Why can St. Louis do it and we can't?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Per Sando... St. Louis is starting a first career starter at LT, a first career starter at LG, and a backup center. Packers rushed 5 or more at least 65% of the times, which is pretty high, and St. Louis OL and Bradford only gave up 3 sacks with 2 of them losing zero yards when he was trying to scramble.

Vikings rushed only four throughout the entire game and went with cover 2 most of the time and yet we gave up 7 sacks!!

Why can St. Louis do it and we can't???? Not only that, we are down right atrocious and on track for breaking all NFL records for sacks, hits, hurries...

1. Do we have absolutely horrendous players at OL?? I mean they are supposed to be NFL players... If Batiste is so bad, why the hell he has been on our roster as a backup since at some point backups are expected to play, like our current situation. Or is Massie a complete bust? Or is he not ready yet? Not enough bulk? No technique? That brings to second point...

2. Do we have absolutely incompetent coaches who are unable to coach up these players, correcting their techniques, using correct schemes??? Can they not evaluate talent like Batiste who has been thru full training camp(s) and multiple practices? How about bringing in Snyder who is also average at best but I think he is below average?

This is so damn frustrating... flushing down the drain a strong defensive effort that could have propelled us to playoffs with just mediocre OL/offense play.

Rant over... I got ticked off listening to Sando's blog.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Our Oline situation has always been, and will always be Grimm..

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Ummm-----St. Louis has a decent O-line coach?????

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can DO IT. First two games didn't we onlygivevup like 4 sacks?

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
First three games we gave up only 5 or 6 sacks... what happenned since then????

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First three games we gave up only 5 or 6 sacks... what happenned since then????

The first games were a combination of not much tape on us, and replacement refs allowing Batiste to hold on every down. Real refs came back, people had tape, Grimm knew holding would get called now, disaster.

IMO

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bradford throws it into the dirt sooner/faster than Skelton?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Per Sando... St. Louis is starting a first career starter at LT, a first career starter at LG, and a backup center. Packers rushed 5 or more at least 65% of the times, which is pretty high, and St. Louis OL and Bradford only gave up 3 sacks with 2 of them losing zero yards when he was trying to scramble.

Vikings rushed only four throughout the entire game and went with cover 2 most of the time and yet we gave up 7 sacks!!

Why can St. Louis do it and we can't???? Not only that, we are down right atrocious and on track for breaking all NFL records for sacks, hits, hurries...

1. Do we have absolutely horrendous players at OL?? I mean they are supposed to be NFL players... If Batiste is so bad, why the hell he has been on our roster as a backup since at some point backups are expected to play, like our current situation. Or is Massie a complete bust? Or is he not ready yet? Not enough bulk? No technique? That brings to second point...

2. Do we have absolutely incompetent coaches who are unable to coach up these players, correcting their techniques, using correct schemes??? Can they not evaluate talent like Batiste who has been thru full training camp(s) and multiple practices? How about bringing in Snyder who is also average at best but I think he is below average?

This is so damn frustrating... flushing down the drain a strong defensive effort that could have propelled us to playoffs with just mediocre OL/offense play.

Skelton is not a mobile QB. He may be one of the slowest starters in the league.To his credit he is tough and can shake would be tacklers. The St Louis QB does have the ability to move around which may be the reason he was sacked less.

IMHO we just cannot start Kolb or Skelton next year. I do not care if we trade for a QB or use one from the draft, or sign a FA. The time has come to recognize our existing QBs are never going to win anything. Kolb may be a decent backup as he will be less likely to get injured and on occasion can get hot which would lend itself towards a backup. The Eagles had it right with Kolb as a backup.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I have been iffy as to just how far up a coach can improve a player. I think they can be more effective with the skill positions such as QB but even then the player must be good to start with. Play plans are probably the most important thing coaches bring to the table IMHO. Guys who put the heart and soul into their jobs day in and day out. I do not think you can take a group of mediocre players and coach them up to Superbowl status. There are certainly limits. Teams that have people who have the genius to recognize talent in the draft are very important. The GM often gets the credit for great drafts but he gets his information largely from people lower down on the totem poll. These may be the true genius of a draft. Organization is super important. Do you have a well oiled organization to effectively capitalize on everyone's talent? This is an area where the Cards have been sadly lacking for many many years. Mr. B was the organization. If you had a board showing the Chain of Command in his organization he would be at the top[ and everyone else just scattered all over the place. He was King and everyone else was a serf. We seemed to have advanced beyond that but as long as he is alive he will have his say in any major deal one way or the other. He probably still controls the purse strings.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skelton is not a mobile QB. He may be one of the slowest starters in the league.To his credit he is tough and can shake would be tacklers. The St Louis QB does have the ability to move around which may be the reason he was sacked less.

