Who Wants a Fresh Approach With a New HC and 3 New QBs?

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Who here wants a fresh new approach with a new HC and 3 new QBs (1 veteran of the HC's choice and 2 draft picks)? I do.

BA's regime has run its course. It was an exciting 3 year ride, but a disappointing 2 year slide. Carson Palmer was a warrior, but another year of being a sitting duck in the pocket is most likely not in his best interests. Drew Stanton did his job as the #2 and was paid handsomely for 5 years as a backup. Blaine Gabbert had a golden opportunity to prove his naysayers wrong, and while he flashed early, he went back to showing why fans in JAX and SF were so eager to see him play somewhere else.

In my opinion, if Steve Keim elects to stick with BA another year and it's more of the same error-filled, uninspired football, then Keim should not be retained as GM. Both SK's and BA's contracts expire at the end of next year (although both have team option clauses in 2019).

If Keim elects to move on from BA and his staff, then he deserves a two year window to see how compatible he is with his new choice for HC. What is unclear, at least from this fan's perspective, is whether the lack of development of Keim's draft picks are more on the coaching or more on the scouting. It's quite possible (and even likely) that BA and his staff are very difficult to draft for.

They do not want to play rookies to begin with---every 1st round draft pick over their 5 years was asked to play a position the player did not play in college (which made their transitions to the NFL all the more daunting and painstaking), and the coaches are adamantly old school, which is an approach that many of today's athletes are uneasy and unfamiliar with.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sign me up. BA won't coach more than another year or so anyway. I want them to draft a QB. We don't have one more shot at anything.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do.

Only if the HC is John Morton, Steve Wilks, or Pat Shurmur.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
one name to consider for HC:

Todd Haley, OC Pittsburgh

still has a tight relationship with Keim and Mike B.

HC experience with KC.

Runs a very productive offense (albeit with excellent personnel) -- but an offense that has shown it can incorporate young players productively.

a product of the Parcells school, but with AZ ties

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

HC experience with KC.

Runs a very productive offense (albeit with excellent personnel) -- but an offense that has shown it can incorporate young players productively.

I'd actually be on board with this.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Todd Haley oh heck no and didn't it end very bad here with him. Wasn't it Boldin that got into him

However I am driving the Baker Mayfield bandwagon get on guys there's still room!!!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't see uninspired football. In fact, I think the team has played hard and likes playing for Arians(have never heard anything remotely different). You're confusing lack of ability with lack of desire. They have the most players placed on IR in the league and most are at key positions. There's not 1 coach in the league who would have a successful team with this injury depleted roster.

The only reason to get rid of BA is to avoid a lame duck status for next year or he wants to retire.

A new coach? Mitch, I remember you singing the praises of Chip Kelly and how he was going to revolutionize the NFL. I'm just saying that because be careful what you ask for.

Keim and Arians have overseen the most successful run in Cards history and after 2 mediocre season you're ready to clean house. Granted, some changes need to be made but to kick everyone to the curb is a recipe for a long dry spell when it comes to the win column. Just look at all the changes the Browns make constantly. Look at the joke the Raiders became under Al Davis when he was senile and changing coaches as often as his underwear. Change can be good. It's usually not when you go from a successful regime to the unknown.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

HC experience with KC.

This.

On lighter side, will he bring Ken Whisenhunt as OC?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Todd Haley oh heck no and didn't it end very bad here with him. Wasn't it Boldin that got into him

However I am driving the Baker Mayfield bandwagon get on guys there's still room!!!
Yep. Boldin yelling at his coach because he wasn't in the package called. Meanwhile Todd is trying to call plays to go to the Super Bowl.

iRobot

Veteran
Reaction score
Reality is, they need a new ST coach.. maybe, MAYBE a new DC.. but its all IR.

WR1 (Fitz is a slot guy now, and wont be here long).
WR2 .. who emerges as a true #2?
TE2 (Gresham is locked in via contract, RSJ shows promise, need a body though)
LT (Not sold on Humphries)
LG (Iupati cut or retires)
C (Shipley is ok but lets get future)
RG (Oh man, it keeps coming...)
RT (Wetzel might be able to lock this down??)
QB (Need QBoTF)

Ick.. maybe I'm exaggerating?

DT (Always need DL bodies)
CB2 (Tramon played well but we need a young guy who can be CB2 and stepup to CB1 in a few years when PP is early 30s)
ILB (Depth)
OLB (Depth)

Am I missing anything?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes please get a new q b in fa or draft a young q b and if Palmer comes back one more yr let the rookie learn first. And please upgrade 2nd corner and o line

Man cards have a bunch of work to do this off-season

And please no Stanton next yr...

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see uninspired football. In fact, I think the team has played hard and likes playing for Arians(have never heard anything remotely different). You're confusing lack of ability with lack of desire. They have the most players placed on IR in the league and most are at key positions. There's not 1 coach in the league who would have a successful team with this injury depleted roster.

The only reason to get rid of BA is to avoid a lame duck status for next year or he wants to retire.

A new coach? Mitch, I remember you singing the praises of Chip Kelly and how he was going to revolutionize the NFL. I'm just saying that because be careful what you ask for.

Keim and Arians have overseen the most successful run in Cards history and after 2 mediocre season you're ready to clean house. Granted, some changes need to be made but to kick everyone to the curb is a recipe for a long dry spell when it comes to the win column. Just look at all the changes the Browns make constantly. Look at the joke the Raiders became under Al Davis when he was senile and changing coaches as often as his underwear. Change can be good. It's usually not when you go from a successful regime to the unknown.

Success is relative. In five years we’ve gone to the playoffs three times, missed twice and won ONE playoff game... in 5 years. That’s success for the Cardinals but we have to stop thinking in terms of being one of the doormats of the league if we ever want to be anything else.

And not buying your comparison to Davis making crazy random change. We’ve watched this staff regime for 5 years and it’s clearly in decline no matter how much you protest they’re still contenders.

They’re old... Arians doesn’t adapt and doesn’t seem like he wants to coach much longer. Like Keim says about players... better to cut ties a year early than too late.

Keeping this aging, mediocre team together for run more pathetic run is the very definition of insanity. We’ve seen where that’s gotten us the last two years.

Watching another year of this... while continuing to put off desperately needed rebuilding will be less fun than masturbating with a cheese grater.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep. Boldin yelling at his coach because he wasn't in the package called. Meanwhile Todd is trying to call plays to go to the Super Bowl.

That wasn't the only time Haley was involved in stuff like that he wears out his welcome pretty often. He's a good OC that needs to know his role he's not a HC

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I guess I am the only one hear who doesnt like Todd Haley. didnt like him when he was here and dont like him any more now that he is gone.
Boldin wasnt the only player to get in shouting matches with haley,...I remember warner and haley going at it a few times...because warner didnt run the play that was called....everyone else was celebrating the TD and Haley was screaming and turning red..
I would take a hard pass on haley...hell, as much as I would hate to do it,...I would take marvin lewis over haley

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Success is relative. In five years we’ve gone to the playoffs three times, missed twice and won ONE playoff game... in 5 years. That’s success for the Cardinals but we have to stop thinking in terms of being one of the doormats of the league if we ever want to be anything else.

And not buying your comparison to Davis making crazy random change. We’ve watched this staff regime for 5 years and it’s clearly in decline no matter how much you protest they’re still contenders.

They’re old... Arians doesn’t adapt and doesn’t seem like he wants to coach much longer. Like Keim says about players... better to cut ties a year early than too late.

Keeping this aging, mediocre team together for run more pathetic run is the very definition of insanity. We’ve seen where that’s gotten us the last two years.

Watching another year of this... while continuing to put off desperately needed rebuilding will be less fun than masturbating with a cheese grater.
I didn't say bring back the same team. In fact, I commented that changes need to be made.

I said bring back Arians and Keim because I have serious reservations the alternative will be better.

The only issue with Arians is his age/health and if he wants to continue. If he does, let him.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I don't want a lame duck in Arians especially if next year is his last year. There are too many needs on this team that should not be filled with Arians material if his stay is just one more year. If Keim really believes in cutting ties a year early instead of a year late then he needs to apply he same logic to the coaching staff. I would rather see the team start with a clean slate than some bastardized makeup between old and new. It would put the new coach in arrears before he even starts and would delay the inevitable even longer.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d bring Haley in if he’s bringing Antonio Brown & Le’Veon Bell with him.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
My worst fear is Arians staying, and convincing Keim to go after Allen in the 1st...seeing as how that's his prototypical QB prospect...and then once Allen inevitably fails...Arians will bolt for retirement.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

i agree with this generally, but would add: BA would need to commit to seeing BASK 2.0 through -- which will be more than a year. I dont see an offensive mind on staff that takes the reins if BA stays for only one more year. Cant bring in a young QB, and then change systems (perhaps) on him after his first season.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

HC experience with KC.

I wouldn’t be surprised with that at all. Didn’t he and Fitz start out rocky at first but develop a solid working relationship?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When did BA forget how to coach I don't care who it is your not going to be successful with a 3rd string QB a 3rd string RB your entire offensive line out injured

this team looked listless and letheragic before Palmer even went out.

And people need to stop calling Kerwynn a 3rd string RB. He was 2nd string coming out of pre-season, was again when they got AP. And has played all season long save the second half of the last game.