Who/What would you trade for Booker?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's really fascinating. The fear of his going somewhere else and becoming Kobe 2 probably prevents any trade. Once you get a young superstar you just cannot trade him away. He is hugely popular here. He is about as close to untouchable as you get.

If, after this draft they land a player that overshadows Booker, then maybe down the road he won't be the only guy here, but not right now. The list is probably like three or four players long. KAT, AD, not sure who else.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
It's really fascinating. The fear of his going somewhere else and becoming Kobe 2 probably prevents any trade. Once you get a young superstar you just cannot trade him away. He is hugely popular here. He is about as close to untouchable as you get.

If, after this draft they land a player that overshadows Booker, then maybe down the road he won't be the only guy here, but not right now. The list is probably like three or four players long. KAT, AD, not sure who else.

I don't think he will be Kobe 2 because he lacks athleticism Kobe had, and will likely never be a great defender, but I completely agree with the rest of the post. There is no way I'd trade Booker at this point.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think he will be Kobe 2 because he lacks athleticism Kobe had, and will likely never be a great defender, but I completely agree with the rest of the post. There is no way I'd trade Booker at this point.
I agree about his athleticism. Even a player like Gree Freak isn't likely a candidate. He is the better player, but Booker is here, entrenched in the community, really likable and has lots of potential.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep Booker under any foreseeable circumstance. Steve Nash proved you do not need to be an athletic freak to be great. Although Booker will likely remain at SG, he has shown he could play PG if the Suns were inclined to go this direction. This only ups his value. It's hard to believe he is still only 20 years old.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
I'd trade Booker for Westbrook, Harden, James, or Durant...but that's about it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Something to think about, I wouldn't want to see Booker eat us alive years after these guys retire. Booker is so young.

I think he will be in the same category of these players except Lebron.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It may sound crazy, but I wouldn't trade Booker for any one of those guys. They are all at a much later stage in their careers and for the most part will only decline over the next few years. Booker is 20 years old and will likely only get better during that same time span.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It may sound crazy, but I wouldn't trade Booker for any one of those guys. They are all at a much later stage in their careers and for the most part will only decline over the next few years. Booker is 20 years old and will likely only get better during that same time span.

I agree. It would be hard to build around those guys quickly enough because of their age. KAT, AD, maybe Greek Freak, thats about it. I would not trade him for Embiid because of the injury issue. Now, I know that a week after a 70 point game has us all about as high as possible on him. Players do peak at different times. If he is exactly the same player two years, from now, well. It might be a different story.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade him because it's too much of an unknown. It's better to not trade him and then him end up not be as good a player who was offered for him rather than trading him and him being the better than the player we got for him.

That said, probably only 6 players in the league that I would trade for him....Giannis, Durant, Steph, Harden, Westbrook and KAT. Only reason I would trade him for any of those guys is because their more skilled all around and they aren't too old like say, LeBron for example nor do they significant injury issues like say Anthont Davis.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Those guys would leave Phoenix at their first opportunity. Booker will be under team control for 7-8 years at least.

Only players I'd consider trading him for are Giannis, Towns and Jokic. Maybe I'm missing someone.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I wouldn't trade him because it's too much of an unknown. It's better to not trade him and then him end up not be as good a player who was offered for him rather than trading him and him being the better than the player we got for him.

That said, probably only 6 players in the league that I would trade for him....Giannis, Durant, Steph, Harden, Westbrook and KAT. Only reason I would trade him for any of those guys is because their more skilled all around and they aren't too old like say, LeBron for example nor do they significant injury issues like say Anthont Davis.
I just don't understand the guys that are 27+ years old. Another way to think of it, Booker won't be the age that those guys currently are for another 7-8 years. You would essentially be trading 5 good years of one of those guys for potentially 13+ good years of Booker. This is assuming they even stay for that long.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Those guys would leave Phoenix at their first opportunity. Booker will be under team control for 7-8 years at least.

Only players I'd consider trading him for are Giannis, Towns and Jokic. Maybe I'm missing someone.
I agree with this. Though I would even hesitate for just about any of those guys as well. Booker just has that clutch gene that not many players have. Though those other guys are better all around players.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just don't understand the guys that are 27+ years old. Another way to think of it, Booker won't be the age of those guys currently are for another 7-8 years. You would essentially be trading 5 good years of one of those guys for potentially 13+ good years of Booker.
It's about projection too though which is hard to since he's 20 years old. I'm projecting him to not be as good an all around player as those guys are but again, it's merely a guess and he's 20 years so he can be better pretty soon.

Defense wise, I don't think he will ever be as good as Klay Thompson who is often his comparison. Thompson has a far greater wingspan than Booker even though they may be similar in just athleticsm.

I'll add Kawhi Leonard to that list actually. I would probably rather get Kawhi than Westbrook.

This is just a fun hypothetical thread, as I said in the first sentence of the post, I wouldn't actually trade him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
It's about projection too though which is hard to since he's 20 years old. I'm projecting him to not be as good an all around player as those guys are but again, it's merely a guess and he's 20 years so he can be better pretty soon.

Defense wise, I don't think he will ever be as good as Klay Thompson who is often his comparison. Thompson has a far greater wingspan than Booker even though they may be similar in just athleticsm.

I'll add Kawhi Leonard to that list actually. I would probably rather get Kawhi than Westbrook.

This is just a fun hypothetical thread, as I said in the first sentence of the post, I wouldn't actually trade him.
Booker had a bigger wingspan than Klay at the combine by .3". He had 1" less standing reach though. However, I believe he actually has grown about an inch since joining the NBA as well.

Even if he doesn't end up as good as those guys though we are still comparing 8+ years of Booker to maybe 4-5 years of those other guys (if they stay for a contract extension).

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Also I get that it is all hypothetical, but I will always take advantage of an opportunity to talk Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure why the Suns would want to trade Booker for Klay Thompson when Booker looks to be as good or better than Klay Thompson next season. However, as I said earlier, Booker could play PG if the Suns wanted to steer him this direction which gives him a clear boost going forward.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the Suns would want to trade Booker for Klay Thompson when Booker looks to be as good or better than Klay Thompson next season. However, as I said earlier, Booker could play PG if the Suns wanted to steer him this direction which gives him a clear boost going forward.
Klay Thompson wasn't one of the players I listed that I would trade Booker for. I was merely making the comparison because last year many were comparing Booker to Thompson and this year I've seen many people hoping that Booker can be as good as Thompson on defense. Booker will soon be better than Klay offensively.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Klay Thompson wasn't one of the players I listed that I would trade Booker for. I was merely making the comparison because last year many were comparing Booker to Thompson and this year I've seen many people hoping that Booker can be as good as Thompson on defense. Booker will soon be better than Klay offensively.

I guess I was mistaken. Who is KAT then? The Suns do not know what Booker's ceiling is yet.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Towns is about the only player for whom I would consider trading Booker. Better yet, trade anything but Booker for him. I can dream, right?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towns is about the only player for whom I would consider trading Booker. Better yet, trade anything but Booker for him. I can dream, right?

This is the only one that gets consideration but we know this is not going to happen, at least for the foreseeable future.

Dreaming is free. :)

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not the next Kobe but maybe Ray Allen.

Man it's hard to forget he's only 20

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Towns and Jokic are the only 2 guys I'm certain I'd move him for (and I'd take Jokic over Towns). There are a number of others I'd have to think about, like LeBron can carry any team through 2 or 3 rounds, but is a couple years of contending with LeBron worth Booker's entire career? Really hard to say.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson