Why did the Gretzky Era fail so hard?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I remember the excitement when he basically hired himself as coach a from a part ownership role. There was some weird stuff about his wife getting into trouble gambling and rumors that he played more golf than coached. Was he going to fail because of the situation like basically every Coyotes coach?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a long story, but to sum it up, just because you're a great player doesn't mean you'll be a great coach.

This franchise started off on the wrong foot and has proceeded to shoot both feet for almost its entire existence. If they survive this rebuild, it will be the most secure footing they've ever enjoyed. Still plenty that could go wrong, but the plan right now is sound.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know the history, but I sat next to Joe Blow, the fan, at a game once. He proceeded to rant about how Gretzky ruined the franchise by sucking all of the money, leaving them with nothing. He started foaming at the mouth and the Mrs said it was time to get away from him. Didn't help his humor that the Yotes were down 4-zip in the first period to the AVs. Dude had major hate for the Great One.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave