• Rui Hachimura

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? As bad as we need a pg...trade out?

Yes, I agree with Mainstreet. There is a small chance that the top 3 PG's are all off the board in Ja, Garland, and White. It's unlikely that happens but what are we supposed to do then? If there is only 1 of those 3 left and that 1 has been graded poorly by our scouts and decision makers are we supposed to take them simply because we need a PG? I don't think so. We're not in a good spot right now and until we work out White and Garland we don't know what route should be taken. If we can address our PG needs through a trade then we should explore that possibility so we're not left with whoever falls to us and we have some say in who gets added to fill that role.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with Mainstreet. There is a small chance that the top 3 PG's are all off the board in Ja, Garland, and White. It's unlikely that happens but what are we supposed to do then? If there is only 1 of those 3 left and that 1 has been graded poorly by our scouts and decision makers are we supposed to take them simply because we need a PG? I don't think so. We're not in a good spot right now and until we work out White and Garland we don't know what route should be taken. If we can address our PG needs through a trade then we should explore that possibility so we're not left with whoever falls to us and we have some say in who gets added to fill that role.
As has been posted, we need to accomplish it by trade (for an experienced Point Guard) anyway. Not an All Star.

Just a solid Point Guard with NBA experience to quarterback the Suns. For the good of the rest of the team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As has been posted, we need to accomplish it by trade (for an experienced Point Guard) anyway. Not an All Star.

Just a solid Point Guard with NBA experience to quarterback the Suns. For the good of the rest of the team.

I disagree that we have to address the PG position by trade. Free agency is just as likely an option. There are a number of veteran PG's that are free agents this summer and that may prove the best route to address the need for a PG. We can't be limited to only one avenue to fill that hole, we need to explore all avenues as far as by trade, free agency, and the draft. I don't think we'll solve that through the draft now that we won't have a chance at drafting Ja.

Realistically we could add 2 PG's this offseason and it shouldn't create a logjam so I have no issue with adding 1 PG by trade and 1 from the draft or 1 through free agency and 1 through the draft. It doesn't matter how we add some quality playmakers so much as we add quality playmakers.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I disagree that we have to address the PG position by trade. Free agency is just as likely an option. There are a number of veteran PG's that are free agents this summer and that may prove the best route to address the need for a PG. We can't be limited to only one avenue to fill that hole, we need to explore all avenues as far as by trade, free agency, and the draft. I don't think we'll solve that through the draft now that we won't have a chance at drafting Ja.

Realistically we could add 2 PG's this offseason and it shouldn't create a logjam so I have no issue with adding 1 PG by trade and 1 from the draft or 1 through free agency and 1 through the draft. It doesn't matter how we add some quality playmakers so much as we add quality playmakers.
Yes, I meant to say trade or free agency. You're absolutely right!

Anything to assure that Booker can return to Shooting Guard. And that an NBA experienced Point Guard would be running the offense for him and Ayton. That addition would positively affect three key positions.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yes, I meant to say trade or free agency. You're absolutely right!

Anything to assure that Booker can return to Shooting Guard. And that an NBA experienced Point Guard would be running the offense for him and Ayton. That addition would positively affect three key positions.

I just dont get this thought.

We don't need to add a PG to "run" the offense.

Devin Booker this year averaged more assists than Mike Conley EVER did.

We need a PG to help with things that Devin Booker struggles with and that is mainly ball pressure. So adding a PG that can shoot and thus always draws a defender and a PG that has a great handle to help mainly in bringing the ball up the floor is way more important than anything else imo.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We need a PG to help with things that Devin Booker struggles with and that is mainly ball pressure. So adding a PG that can shoot and thus always draws a defender and a PG that has a great handle to help mainly in bringing the ball up the floor is way more important than anything else imo.

Agreed. We've seen it work with Bledsoe/Dragic, Dame/McC, Curry/Thompson, etc

itlnsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Yes.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Those advocating for more Point Book must not have been paying attention when Booker was a turnover machine and wore down to the point of his shooting and defense falling apart, opposing pressure or not.

Playing the point is more than just racking up assists.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Agreed. We've seen it work with Bledsoe/Dragic, Dame/McC, Curry/Thompson, etc

Bledsoe and Dragic are both point guards.

Dame and McC are both point guards.

Curry is a point guard.

I guarantee you it would not work with two Klay Thompsons, and Booker is very much a Klay Thompson.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Those advocating for more Point Book must not have been paying attention when Booker was a turnover machine and wore down to the point of his shooting and defense falling apart, opposing pressure or not.

Playing the point is more than just racking up assists.
Booker is going to have the ball in his hands a lot regardless who is brought in. Therefor I have no issue with the player being brought in being more of a combo guard. Also I see no reason why Booker won't still continue to get better and better as a facilitator, but the team needs to have another player on the floor with him that can take away some of the pressure from the defense. A good combo guard would do just that. If we can find a true PG than great, but there just aren't a lot of those guys in the league these days.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Booker is going to have the ball in his hands a lot regardless who is brought in. Therefor I have no issue with the player being brought in being more of a combo guard. Also I see no reason why Booker won't still continue to get better and better as a facilitator, but the team needs to have another player on the floor with him that can take away some of the pressure from the defense. A good combo guard would do just that. If we can find a true PG than great, but there just aren't a lot of those guys in the league these days.

Continue to get better and better? Yes, his assists were up, but his turnovers were up more, and his shooting percentage was down. I wouldn't call that getting better. He was getting worse and worse as a point guard, and his game as a shooting guard was also suffering, weakening us at two positions. We need a pure point next to Booker, or at least a combo guard who is primarily a point (like a Brogdon or Dinwiddie).

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
This is pretty funny. We already have a combo guard on the roster. And considering some of his advanced stats, a pretty decent one.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is pretty funny. We already have a combo guard on the roster. And considering some of his advanced stats, a pretty decent one.

Which goes to illustrate my point that Booker needs more of a point guard next to him...

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I agree with this. But we already have this guy on the roster in Tyler. He did very well dealing with pressure, avoiding turnovers, and hounding on defense.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Sure, but outside of Booker and Tyler there is no one else. Also while Tyler is decent he will never be any more than that and we could use a third guy that can help the bench immediately and eventually develop into better than decent.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I agree with this. But we already have this guy on the roster in Tyler. He did very well dealing with pressure, avoiding turnovers, and hounding on defense.
He did very well is a gross overstatement

Plus we need to dump
Tyler Johnson to make real moves in free agency

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, but outside of Booker and Tyler there is no one else. Also while Tyler is decent he will never be any more than that and we could use a third guy that can help the bench immediately and eventually develop into better than decent.

I thought he played fairly well for us, his biggest drawback being his inability to put the ball in the basket. But if you look at his career stats, he shot worse from 2 and 3 point range for us than he did in any of his Miami years. So, should he return to his previous shooting form, it would at least let him be more than he was during his short stretch with us this past season. Not that I'd turn down a real PG or a combo guard that could really own the position now or down the road.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I thought he played fairly well for us, his biggest drawback being his inability to put the ball in the basket. But if you look at his career stats, he shot worse from 2 and 3 point range for us than he did in any of his Miami years. So, should he return to his previous shooting form, it would at least let him be more than he was during his short stretch with us this past season. Not that I'd turn down a real PG or a combo guard that could really own the position now or down the road.
I mean I am not saying he is bad, but he isn't anything special and never will be. We would be in a much better situation in the future if he is playing a less than starting guard role for us. I think Garland has a good chance of being a big upgrade (at least offensively) over Tyler and while Garland is learning the ropes he can play that bench role. If we can find a good veteran PG/combo guard to start for us next year than even better (for the immediate future at least).

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean I am not saying he is bad, but he isn't anything special and never will be. We would be in a much better situation in the future if he is playing a less than starting guard role for us. I think Garland has a good chance of being a big upgrade (at least offensively) over Tyler and while Garland is learning the ropes he can play that bench role. If we can find a good veteran PG/combo guard to start for us next year than even better (for the immediate future at least).

If he were on a decent contract I'd think much higher of him. He does the little things that make a team better but you're right, he's not special and he's probably never going to be more than a quality backup.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He did very well is a gross overstatement

Plus we need to dump
Tyler Johnson to make real moves in free agency
We will not be able to dump Tyler. We would have to give up way too much to move that contract, and they are not going to stretch him.

I am not saying he is the answer completely, but we need to make sure that any pg we pursue is better than he is--by a significant margin, or we are just wasting assets on a sideways move.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score

Either way, we need a Point Guard. Then having Devin as a distributing Shooting Guard would put us in a higher echelon.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We will not be able to dump Tyler. We would have to give up way too much to move that contract, and they are not going to stretch him.

I am not saying he is the answer completely, but we need to make sure that any pg we pursue is better than he is--by a significant margin, or we are just wasting assets on a sideways move.
I believe Tyler is in his last year on his contract. If there was a three way deal that needed to match contracts, we could get involved and use Tyler. I am not a cap guy, but that's the general idea I have been reading.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I believe Tyler is in his last year on his contract. If there was a three way deal that needed to match contracts, we could get involved and use Tyler. I am not a cap guy, but that's the general idea I have been reading.
He might be useful in trading for a higher contract player (like Beal for instance) but there would have to be a LOT of other low-cost value thrown in (picks, players, etc).

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
He might be useful in trading for a higher contract player (like Beal for instance) but there would have to be a LOT of other low-cost value thrown in (picks, players, etc).
I know. That's probably why we may be in a three way deal. Everyone knows the player's contracts, and maybe a PG or PF gets put in a deal a receiving team doesn't need, etc.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave