Who should Suns target at power forward?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Does he got a brother? That seems more up the Suns alley.

2. BC867

BC867 Long time Phoenician! Contributor

BUMP

I'll put it in this thread because it involves a Suns power forward.

And it did mention the Suns . . . at the end.

Charles Barkley got the word from his agent that he was being traded from the
    Sixers to the Lakers. So he started drinking. Again from his agent later in the
    day. And he kept drinking to celebrate.

When he got the word from his agent that the Sixers pulled out of the deal, the
    Chuckster had to play that night for the Sixers -- roaring drunk. That was 1992.

The following summer he was traded to the Suns and won the MVP the next season.

Oh, the Chuckster! :rolleyes:

https://sports.yahoo.com/charles-barkley-says-played-game-230035987.html

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Mainstreet likes this.
  3. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

Some of those rumored Michael Jordon stories may not be that far off base.

4. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

My favorite Chuck story...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/homeof...ate-mcdonalds-while-yelling-at-teammates/amp/

Mainstreet likes this.
  5. Mainstreet

6. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

Really? That's gross. Yelling with your mouth full???

7. Mainstreet

I'd need some larger pancakes to do it proper but I could never top Charles at yelling.

AzStevenCal likes this.
  8. Finito

Finito Registered

9. Sun Devil Mania

Sun Devil Mania Registered

This thread got derailed. I would love to see the Suns move into a position to draft Toppin. What free agent power forward could be a good fit for the Suns?

10. Mainstreet

Everyone according to their taste but I like Jerami Grant in free agency.

11. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Christian Wood is high on my wish list, provided the price is right. I'd like to see the Suns add both Wood and Jordan Clarkson, which is possible depending on where the salary cap falls. It looked more like something they could do prior to this pandemic causing financial issues but we'll see if a smaller salary cap causes GM's and owners to be a little smarter in the deals they offer going forward or if they'll spend recklessly, as usual.

Wood had a breakout season in Detroit and played even better once they got Drummond out of there. I think he'll get the mid-level exception from somewhere and if the Suns are serious about bringing him in then they might be able to offer a little extra cash to that, beating out the competition. He can play PF or C, can guard the paint and rebound, and has a decent offensive game. He shot 38.6% from 3 last season while averaging 1 make and 2.7 attempts a game so he can space the floor. I think with he an Ayton you'll be able to rotate one of them inside and keep the other outside so the paint doesn't get clogged on offense. Defensively it would give us a lot of size also, with Wood being 6'10" and quite long. I don't have wingspan in front of me but watching him, you can tell he's got length.

12. 1Sun

1Sun Registered

And yet he wasn't even good enough to get a training camp invite when he was on the Suns' Summer League roster. Buyer beware.

13. Mainstreet

The Pistons reportedly have $30 million in cap space. A lot will depend on how much they want to spend to keep Wood.

Clarkson would be interesting. I don't think the Jazz will be able to keep him.

14. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Who knows what the Pistons are doing. I was a little surprised they dumped Drummond for nothing, essentially, and they were also shopping guys like Kennard, who have showed some promise but are still on their rookie contracts. Those moves seem to be pointing in different directions. They could be tanking, which wouldn't surprise me, but that still seems a little odd that they wouldn't try to get more draft picks from the Drummond deal and they didn't aim to dump some other guys like Rose, who could have brought back a 1st from someone.

They have a lot of money tied up in Blake Griffin going forward and I can't see them getting out from that unless they take back a bad contract in return. Will they want to pay Woods big money while paying Blake for 2/3 of a season also? I don't know. Woods is best at PF but can play C. He got better when Drummond was dealt but that's mainly because Drummond was planted in the paint and killed their spacing.

Money is key when it comes to Woods. You don't want to overpay but you also can't afford to lowball him and get him to sign elsewhere either.

With Clarkson, I think he'd be a solid backup combo guard for Rubio and Booker and could play with them when the Suns go small also. He's not particularly small himself, listed at 6'4" now that the league has called for more accurate measurements but was listed as 6'5" & 6'6" previously. He has played both guard spots for the Lakers, Cavs, and now the Jazz. He's not someone you want as your starting PG but as your backup, you're good.

15. Mainstreet

I'm guessing the Pistons didn't want to pay Drummond what he wanted when he hit free agency. I understand he was going to decline his player option for $28,751,774 this summer. This likely lowered his trade value.

We agree, Clarkson would be a nice rotation guard with Booker and Rubio.