Who could the Suns add to the roster that would help?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’d take Hassan Whiteside. Mobile defender with block shots.

He is phantom. The stats are there, the results are not, same with Drummond. Chase blocks but blow assignments, gets a high rebound total but doesn't box out in heavy traffic. Miami last season and Portland this year both improved dramatically by dumping Whiteside, and he certainly hasn't made the Kings any better.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I'm going to lose it if James Jones stands pat again with such an obvious need in the front court.

Prepare to lose it. Based on the interviews I have heard from him, I don't think he is making a move - for sure not a trade.

I am just expecting a g-leaguer to be signed.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You also said that CP3 was done, that Cam Johnson can't shoot, than Saric shouldn't be in the league and that Booker has quit on the team.

We're also one of the 5 best defensive teams in the league.

When Jones wins Executive of the Year in a landslide from what hole will hot air fly out of you?

Jones is not winning executive of the year - it is already a lock Sean Marks is getting it.

Jones has made some good moves, but he's given up way to much draft capital for no reason, and made what is looking like a pretty bad draft selection in Jalen Smith.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He is phantom. The stats are there, the results are not, same with Drummond. Chase blocks but blow assignments, gets a high rebound total but doesn't box out in heavy traffic. Miami last season and Portland this year both improved dramatically by dumping Whiteside, and he certainly hasn't made the Kings any better.

They both are flawed, but I would rather have either one by far over Frank Kaminsky trying to play D on a big in the playoffs.

Of course if they are disruptive to chemistry it may not be worth it.

Still think Javale McGee is the best half way realistic option I have heard.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Jones is not winning executive of the year - it is already a lock Sean Marks is getting it.

Jones has made some good moves, but he's given up way to much draft capital for no reason, and made what is looking like a pretty bad draft selection in Jalen Smith.

Still don't get why you tear the man down because of the draft. The exact same stuff was said about Cam Johnson and that was a bunch of hot air at the time. It isn't a slam dunk selection, but there is no reason right now to think it's outright bad. And what other draft capital has he given up and why does is it "way too much"?

But you are right, Sean Marks is the only exec in the league that even compares to James Jones. It will be between the two of them.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They both are flawed, but I would rather have either one by far over Frank Kaminsky trying to play D on a big in the playoffs.

Of course if they are disruptive to chemistry it may not be worth it.

Still think Javale McGee is the best half way realistic option I have heard.

I just don't see it. Kaminsky at least spreads the floor. Those guys clog the paint, provide nothing on offense and, other than an occasional weak side block, are a mess on defense too.

I'd rather search the scrap bin of the G-League or see who else gets waived.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still don't get why you tear the man down because of the draft. The exact same stuff was said about Cam Johnson and that was a bunch of hot air at the time. It isn't a slam dunk selection, but there is no reason right now to think it's outright bad. And what other draft capital has he given up and why does is it "way too much"?

But you are right, Sean Marks is the only exec in the league that even compares to James Jones. It will be between the two of them.

It is outright bad because he did not take Halliburton. It was the obvious choice, and he has proved to be every bit as good as it appeared he would be. We would have no third guard issue, and would have Paul's replacement in 2 years. Not selecting him was a huge blunder.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It is outright bad because he did not take Halliburton. It was the obvious choice, and he has proved to be every bit as good as it appeared he would be. We would have no third guard issue, and would have Paul's replacement in 2 years. Not selecting him was a huge blunder.
We don't have a 3rd guard issue. Cam has had a few rough games recently, but I still don't see why we need a superstar in that position when we have such a need at the frontcourt spots.

Not selecting Haliburton might be a mistake, but not a huge blunder. We likely would not have the same player you see in Sacramento. Just based on minutes limitations between a bad and good team.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Still don't get why you tear the man down because of the draft. The exact same stuff was said about Cam Johnson and that was a bunch of hot air at the time. It isn't a slam dunk selection, but there is no reason right now to think it's outright bad.

Except for the fact that he hasn't even been competitive in the G League...and this is coming from someone who didn't hate the Smith pick at the time. The fact that he looked overmatched in the G League has me very concerned now.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Prepare to lose it. Based on the interviews I have heard from him, I don't think he is making a move - for sure not a trade.

I am just expecting a g-leaguer to be signed.

His passivity during the season is a major handicap for the franchise.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what happened with Alize Johnson, a G-League player who the Suns and a couple of other teams reportedly had interest,

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We don't have a 3rd guard issue. Cam has had a few rough games recently, but I still don't see why we need a superstar in that position when we have such a need at the frontcourt spots.

Not selecting Haliburton might be a mistake, but not a huge blunder. We likely would not have the same player you see in Sacramento. Just based on minutes limitations between a bad and good team.

If we had Halliburton he would be getting all the minutes of Cam Payne and E'twon Moore. We would have him locked in for 4 years at a cheap salary.

While I think Payne is adequate most nights, Halliburton can single handedly win games and has all star potential.

I agree our biggest need is an athletic 4/5 - which is what Jalen Smith was supposed to be. He's so raw apparently he can't even get garbage time minutes, and when he does he just wants to stand in the corner like a small forward. He is looking like a bust for the 10th overall selection.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If there is hope for Ty Jerome there must be hope for Jalen Smith.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to lose it if James Jones stands pat again with such an obvious need in the front court.

what does Jones have to use in trade to get a PF? If you're gonna lose it over a guy who has this team with the second best record in the league, without assets needed to make a PF move, you're just bitching to bitch.

so, tell me... what can Jones do, with the assets he has, to get a PF?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If we had Halliburton he would be getting all the minutes of Cam Payne and E'twon Moore. We would have him locked in for 4 years at a cheap salary.

While I think Payne is adequate most nights, Halliburton can single handedly win games and has all star potential.

Wow. Well, we disagree there, and based on that there is no way you're not going to be angry at James Jones.

I agree our biggest need is an athletic 4/5 - which is what Jalen Smith was supposed to be. He's so raw apparently he can't even get garbage time minutes, and when he does he just wants to stand in the corner like a small forward. He is looking like a bust for the 10th overall selection.

He's not a bust yet. Not in this season. I don't see how you can apply the same criteria to him as to anyone else in any other draft.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
what does Jones have to use in trade to get a PF? If you're gonna lose it over a guy who has this team with the second best record in the league, without assets needed to make a PF move, you're just bitching to bitch.

so, tell me... what can Jones do, with the assets he has, to get a PF?

Carter or Galloway for Whiteside or McGee, or sign either as a buyout candidate. Sign Drummond as a buyout candidate. Sign Cousins.

Then play Ayton at the 4, where he seems to prefer to play, anyway.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not a bust yet. Not in this season. I don't see how you can apply the same criteria to him as to anyone else in any other draft.

Here's the thing, it is very, very rare players that become stars don't at least show something in their rookie season. Smith has shown absolutely nothing. Not a single highlight play.

The few times I have seen him in the paint, it's been embarrassing. He can't seem to make a layup, and has had his shot blocked. Could he become a rotation player eventually, yeah maybe. But it's clear to me we missed on the 10th pick - which we won't get another one that high for years. Not just because we are a better team, but because Jones trades away our first rounders as if they are worthless.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Carter or Galloway for Whiteside or McGee, or sign either as a buyout candidate. Sign Drummond as a buyout candidate. Sign Cousins.

Then play Ayton at the 4, where he seems to prefer to play, anyway.

If your goal is to absolutely destroy our defense and spacing... that is one way to go about it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His passivity during the season is a major handicap for the franchise.

In two and a half years he has taken over the franchise that was considered to be the laughingstock of the NBA with probably the weakest roster in the league to a franchise that players want to play for and a roster that has led us to the 3rd best record in the league. Is this a perfect roster? Not even close. But what he has done is almost miraculous when you consider our starting point - despite the fact that you've pissed and moaned about almost every single decision he's made or not made.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If your goal is to absolutely destroy our defense and spacing... that is one way to go about it.

The fact is that we have problems with interior defense as it is. The blueprint to beat the Suns is out there. Play physical inside and pound the paint. With any opponent that does that, the Suns have to shoot an insane percentage from outside to win, as they did in Portland. That is simply not sustainable for the Suns.

Unless the Suns address their weakness in the front court and get Ayton some help with interior defense, interior scoring and rebounding, this team will continue to be overreliant on outside shots falling, with a worn out Booker and an old Paul and Crowder shooting the bulk of them, in which event second in the West will be a distant memory, and this team will struggle just to make the playoffs.

Plus at this point it is clear that Ayton is far more effective playing next to another big and far less effective playing as the only interior presence surrounded by wings and guards.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the thing, it is very, very rare players that become stars don't at least show something in their rookie season. Smith has shown absolutely nothing. Not a single highlight play.

The few times I have seen him in the paint, it's been embarrassing. He can't seem to make a layup, and has had his shot blocked. Could he become a rotation player eventually, yeah maybe. But it's clear to me we missed on the 10th pick - which we won't get another one that high for years. Not just because we are a better team, but because Jones trades away our first rounders as if they are worthless.

I spend a lot of time wondering why James Jones tied up future first round draft picks when the Suns window is now.

Suns could trade for a power forward if they had one rather than hoping for a waived player to choose Phoenix.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I spend a lot of time wondering why James Jones tied up future first round draft picks when the Suns window is now.

Suns could trade for a power forward if they had one rather than hoping for a waived player to choose Phoenix.

Yeah, He could use the one he needlessly gave away in the Chris Paul trade, or the one he could have gotten for moving down to select Jalen Smith.

There was a reason I was so pissed about him this offseason.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact is that he have problems with interior defense as it is. The blueprint to beat the Suns is out there. Play physical inside and pound the paint. With any opponent that does that, the Suns have to shoot an insane percentage from outside to win, as they did in Portland. That is simply not sustainable for the Suns.

Unless the Suns address their weakness in the front court and get Ayton some help with interior defense, interior scoring and rebounding, this team will continue to be overreliant on outside shots falling, with a worn out Booker and an old Paul and Crowder shooting the bulk of them, in which event second in the West will be a distant memory, and this team will struggle just to make the playoffs.

Plus at this point it is clear that Ayton is far more effective playing next to another big and far less effective playing as the only interior presence surrounded by wings and guards.

That's not the blueprint. The blueprint has been to pull Ayton to the perimeter where he can no longer keep the penetrators from having their way. We get hurt every now and then with big bodies but we've made the other teams pay greatly for that advantage. We haven't been able to make them pay when our inside presence is outside watching the game.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, He could use the one he needlessly gave away in the Chris Paul trade, or the one he could have gotten for moving down to select Jalen Smith.

There was a reason I was so pissed about him this offseason.

That's absurd. Just because you want it to be this way doesn't mean it could have been or would have been. Yes, we could have drawn a line in the sand on Paul but that does not mean we could have counted on OKC giving in. And it's not like that pick was all that valuable - neither it nor the imaginary pick some team might have given us to move up to the 10th spot would have likely given us the firepower we need to acquire what we're currently missing.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's not the blueprint. The blueprint has been to pull Ayton to the perimeter where he can no longer keep the penetrators from having their way. We get hurt every now and then with big bodies but we've made the other teams pay greatly for that advantage. We haven't been able to make them pay when our inside presence is outside watching the game.

Most of our losses, including Saturday night against the Pacers, have been a result of opponents dominating us inside and on the glass, and the same has caused us to fall significantly behind in a number of games where we had to get hot from 3 point range to pull out wins. Again, I don't think that is sustainable, especially as the season wears on and legs get heavy.