Why analytics really liked the Cards draft

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by football karma, May 15, 2019.

1. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

from the Ringer, on analytics, a good read overall on the factors in college that correlate to actual NFL success:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/4/22/18510099/nfl-draft-analytics-player-tracking

two blurbs for Cardinal fans:

"PFF focuses on what are called “NFL throws,” which are exactly as they sound.......A deep post route into coverage separates Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes II from Blake Bortles.” Even though Mayfield and Mahomes didn’t have the highest volume of NFL throws during their college careers, they excelled at them. (PFF, by these metrics, loves Kyler Murray.)"

as for the 33rd pick:

Another thing PFF has found that relates to the draft is that highly graded coverage players are just as important, and perhaps more so, than highly graded pass rushers. Pass rush and coverage are correlated, but the direction arrow points more towards coverage helping pass rush more than the other way around.”

2. bennyperrin23

bennyperrin23 Rookie

Great article! Loved it thanks.

3. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

It almost makes it look like we know what we’re doing.

4. Krangthebrain

Krangthebrain Captain of Team Murray

5. Ohcrap75

Ohcrap75 Registered

I would love to think that the Cardinals have moved to the front of the class with analytics! Very good article and thanks for sharing! The last paragraph saying KC is a smart franchise and invests in the secondary over pass rushers was kind of funny, since they have recently traded away Peters, let Berry go and then traded and paid Frank Clark

daves likes this.
  6. Krangthebrain

I read something years ago and I wish I could find it now, but the article went back to the beginning of the Super Bowl era and showed that pass defense has ALWAYS been more important even when teams ran alot more often.

Super Bowl 1 Green Bay Packers didnt have an amazing run defense, but their pass defense was about the best in the league.

For the article they used a stat that was created and it was called passer rating differential and it was basically your teams ability to pass, minus your ability to stop the pass. The two best teams usually go deep in the playoffs.

daves likes this.
  7. Garthshort

Garthshort Registered User

Ohcrap, in business that's called an attention getter. The guy writing the article wanted to make sure, you're paying attention. :)

8. Krangthebrain

That's not what the article said, it said that the Chiefs are changing their focus by letting pass rushers go and replacing them with better pass defenders.

Marcus Peters has been the most overrated cornerback in the NFL since he came into the league.

PFF had a graphic from before last season that showed he had given up more yards than any CB in the league since he arrived. Sure he has had 7 interception years, but he gave up 15 TDs and 1500 yards.

9. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

The importance of a pass defense is only highlighted if you have an offense that can out-execute the opposing offense. NE prioritizes the secondary because they believe they are able to execute extended scoring drives while other teams will not. It is essentially banking on the opposing offense creating negative plays which will stall out their drives.

daves likes this.
  10. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

11. Ohcrap75

Ohcrap75 Registered

upload_2019-5-16_12-48-35.png

My statement was almost word for word with what they said. Not sure how I was wrong?

12. Krangthebrain

Well they did let Houston and Dee Ford go, but yeah traded for Frank Clark.

Brought in Mathieu but let Berry go.

On further examination, yeah, I think it is a curious example.

Ohcrap75 likes this.
  13. Krangthebrain

IMO we many look back at the decision to draft Rosen as a gamble on a QBOF that didn't work out and the team quickly remedied that.

I know you aren't as hopeful about Murray as I am, but if he turns out to be a good QB and Rosen ends up being a league average QB, I think the Cardinals are going to be looked at more favorably for drafting Murray. Sure, you can can pan taking Rosen in the first place because there are/were indicators that he's not going to be a franchise QB, but I think if you don't have a QB, you do what you can to get one.

I know I've hammered on this point, but Haskins' 73 QB Rating under pressure is a huge red flag. Few QBs that aren't good under pressure end up being good. You can make the argument that he only started one year, so maybe if he starts his second year in college that he gets much better, but it's a big gamble at this point in time.

daves and Crimson Warrior like this.
  14. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

I don't think there's much difference between a "good" QB and a "league average" QB. I think that Murray has to turn out to be a transcendent/elite QB for the Cards not to look foolish. The idea that Murray can end up somewhere between the 8th and 12th best QB in the league three years from now seems unlikely. He'll either be one of the five best or looking at baseball again.

IMO, Rosen is/was probably never going to be Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers (who had a +9 CPOE at Cal the year before he was drafted(!!)), but he could be like a better Kirk Cousins. The kind of guy who can support a very good defense and make the plays necessary to win games. He could've been a good QB for a Steve Wilks-style team. Or (maybe) a Brian Flores-style team.

We'll never know if he could be a good QB in a Kliff Kingsbury-style team, but I think you'd always wonder about the fit. We're not going to run a Pro Style offense, so we don't need a pro-style QB.

I don't know what the sample size is for either of those pressure stats for Murray or Haskins. I'm guessing they're pretty small, though.

15. Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior Always a Gentleman

Agree, mainly because "good" QB play is at such a premium in the NFL.