IMHO we just cannot start Kolb or Skelton next year. I do not care if we trade for a QB or use one from the draft, or sign a FA. The time has come to recognize our existing QBs are never going to win anything. Kolb may be a decent backup as he will be less likely to get injured and on occasion can get hot which would lend itself towards a backup. The Eagles had it right with Kolb as a backup.

And I feel that with this Oline, we aren't going to have a successful QB until it is fixed. If it weren't so terrible, and even maybe simply average, the QB play would be much better, even from average or below average guys like Kolb or Skelton.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I feel that with this Oline, we aren't going to have a successful QB until it is fixed. If it weren't so terrible, and even maybe simply average, the QB play would be much better, even from average or below average guys like Kolb or Skelton.
The OL is terrible and needs to be fixed. K and S just miss on too many throws in terms of both flat out misses and in terms of placement.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Ummm-----St. Louis has a decent O-line coach?????
Nailed it. Paul Boudreau has been the difference. I just call him MacGyver with what he's done thus far this season. Helluva OLine coach.

OLine coach Steve Loney was finally replaced by coach Fisher after an inexplicable 4 year run under both head coaches, Scott Linehan and Spagnuolo.

Cards fans should be familiar with Loney(2006)....he's AWFUL. Good players regressed,bad players stayed bad.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Our drafts.

Last time we drafted a offensive lineman in the first round was Levi Brown.

San Francisco has drafted 3 offensive lineman in the past couple of drafts in the first round.

We need to draft better.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OL is terrible and needs to be fixed. K and S just miss on too many throws in terms of both flat out misses and in terms of placement.

I agree, but they are often throwing on the move or under duress.

I don't want to assume that's the way they'd operate if they weren't hurried every other dropback.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't want to assume that's the way they'd operate if they weren't hurried every other dropback.
They miss on throws 75% of 50% of the other times.

#sexualpanther

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How many sacks has Peyton Manning taken this year? And how many sacks have the Cards given up? We sucked before the year started, shoulda fired Whiz's best friend along time ago. Worst in the League for 3 years in a row, now we can't even get free agent O-line guys here. They know what's up, the whole League knows what's up. Our O-line is the joke of the NFL, and has been that way for awhile.

Look at every 4th quarter this year and you will see the same thing you saw last year, and the year before that. Teams just go after our QB and double Fitz. They cut both heads off the snake when they do it. Grimm can't stay a coach much longer. I remember when folks were saying Grimm was going somewhere else, I wish they had been right.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

It also doesn't help that our WRs need 4 seconds to get open except for the TE over the middle and the just short of the first down marker curl route.

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
How many sacks has Peyton Manning taken this year? And how many sacks have the Cards given up? We sucked before the year started, shoulda fired Whiz's best friend along time ago. Worst in the League for 3 years in a row, now we can't even get free agent O-line guys here. They know what's up, the whole League knows what's up. Our O-line is the joke of the NFL, and has been that way for awhile.

Look at every 4th quarter this year and you will see the same thing you saw last year, and the year before that. Teams just go after our QB and double Fitz. They cut both heads off the snake when they do it. Grimm can't stay a coach much longer. I remember when folks were saying Grimm was going somewhere else, I wish they had been right.
I really like Whiz but if firing him is the only way to get rid of Grimm, I'm all for it because we are not going to go anywhere with this OL that has really gotten worse a lot than improved. As the old cliche goes, games are won and lost in the trenches.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson