Who Wants a Fresh Approach With a New HC and 3 New QBs?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I think we have to be all in on drafting a QB in the first round. This is supposed to be a very good year for quarterbacks so its time to get it done. If we have to trade our entire draft to get the guy we want then so be it. I don't want to see anymore free agent QB's unless they are a backup. We need two guards and two wide receivers as well. Any GM on the planet should be able to get this done.

I would also like to see us bring back AP next year to team with David Johnson. As much as I would like to add a couple pieces to the defense I would rather fix the offense first. At least we signed Corey Peters for a few more years and both Reddick and Budda Baker should be solid next year. It would be great to add a CB and a defensive lineman that were solid but unless we let Palmer go we will run out of money just signing guards and WR's. It would be ideal to have Palmer mentor our top pick for his first year, but we may not have that option.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't say bring back the same team. In fact, I commented that changes need to be made.

I said bring back Arians and Keim because I have serious reservations the alternative will be better.

The only issue with Arians is his age/health and if he wants to continue. If he does, let him.

you're right. His inability to make adjustments to his staff aren't an issue at all.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think we have to be all in on drafting a QB in the first round. This is supposed to be a very good year for quarterbacks so its time to get it done. If we have to trade our entire draft to get the guy we want then so be it. I don't want to see anymore free agent QB's unless they are a backup. We need two guards and two wide receivers as well. Any GM on the planet should be able to get this done.

Gotta have someone to trade with. All of the teams in the top 3 need QBs just as badly as we do.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No.

Lack of continuity carries with it considerable cost.

Of course, there may come a point where the coaching staff and front office are flat out done. We're not there yet. Unless you have a secret way to bring Vince Lombardi and Bill Walsh back from the dead, I'd stick with what we've got

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm in Mitch. That is my wish. Not sure about how good the successor would be, Michael Bidwill notwithstanding this is still the Cardinals.

BA has not lost the ability to coach I don't think but his insane loyalty to inept assistants has a lot to do with the ship sinking IMO. Even with the injuries this team has not been cohesive on offense and, at times, defense. The Not So Special Teams continue to be an embarrassment and, contrary to BA's and Keim's assertions, not entirely the players or "execution". Absent Lee and, lately Dawson, the Not So Special Teams still plague the team as a whole and cause havoc and losses.

Entirely new QB room and complete change of coaching staff is needed. BA gave us some thrills but, as BB King sang..."The thrill is gone...".

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
2018 will be more of the same. BA, Palmer and Fitz will all be back. We only have 20M in cap space. Hardly enough to fill all the holes,

2019 will be our rebuild year.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
My worst fear is Arians staying, and convincing Keim to go after Allen in the 1st...seeing as how that's his prototypical QB prospect...and then once Allen inevitably fails...Arians will bolt for retirement.

To take it a step further...when BA retires in 2019, Harold Goodwin is named his successor.

I'm with you on Allen. We cannot endure another possibly inaccurate QB. Take the most accurate QB on the board, one who has competed against top level competition.

Reactions: TRW

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
one name to consider for HC:

Todd Haley, OC Pittsburgh

still has a tight relationship with Keim and Mike B.

HC experience with KC.

Runs a very productive offense (albeit with excellent personnel) -- but an offense that has shown it can incorporate young players productively.

a product of the Parcells school, but with AZ ties

Yes, yes, and yes. I absolutely love how Haley's offense has evolved since he has been in Pittsburgh and he has one of the most important pieces to implement it here already on the roster.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
That wasn't the only time Haley was involved in stuff like that he wears out his welcome pretty often. He's a good OC that needs to know his role he's not a HC
So, he was "involved" trying to call the game winning drive? Really?

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
I've been campaigning for this since the end of last season.

And I'll add unless Belichick for some insane reason decides he wants to jump ship, no AARP eligible candidates either please.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2018 will be more of the same. BA, Palmer and Fitz will all be back. We only have 20M in cap space. Hardly enough to fill all the holes,

2019 will be our rebuild year.

Having hardly enough to fill all the holes is why you start the rebuild in 2018. Reality is we can’t fill enough holes to make us a contender, we’ll be another year collectively older and probably just as bad if not worse. Running out the string on BA is literally pointless except to delay rebuilding.

If Keim is dumb enough to give this team one last meh-rrah, he’s too dumb to be our GM moving forward. This team’s “run” is DONE. Waxing nostalgic about a team that won 1 division title and 1 playoff game in five years is insane.

It was a nice run. It’s over. Move on.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
you're right. His inability to make adjustments to his staff aren't an issue at all.
I get it. It's easy to sit back and say he should do this and should have done that. I do it also. Every coach has flaws but Arians is a fantastic coach. But the fire the coach mentality at the first signs of trouble is not the way to go. Amos Jones was/is a mistake. But this same staff took them to the NFC championship 2 years ago. I can see BA and Keim having a little leeway. I've said if BA refuses to make staff changes this year then he should go.

I actually think this year is one of his best coaching jobs. To win 6, possibly 7-8, games with this injury depleted roster is a great coaching job. I know you don't like the injury excuse but it's a fact. How has Seattle's vaunted defense looked after their best players went down? How did Dallas's offense do without their RB and LT? Has GB struggled since Rodgers went out? Are people calling for McCarthy's or Carroll's jobs?

People see McVay in LA and think he's the second coming of Paul Brown. That's great, but the Giants recently fired coach had them at 11-5 his first year, in the playoffs, and didn't make it through his 2nd. One of the reasons is he lost his entire WR corp. Let's see how McVay does if Goff, Gurley, and Aaron Donald get put on IR next year.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not me, I love BA as a coach; and I think the coaching staff and roster need adjustments, but I am in no hurry to see freshness - that time will come soon enough.

We talk about having prolonged success like NE, Pittsburgh or Green Bay - that means working on the long term organizational plan, something that never existed before MB and Keim, I'll take these subpar seasons if we can become stable long term as a result of them learning their way.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Todd was trying to call plays for the drive to the SB, Boldin was "what about me?"

Ok I get you now but what your missing is that wasn't his only sideline mix up Haley wore out his welcome here in AZ and in KC very fast now maybe he's learned from his past failures and I hope he has but his ego was way out of control here and in KC

Like I said I think he's a good OC who needs a strong HC to keep him in his place

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Haley wore out his welcome here in AZ and in KC very fast

he didnt wear out his welcome here -- KC hired him away as HC

KC is an interesting case. Their GM was a disaster

"The team ultimately fired Haley last December after an ugly, heavily publicized rift developed between him and Pioli."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8550269/flaws-chiefs-gm-scott-pioli-exposed

Todd Haley took over a 2-14 team, and two years later they won the AFC West at 10-6 (with Matt Cassel as QB!) -- he was fired by Pioli halfway through the next season

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ok I get you now but what your missing is that wasn't his only sideline mix up Haley wore out his welcome here in AZ and in KC very fast now maybe he's learned from his past failures and I hope he has but his ego was way out of control here and in KC

Like I said I think he's a good OC who needs a strong HC to keep him in his place

This is nonsense. Pioli built a toxic environment in KC, and the reason he left here was because he was offered a head coaching gig. He's been the OC in Pittsburgh for the last 6 years.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Keep an eye on Indy. I don't see them taking a QB this draft.

I don't think Luck is coming back to play in the NFL. So if there's a pretty surefire guy there... bam.

I mean, they'll have a pretty good idea by the time the draft rolls around - plus a new coach.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is nonsense. Pioli built a toxic environment in KC, and the reason he left here was because he was offered a head coaching gig. He's been the OC in Pittsburgh for the last 6 years.

Agree that Pioli is a koo-koo and up there.

Hiring last 2 Steelers offensive coordinators worked very well, i say, continue the tradition. All in for Todd!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson