Why did Suns Collapse in Playoffs?

Finito

Banned
Reaction score
If by major changes you mean blowing up the core or trading away a part of the core than I don't necessarily agree.

It all starts with what was going on with the team that caused the team to fall off at the end. If there is a truly detrimental personality amongst the core than absolutely that guy has to go, but if it's things that can be reconciled than we can simply look to reload and get a couple more consistent contributors and make another run.

The only caveat is that we may have only one more legit shot at a run with CP and thus we may need to make a splash move in order to make sure that we have the best chance possible.

But the reality is with CP3 leading the way we really don’t have a shot either

cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a hard truth people here, and more importantly in the organization, probably won’t admit to themselves.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• don't poke the bear.jpeg
    don't poke the bear.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 1

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we have a better shot with CP3 than without him but unfortunately we don't have much of a shot either way. Unless our younger players take significants steps forward, we're going to be passed by a few more teams.

Finito

Banned
Reaction score
Here is a link to the Burns and Gambo podcast with James Jones on 5-18-2022.

Keep Ayton unless you can get a star for him

Get rid of CP3

Fire Monty and make Ty Lou the highest paid coach in the NBA.

Not gonna happen at all but that’s my plan

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep Ayton unless you can get a star for him

Get rid of CP3

Fire Monty and make Ty Lou the highest paid coach in the NBA.

Not gonna happen at all but that’s my plan

A key problem is the Suns were down to one play maker and scorer against the Mavericks in Devin Booker. He was double and triple teamed so this is not going to work going forward.

Suns can't count on Chris Paul and Cam Payne except intermittently. It's not an accident the Mavs were able to exploit the Suns with three point guards at least two of which could create their own shot.

They need more scorers and play makers. IMO, it's more a personnel problem than anything else.

If a team wants Chris Paul, then explore it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably in here somewhere but apparently Payne said publicly that Booker had a hamstring problem(known) CP 3 had a quad injury(not sure if public or not) Ayton tore something in his thumb in game 1 and played through it, and that Payne had a back injury.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably in here somewhere but apparently Payne said publicly that Booker had a hamstring problem(known) CP 3 had a quad injury(not sure if public or not) Ayton tore something in his thumb in game 1 and played through it, and that Payne had a back injury.
Maybe I missed it but the only one I'd heard about was CP's injury. Booker has had hamstring problems in the past but I don't know if it was still an issue (or again an issue).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it but the only one I'd heard about was CP's injury. Booker has had hamstring problems in the past but I don't know if it was still an issue (or again an issue).

It's in a thing that popped up on my FB feed. Unfortunately once you scroll by it, it doesn't come back,. Most of the comments on it were telling him to quit making excuses. The Ayton thumb thing was a complete surprise to me I had no idea he was hurt.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I only read about Paul being injured. Booker had recovered from a hamstring issue.

The above would explain a lot though. The Suns were depleted at point guard. They weren't getting the job done.