, no downside. All players deserve another chance, he never hurt anyone and has turned his life around. He's looked real good in camp.

Edit -------

Here's the 4 page thread on the Rucker signing. Two posters mention his history, although not accurately, one of them is negated by "he deserves a 2nd chance though" and nobody comments on them. Nothing to see here, lets keep talking about football.

https://www.arizonasportsfans.com/f...itter-cardinals-sign-de-frosty-rucker.192903/

The only difference between Ruckers much worse history and Smith is time and media attention.

Bro, there's two threads up right now with the ridiculous concepts of bringing in top flight WRs in a trade right now. People are constantly recommending all kinds of moves. It's such a common thing on this board that we have this emoji for it: :bhiich:.

That's not to mention the 40+ offseason threads about what this team should do to improve, and our free agency plans. Doesn't seem like you mentioned Aldon Smith a single time.

As far as Frostee Rucker goes, I'll admit, at the time I didn't know anything about his history. By the time we signed him, he'd spent 7 years in the league without so much as a suspension. The sexual assault is troubling, although he said it was consensual, and no jail time was served, so it's kinda weird.

But your defense about Aldon as "a guy with substance abuse issues" is completely freaking ridiculous. Three DUIs. A hit and run. Domestic violence. All of these things are harmful to other people and with three DUIs and a hit and run, he's lucky he didn't kill someone.

You keep wanting to talk about ignoring character, but how well did that work for the Bengals? Remember when Vontaze Burfict lost his freaking mind against the Steelers and cost his whole team the playoffs?

Character counts.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Had to check the box score to see if smith , Lawrence or Griffen even played yesterday. Didn’t hear either of their names called once last night .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose