Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If he were on a decent contract I'd think much higher of him. He does the little things that make a team better but you're right, he's not special and he's probably never going to be more than a quality backup.

And his shot selection is atrocious and disrupts the rest of our offense.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We will not be able to dump Tyler. We would have to give up way too much to move that contract, and they are not going to stretch him.

I am not saying he is the answer completely, but we need to make sure that any pg we pursue is better than he is--by a significant margin, or we are just wasting assets on a sideways move.

Any real point guard, period, is better than Tyler Johnson at the point - by a significant margin.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hunter's low steal- and block-rate are quite red-flaggish, indeed. Eye-test and advanced metrics both show that he is a great defender. It is even more weird that after getting much more playing time this year, yet his steals stagnated while his blocks even decreased.

One possible explanation might be that as Virginia's best defender and defensive stopper, he always needed to play on-ball defense without the possibility of helping out others and getting addtional blocks and steals.

Other than that he would be a very good fit in Phoenix, he reminds me of Draymond Green.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Starting to think we just take a flyer on Tacko Fall! LOL!

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Guess I'm in the minority but I really like Hachimura. Voted him and Garland but would prefer trading it if it can be packaged for an impact player.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hunter's low steal- and block-rate are quite red-flaggish, indeed. Eye-test and advanced metrics both show that he is a great defender. It is even more weird that after getting much more playing time this year, yet his steals stagnated while his blocks even decreased.

One possible explanation might be that as Virginia's best defender and defensive stopper, he always needed to play on-ball defense without the possibility of helping out others and getting addtional blocks and steals.

Other than that he would be a very good fit in Phoenix, he reminds me of Draymond Green.
He’s not the athlete that is draymond.

But I read somewhere that while his steal and block rate would traditionally be viewed as red flags it might’ve been the result of the unique defensive design UVA runs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Guess I'm in the minority but I really like Hachimura. Voted him and Garland but would prefer trading it if it can be packaged for an impact player.
I liked Hachimura coming into the season but he didn’t really progress as I expected. I think he’s pretty good but doesn’t exhibit the preternatural instincts for the game that top players do.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I liked Hachimura coming into the season but he didn’t really progress as I expected. I think he’s pretty good but doesn’t exhibit the preternatural instincts for the game that top players do.

Specific skills may not have developed as much as one would hope but his year over year production has been impressive. My biggest concern is the lack of disruptive defensive stats, but he seems to be in decent position when I watch him and his frame looks like he'll be able to add a lot of strength. I just really like how smart he plays and his versatility, maybe having that new player development guy from Gonzaga on the staff will give better insight into how high his ceiling is, but it feels like he has a lot of room to grow.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He’s not the athlete that is draymond.

Yes, Green was more athletic and also skilled after spending four years in college while Hunter will be drafted only after his sophomore season.

Hunter is more of a defender than Green was, but his versatility, body-type and team-first mentality remind me of Draymond.

But I read somewhere that while his steal and block rate would traditionally be viewed as red flags it might’ve been the result of the unique defensive design UVA runs.

That's encouraging especially if the Suns draft him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Starting to think we just take a flyer on Tacko Fall! LOL!
His UCF team almost beat Duke. Missed layup at the end by one of Tacko's teammates was the difference.

Tacko will have a long NBA career if he does not have injury issues. He is a presence on the court.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But he's BIG! LOL. You can teach skills. You can't teach big. ;)

Fall is listed at 7' 7" in shoes, an 8' 2¼" wingspan and a 10' 2½" standing reach.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ok, after doing some research, I like Culver if Garland is gone.

Statistically he actually had a better season that RJ Barrett - and he is also better defensively.

Player PER TS% REB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% WS WS/40 BPM
Jarrett Culver 25.1 54.2 11.8 26.1 2.7 2.2 13.7 32.2 6.8 .222 11.2
RJ Barrett 23.3 53.2 11.2 23.5 1.4 1.2 13.2 32.2 6.5 .194 7.7

Really you watch him and he does everything well except shoot. His shot is not terrible either - with some work I think he will be good enough because his form is not terrible.

