Why David Johnson was so 'awful' last year - and why he'll be great again

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Brighteyes, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

I'm referring to your read on how "Kingsbury doesn't know the coaches" and yada yada yada.

Arians hire was NOT viewed positively. I think you have your facts wrong here. See Kerouac's comment. Most people viewed him as a career assistant who hadn't gotten a shot for a reason.

I know you asked about things he did wrong in this thread or another thread. There were TONS of small mistakes he made over the last few years. Things like lining up Kerwynn Williams on the edge on the Field goal unit and having Richard Sherman (I think it was) block a kick by totally bowling over Williams. Anyone who followed the Cardinals closely KNEW Williams can't block you or me. That's a tactical blunder. He also didn't adapt his scheme quick enough for injuries.

What about Brandon Williams getting beat repeatedly against the Patriots? That's coaching. If you want I can continue...but he made a lot of mistakes over the last two seasons he was with the Cardinals. Heck, everyone knew Amos Jones was a horrible coach and yet Arians stuck with him.

2. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

Kingsbury's offense at Tech was not written down. It was a video playbook. How complicated could it be?

So many words. Bama's zone seemed to work just fine against the Air Raid until they started putting in their subs.

My understanding is that the Air Raid concept is a bunch of linked "If this/then that" concepts for a couple areas of the field. Isolate one combination of safety/corner and the QB only has to wait for one or the other to make the wrong step. You create holes by expanding the size of the field that defenses have to defend (as Mike Leach explains here: https://arizonasports.com/story/1798629/mike-leach-kliff-kingsbury-air-raid-nfl-aliens/).

The problem is that defenses are more sophisticated at closing those holes in the NFL, and NFL pass rushers are more adept and disrupting the pocket before receivers can pressure that 20-30 yard range.

I don't have a subscription to the Athletic, but this seems like an intriguing article from even before the draft: https://theathletic.com/805858/2019...ingsburys-air-raid-offense-adapts-to-the-nfl/

3. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

Krang - You point to various BA miscues, and you might be right. Yet it is still possible that BA was right for that Cardinal team despite those miscues.

When BA came aboard, the Cardinals had a somewhat lackluster offense. BA brought a more creative approach involving chunk yardage and stretching the field. He also recognized Carson Palmer's ability and forged a good working relationship.

So now we have Kingsbury. I'm sure many people will point to specific wrong-headed coaching decisions he's made, but could it just be that he'll bring in approaches that help us win?

My hope re Murray - I've seen him on tape deliver the ball quickly, accurately and on time. If he's done it once, he can be coached to do it again (hopefully on a consistent basis).

CardNots likes this.
  4. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I'll let the Arians thing rest. My research is bringing up a mixed bag, and it was many years ago.

As far as "what he did wrong," that was about a personnel standpoint and how it set up the future. There's no doubt in my mind that we ended his era without a ton of young talent, but functionally it was either blowing it all up after 2015 and rebuilding, or trying to push and try again. I don't know what else he as a coach should have done from a personnel standpoint to put us in position for the future.

5. ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals Registered

It’s the off season ...pump in the kool aid all you want

Having watched every play live and rewatching a lot of the season It was easy to see DJ went down on contact way way way too often.
    Previous years he’d fight through arm tackles...he showed he was content to go down and protect himself...remember he only averaged 53 yards a game....NOT GOOD

Till I see it I’m not buying into DJ this coming season.

It’s about the same time as last year word was Bradford could be great threads ran.

It’s nothing more than Kool aid time for all the teams fans.

kerouac9 likes this.
  6. PACardsFan

PACardsFan Registered User

Nothing wrong with a little koolaid in the middle of the summer!! I agree that DJ was less than stellar, but that moron Wilks ran him into the middle of the DLine about 160 times. That’s a beating that no one should have to take. I’m going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. This will be a telling season for DJ.

7. Krangthebrain

I'm criticizing strategy.

Putting a well below average blocker to block the edge on a field goal block unit is criminal.

wit3card likes this.
  8. Passepartout

Passepartout July Fireworks

Just hope he can be great again. It seems that having new deals can really hurt a player. But really great player and a classier guy.

9. cardpa

cardpa I'm all right

SO I guess we are going to see 53 players walking around the sidelines carrying ipads with the plays on them.;) Hope they are connected to each other.

10. Krangthebrain

I don't fault Arians for the personnel issues, that's Keims deal. Pushing to win today can sometimes have disastrous effects tomorrow.

My vote for impending disaster for an NFL team this year is the Dolphins. I think Brian Flores is going to be embarrassingly bad. Josh Rosen went to a really bad situation. The Dolphins lack talent at a few key positions. Their offensive line was worse than Cardinal's line last year, but they weren't as banged up. But at least they embraced the rebuild instead of trying to compete. If Rosen catches on, their window will open quicker.

daves likes this.
  11. JeffGollin

JeffGollin Registered User

What we know:

DJ didn't produce last season.

DJ did perform well before that.

We don't know why.

If a player performed at a high standard before, he should (barring injury) be put in a position to do it again.

Whether DJ reaches his earlier level of production depends on (1) whether he's healthy, (2) whether the coaches can push the right buttons (scheme-wise or player-wise) or 3) something we don't know about

PACardsFan likes this.
  12. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

At the same time, I don't know if your head coach/OC/QB coach should necessarily be micro-managing personnel for special teams, either. You can reasonably say that part of his broader failure was his inability to help a special teams unit (and coach, maybe) who was clearly struggling for a few seasons, but I think that's as far as it goes.

I don't see why Oakland wouldn't be the catastrophe this year.

13. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

I have him in my dynasty league so I hope he bounces back

PACardsFan likes this.
  14. Krangthebrain

No, you dont want your HC micromanaging ST at all, but when one of your subordinates continually fails and you have to ability to intervene, you must or you are held accountable.

I remember how you kept pointing out that the Cardinals were winning a lot of one score games at a much higher than average clip, and that regression to the mean was bound to happen. When you are in so many games like that, small special teams mistakes are huge. Running out a CB like Brandon William's who effectively was worse than most practice squad CBs is a huge mistake. Even bigger mistake is leaving William's in an important game while he continues to get burned over and over.

The scary part is that I am concerned that Arians was covering for a lot of personnel mistakes. Is that all on Keim? Or did uncle Bruce have a lot of say in who Keim drafted?

15. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

DJ will be better by usage alone.

Here is what we know...

DJ, coming out of college, was not good running between the tackles. Shocking that last year, when he was run between the tackles a ridiculous amount of times, he struggled. Not doing that again, will make him better.

daves likes this.