Who could the Suns add to the roster that would help?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Suns' started by Mainstreet, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

About all we can do is watch the waiver wire and see what happens. It's hard to see a trade that make sense at the moment.

2. Proximo

Proximo Registered

They need an athletic 6 10 defender.

ColdPickleNachos likes this.
  3. Matt L

Matt L formerly known as mattyboy

Was that under the prior GM?

4. Mainstreet

Richaun Holmes ($5 million) and Nemanja Bjelica ($7.5 million) are on expiring contracts with the Kings.

I particularly like Holmes. Wish the Suns had something reasonable to offer the Kings they would want.

Perhaps it's possible they waive Bjelica.

ASUCHRIS likes this.
  5. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

This team needs another Center so Monty can bench Ayton when he's loafing around on the floor.

6. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

I wanted Whiteside this offseason and he is wasting away on SAC bench. He's a perfect candidate but I've read the Lakers may make a run at him.

7. Mainstreet

Nothing like a good rumor. I think the Suns getting Andre Drummond is a reach.

8. Mainstreet

I haven't watched Drummond a lot. If the Suns were able to sign Drummond could he fit long term?

I'm only throwing it out there because I don't know. Ayton is up for an extension next season.

9. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

That would be great, I just don't see how you make the money work without really disrupting this roster.

10. Mainstreet

Drummond would have to be bought out to make it work which seems unlikely with the Celtics having a large trade exception.

It's only something to kick around.

11. AzStevenCal

AzStevenCal ASFN Contributor Contributor

It's the acquisition that intrigues me the most, I'm just not sure how to make it happen. I can't see him being bought out, he still has real value IMO and he's only 27. In a two team trade, I think it would take something like Ayton, Crowder, Carter, Moore, Galloway and Kaminsky to make it happen.

12. Mainstreet

Drummond would have to be bought out for it to happen so it's highly unlikely.

It's hard to imagine the Suns doing such a trade while they are playing so well. If they really like Drummond they could go after him in free agency. I don't want to think about extending Ayton until after the season.

The Suns probably will look to add a big man content to be a role player. Someone like JaVale McGee makes more sense if he is bought out.

13. Hoop Head

Hoop Head Registered

Drummond will be bought out eventually. No one will trade for him other than Boston, with their trade exception and some 2nd rounders. He'll probably play for cheap next season also but with the league trending back towards bigs, he'll probably be able to sign one more big deal before he's 30 but it won't be a max like deal that he's making now.

The Pistons said they weren't going to buy out Blake and they'd find a trade for him but bought him out a week later. He had another full year on his contract that will be about $35 million in dead cap space for Detroit next season.

I believe Drummond has more value but its just a sign of how the league is now. Veterans get bought out when they're expiring now more than they get dealt.

If the Suns can sign him to backup Ayton and push him in practice then they'd be fools not to.

Mainstreet likes this.
  14. JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan Registered User

If Drummond is bought out, there is a good chance of getting him. Will watch this one. Yes, Ainge has a trade exception, but Ainge tends to ask for the moon and then get left out in the cold.

15. overseascardfan

overseascardfan Registered User

So the big men rumors I've read are Drummond, McGee & Whiteside. I think Whiteside makes the most sense if we are just looking at a stop gap. Drummond would be more of long term guy still being in his prime.

Even if Drummond is bought out, you have competition from other contenders plus PHX only has bi-annual exception to offer so the challenges of money and having to come off bench may not appeal to him.