The Stepian actually has him ranked 2nd.

So there is now 5 players I would be fine with the Suns drafting - unfortunately we have the 6th pick so you know how that is likely to turn out.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ok, after doing some research, I like Culver if Garland is gone.

Statistically he actually had a better season that RJ Barrett - and he is also better defensively.

Player PER TS% REB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% WS WS/40 BPM
Jarrett Culver 25.1 54.2 11.8 26.1 2.7 2.2 13.7 32.2 6.8 .222 11.2
RJ Barrett 23.3 53.2 11.2 23.5 1.4 1.2 13.2 32.2 6.5 .194 7.7

Really you watch him and he does everything well except shoot. His shot is not terrible either - with some work I think he will be good enough because his form is not terrible.

The Stepian actually has him ranked 2nd.

So there is now 5 players I would be fine with the Suns drafting - unfortunately we have the 6th pick so you know how that is likely to turn out.

A shooting guard who can't shoot. No, thanks.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Couldn't teach skills to Alex Len...
He has improved. Maybe not a HOF or All Star player, but he is getting better. So yes, evidently you can teach skills. More than you can teach his size.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Zion may not fall to us? Well that sucks. Seriously though, I'd rather have 2 than 3, rather have 3 than 4, rather have 4 than 5, rather have 5 than 6 and so on but with no chance of Williamson nothing about this draft really matters all that much to me.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A shooting guard who can't shoot. No, thanks.

He is more of a small forward.

Actually I can see him playing a Draymond Green type role, even though he is a little smaller than Green.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Zion may not fall to us? Well that sucks. Seriously though, I'd rather have 2 than 3, rather have 3 than 4, rather have 4 than 5, rather have 5 than 6 and so on but with no chance of Williamson nothing about this draft really matters all that much to me.
I would have been happy with JA. Obviously you want Zion. Now to me everyone is kind of on a similar level. That's why the talk of trading up or down, I really don't see why a GM would want to do that. You just pick where you are and get a similar rated guy essentially. This draft you draft more for need than BAP because after the first three picks, everyone is rated roughly similar.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He is more of a small forward.

Actually I can see him playing a Draymond Green type role, even though is a little smaller than Green.

Culver is 6'5", 195 pounds, which is tiny for a small forward. Booker is bigger at 6'6", 210 pounds. Heck, Troy Daniels, while an inch shorter at 6'4", outweighs Culver at 200 pounds. Tyler Johnson is 6'4" 190 pounds. I see Culver as a slightly bigger, worse shooting version of Tyler Johnson.

Green is 6'7", 230 pounds. Unless Culver grows 2 inches, gains 35 pounds of muscle, learns to shoot the three and suddenly learns how to pass, there is zero chance of Culver playing a Draymond Green type role. Best case scenario for Culver is Tony Allen, and we already have Booker, Bridges, Jackson (who is a taller, bigger, stronger, more talented version of Culver) and even Tyler Johnson to play the 2, while we hopefully have Oubre, Bridges and Jackson to play the 3.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well that is silly.

There is almost always someone after the first 2 or 3 picks that becomes an all star, and there are always several players who have long productive careers.

The trick is just figuring out who it is.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Culver is 6'5", 195 pounds, which is tiny for a small forward.

Green is 6'7", 230 pounds.

Culver's combine measurements were 6'6 3/4, 194 pounds - his reach was 6'9 1/2

Green was 6'7 1/2 235 with a 7'2 wingspan

So yes he is smaller - but not a lot smaller but he would need to put on some weight.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Culver's combine measurements were 6'6 3/4, 194 pounds - his reach was 6'9 1/2

Green was 6'7 1/2 235 with a 7'2 wingspan

So yes he is smaller - but not a lot smaller but he would need to put on some weight.

30 pounds, and it would need to be all muscle, and Culver would have to learn to shoot and suddenly inherit Green's uncanny passing ability. Plus the 4 1/2 inches in wingspan are huge in terms of defense and rebounding for an otherwise short power forward.

I will give you one thing...Culver is a power forward or center in a shooting guard's body.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson