Why and why not?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s been a whole lot of conversation here about who to draft. Just about any name you or I suggest can and is supported or shut down for a variety of reasons. I’m listing 6 names that have been mentioned the most. Please list your why and why nots. Please don’t comment on what each poster might contribute. This is all about your thoughts.

1. Isaiah Simmons.
Why? Because I think he is a superb athlete that adds versatility that no other player in this draft can
Why not? I don’t have a why not for him other than he won’t be available.

2. Derrick Brown
Why? He would add depth to what might be a thin defensive line. Brown , Peters and Phillips make a very formidable starting defensive line.
Why not? Some claim he’s not the absolute slam dunk choice. Nobody is calling him the next Arron Donald.

3. Jeffery Okudah.
Why? Consensus best CB in the draft. Very well could replace Alford this year and add flexibility if PP21 can’t be signed to an extended deal... or maybe we won’t want to.
Why not? I think Alford will be adequate. Pp21 returns to form and Murphy moves to nickel where he belongs. Bigger needs elsewhere.

4. Wirfs.
Why? Because sooner or later this team needs to invest in young talent and build a strong o- line in front of Kyler. Not only could Wirfs fill in or start at RT he could be a force inside at guard if needed.
Why not? the guys we brought back has lessened the dire need at o-line. If I’m taking a lineman this high I want a slam dunk all pro.

5. Wills.
Why? Awesome prospect that has played RT ( because Tua is a southpaw?) and can eventually move to the left. Again how long can we put off investing in the o-line?
Why not? See Wirfs.

6. CeeDee Lamb
Why? Adding Lamb gives Kyler a familiar awesome talent. If Hopkins ( or Fitz) were to get hurt we’d be in the same exact position we were in last year. It would be a solid investment into the future when Fitz calls it a career. I want weapons for Kyler now and hope that ONE of the 3 Wr from last year steps up.
Why not? How many wr’s does this offense need? Hopkins, Fitz and Kirk make an attractive trio. Kirk hopefully explodes with Hopkins on his side. And isn’t Lamb just a Hopkins clone?

Feel free to switch out names like Becton, Kinlaw, Juedy or Ruggs.

Remember, don’t critique my reasons. Use this opportunity to express yours. Right Solar? Lol.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can't argue with much you said there.
The one player you left off the list, I just don't understand how people have soured on him.
Andrew Thomas. He has & can play both tackle positions. He's amazing as a run blocker, doesn't give up sacks. He may give a little ground in pass protection but very rarely gets beat, at the college level anyway. There was a video put up of him on here by Krangthebrain, it showed one flaw, he allows his man to get his hands on the inside, that can be fixed. Dude is huge & has all pro potential imo. He blocked against the best DL's in the country for 3 yrs (SEC) if I was SK & selecting an OT, Thomas would be the choice.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't argue with much you said there.
The one player you left off the list, I just don't understand how people have soured on him.
Andrew Thomas. He has & can play both tackle positions. He's amazing as a run blocker, doesn't give up sacks. He may give a little ground in pass protection but very rarely gets beat, at the college level anyway. There was a video put up of him on here by Krangthebrain, it showed one flaw, he allows his man to get his hands on the inside, that can be fixed. Dude is huge & has all pro potential imo. He blocked against the best DL's in the country for 3 yrs (SEC) if I was SK & selecting an OT, Thomas would be the choice.
I’ve said in previous post I actually think this is the guy we draft.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree with that. Thomas seems like the safest pick at OT. Keim really needs to hit on a first rounder and someone safe like Thomas would do that.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okudah, Simmons, D Brown, the 2 QB's, the 4 OL's , with possibly Kinlaw to fill out a top 10 prospect grouping.

Depends on how the Cardinal top 10 board shakes out. Any of these guys would be OK here (though I think the first 3 would help us most). I wouldn't trade down past #10. And I'd pass on the WR's (It takes 22 positions to make a village).

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we don't trade back then:

1 Simmons. Why, he is DWash plus and that's what our D misses most. Why not, cause he won't be there at 8 and we can't afford to trade up.

1a Okudah. Why, Can never have enough great CB's plus does PP want to re-sign with the Cards. Why not, Can't see him being available.

2 Kinlaw. Why, he is the athlete that Brown isn't and can provide a pass rush. Dline is the biggest area of need after the work that SK did during FA. Why not. DT's taken top ten in rd 1 are maybe the biggest risk.

3 Brown. Why, dude is a beast and is mean and is a high character guy and hustles. Why not. I shouldn't let combine results impact me this much but I am concerned about his combine results. Plus DT's taken in.....

4 Bechton. Why, Gigantor is also an incredible athlete with a mean streak. Men that big aren't suppose to be able to move like that. If he isn't needed at OT this year he could win a starting OG spot. Why not, his technique needs a ton of work because being the biggest dude on the field won't simply cut it in the NFL.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My preference is we trade back to get a 2nd rd pick.

1 Kinlaw. Why, he may still be available and now he most likely won't be a top ten pick.

2 OT (any of the remaining top 4). Why, we need to improve the Oline. Why not, can't think of a reason.

3 Best BPA available on D. Why, Defense still needs some help. Why not, can't think of a reason.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
1. Simmons - allows the DC to play a myriad alignments & provides cover for injuries.
He’s not a perfect fit for any one position.
2 Brown - he’ll plug up the middle making the Cards hard to run against. It’s not clear he’ll become a decent pass rusher.
3 Okudah - he’s the surest CB in recent years. He solve the #2 slot and could move to #1 as 21 declines.
It’s hard to commit that many dollars to a #2 corner
4 Wirfs - plug and play RT who could stay there 10 years.
He needs to improve his footwork to stay at RT.
5 Wills - he’s very athletic and should be versatile enough to play OT or G.
He’s not mean enough to make me certain he’ll dominate.
6 Lamb - his rapport with Murray makes him safest pick in the draft & his YAC ability makes him the perfect fit for this offense.
He lacks the speed to spread the field.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I agree with that. Thomas seems like the safest pick at OT. Keim really needs to hit on a first rounder and someone safe like Thomas would do that.
I mean, he's played both tackle positions at Georgia. His freshman yr playing RT, he made the freshman all American team. I understand Wirfs played both also at Iowa but people are talking about him at Guard instead of Tackle. No one is talking about Thomas having to play Guard in the NFL.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
4 Wirfs - plug and play RT who could stay there 10 years.
He needs to improve his footwork to stay at RT.
5 Wills - he’s very athletic and should be versatile enough to play OT or G.
He’s not mean enough to make me certain he’ll dominate.

Your assessment on these two continues to baffle me. It’s almost as if your mixing them up because most scouting I’ve read and film I’ve watched supports the exact opposite of what you suggest.

Wills is the mean one and likely only a RT, while Wirfs is the athletic one with positional versatility.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Obviously some of these have the caveat that they won't be there.

1. Simmons.
Why - This is an elite talent that should be placed all around the field, creating constant mismatches. He could really be a beast at ILB.
Why Not? - Can Vance Joseph get the best out of him? Is he creative enough? I also do worry that this team moves guys around to new positions a little too much in an era where snaps aren't as prevalent. Reps are hard to come by.

2. Wirfs
Why - He's a true specimen. If you really trust Kugler, give him the guy with the potential to outperform everyone. As for the guard concerns? Sweezy is a free agent at the end of the season anyways. If we have to move him, move him.
Why Not? - Do you grade the other tackles out better? Is he consistent?

3. Okudah
Why - Elite talent. I firmly believe he'll be very good. If the 49ers or other teams in the division are going to acquire more young WRs, he'll cover them. Additionally, there's insurance for the aging Peterson and Alford.
Why Not? - Resource management. The strength of this division outside of our own team is no longer the passing game. I don't need a player of Okudah's caliber covering Josh Reynolds or Jaron Brown. How is a 3rd/4th CB shutting down the dominant running games of the other teams?

4. Wills
Why - He seems ready to step in and be a day one starter at RT. He's a technician, by most accounts. In a world where there might not be much coaching before play, I like a guy who doesn't need to be hand held. He's got plenty of other top tier traits.
Why Not? - He might not have the physically dominant traits of the others. Recent history hasn't been favorable to Alabama offensive linemen, but at the same time... I don't really believe in the myth that you should judge someone based on their school.

5. Becton
Uh, see Wirfs, I guess. Probably more concerned people are enamored with his size instead of production, though.

6. Lamb
Why - Elite talent, great relationship with our QB, Lambs are nice animals. Jokes aside, he'll be a good player. I loved watching him play, and while watching all of Kyler's snaps pre-2019 draft, I thought he was the reason Kyler was any good.
Why Not? - DeAndre Hopkins, Larry Fitzgerald, and Christian Kirk. Plus three young WRs from last year. No team needs a 4th WR this bad. See the same for Jeudy.

7. Ruggs
Why - He's fast and I guess John Brown was fun to watch for a season. Tyreek Hill is also fast and fun to watch.
Why Not - See the rest of the WR discussion. If you want a 4th guy to run go routes (and I know he's capable of more, but in the framework of what has been argued we need him for), use the late rounds.

Harry

Reaction score
Mean players (see Conrad Dobler) don’t take plays off. Former NFL player Stephen White wrote, “On several of the plays where he was beaten inside, Wills obviously relaxed at some point during the play. There were also a few plays I saw where he was blocking one guy pretty well, but then after a while he would start looking around behind him, as if trying to see if the ball had been thrown or something“. Sometimes Wirfs’ affability gets confused with toughness. I like Wirfs response, “He said the biggest criticism he hears from pro scouts is that he's not mean enough. Bemused by that perception, he noted he once had 14 knockdowns in a game against Nebraska.”. Maybe I’m not using the best descriptor. Wills has talent. Does he have the drive Wirfs has? As to who plays where, Wirfs played a little LT and was okay, but he was outstanding at RT. Wills can play RT and either guard. He probably could backup LT, but not start.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re why nots for Okudah are silly. There is no arguable reason to not take him if he is there. None whatsoever. That being said it will never happen..

Last edited:

Harry

Reaction score
You’re why knots for Okudah are silly. There is no arguable reason to not take him if he is there. None whatsoever. That being said it will never happen..
Not as silly as “knots”. It is a lousy reason, sort of, but the format required one. It is true that in capworld you have to be careful not to overspend on a position. They could fail to extend 21, but I was presuming they wanted to keep him.

Rain Man

Rookie
Reaction score
There’s been a whole lot of conversation here about who to draft. Just about any name you or I suggest can and is supported or shut down for a variety of reasons. I’m listing 6 names that have been mentioned the most. Please list your why and why nots. Please don’t comment on what each poster might contribute. This is all about your thoughts.

1. Isaiah Simmons.
Why? Because I think he is a superb athlete that adds versatility that no other player in this draft can
Why not? I don’t have a why not for him other than he won’t be available.

2. Derrick Brown
Why? He would add depth to what might be a thin defensive line. Brown , Peters and Phillips make a very formidable starting defensive line.
Why not? Some claim he’s not the absolute slam dunk choice. Nobody is calling him the next Arron Donald.

3. Jeffery Okudah.
Why? Consensus best CB in the draft. Very well could replace Alford this year and add flexibility if PP21 can’t be signed to an extended deal... or maybe we won’t want to.
Why not? I think Alford will be adequate. Pp21 returns to form and Murphy moves to nickel where he belongs. Bigger needs elsewhere.

4. Wirfs.
Why? Because sooner or later this team needs to invest in young talent and build a strong o- line in front of Kyler. Not only could Wirfs fill in or start at RT he could be a force inside at guard if needed.
Why not? the guys we brought back has lessened the dire need at o-line. If I’m taking a lineman this high I want a slam dunk all pro.

5. Wills.
Why? Awesome prospect that has played RT ( because Tua is a southpaw?) and can eventually move to the left. Again how long can we put off investing in the o-line?
Why not? See Wirfs.

6. CeeDee Lamb
Why? Adding Lamb gives Kyler a familiar awesome talent. If Hopkins ( or Fitz) were to get hurt we’d be in the same exact position we were in last year. It would be a solid investment into the future when Fitz calls it a career. I want weapons for Kyler now and hope that ONE of the 3 Wr from last year steps up.
Why not? How many wr’s does this offense need? Hopkins, Fitz and Kirk make an attractive trio. Kirk hopefully explodes with Hopkins on his side. And isn’t Lamb just a Hopkins clone?

Feel free to switch out names like Becton, Kinlaw, Juedy or Ruggs.

Remember, don’t critique my reasons. Use this opportunity to express yours. Right Solar? Lol.

Nice!

I like the "why not"

At pick 8 we can get another Riddick or a Dan Williams. Trading down is an option of course but it all depends on what happens.

So a new light on the SITUATION is the style of the draft this year. I feel the Cards are new school now and before Kingsbury? I'd definitely feel different.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not as silly as “knots”. It is a lousy reason, sort of, but the format required one. It is true that in capworld you have to be careful not to overspend on a position. They could fail to extend 21, but I was presuming they wanted to keep him.

stupid voice text... lol.... PP is will be 30 at seasons start and Okudah would be on a rookie contract with the cap getting ready to explode upward. Another 4 years of QB on a rookie contract as well possibly. It shouldn’t be a problem. No more a problem then our WR corps then all the folks wanting to take one at 8 with Hop and Fitz already there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave