Who could the Suns add to the roster that would help?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Suns could use more size on the roster so I'm primarily looking for depth at the 4/5. It could be a waived player, free agent, G-League player or even a trade. Feel free to name any player that might work.

The Suns do have a two-way roster spot available without waiving anyone. Also they have the Bi-Annual Exception which would allow the Suns to pay a player around $4 million. Also they could add a player for the minimum salary if they waived someone.

I found this list of free agent players some of which may still be available.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-free-agent-rankings-top-players-available-right-now/

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a quote from Monty that addresses the Suns need for size not that they won't look internally instead of externally.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
As a side note, I think Frank and Dario are fine at 4 as long as Ayton is in the game. I think they get into trouble when the only long, athletic big they have goes out. We saw this time and time again last year, even when they had Baines- there is just no length or athleticism with Ayton out. I actually really like Dario and Frank, but they have to have someone with some length and athleticism next to them in big lineups.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noah Vonleh is already out of the league? I'd give him a look. Ilysova would be another interesting option.

I like both suggestions. It's too bad veterans cannot be added on a two-way contract.

In regard to trades, I'm not sure who would be in demand that's expendable.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like some of the centers it lists like Dedmon, Mahinmi, Amir Johnson, and Thon Maker. All would need real NBA deals though since they've been around too long for two way contracts.

I think Jonathon Motley could be signed to a two way deal but I'm not positive. He was with the team for camp and preseason. He looked decent in limited time and there is some familiarity there.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like some of the centers it lists like Dedmon, Mahinmi, Amir Johnson, and Thon Maker. All would need real NBA deals though since they've been around too long for two way contracts.

I think Jonathon Motley could be signed to a two way deal but I'm not positive. He was with the team for camp and preseason. He looked decent in limited time and there is some familiarity there.

Jonathan Motley's G-League stats are off the charts but his game didn't seem to translate to the NBA. I'm guessing Henry Ellenson wouldn't qualify for a two-way contract either.

I thought the NBA was working on a resolution to this issue where NBA veterans wouldn't be left out on teams wanting to add them on shorter or temporary prove-it contracts.

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One more big banger.

If we keep playing well, maybe we’re a team in the running for a buyout guy down the road for the playoff stretch?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Back up defensive-minded center and a better option at back up PG.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's hard to see who the Suns would waive to add another player. It would likely have to be a trade.

I'm hoping the Suns are still looking to fill that second two-way roster spot.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Suns are not going to play Jalen Smith he might be better off getting game experience with a G-League team.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If the Suns are not going to play Jalen Smith he might be better off getting game experience with a G-League team.
I can't understand what the problem would be with giving him 10 minutes a game. I mean they were really short handed last night against CLE and he couldn't get a few minutes?

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't understand what the problem would be with giving him 10 minutes a game. I mean they were really short handed last night against CLE and he couldn't get a few minutes?

Only my thoughts, but I don't think the Suns trust Jalen to perform at a high level just yet. Most of the time I see him hanging out a the 3-point line. He tends to look a bit lost out there.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My post in the cavs game thread didnt go through. But one point i mentioned was that when Ayton got foul number two, with 1 minute left to go in the first half, he could have just substituted Smith in for a minute.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

The g league is playing in a bubble, I thought, so there would be quarantine periods sending him up and down. That might make a team think twice before sending someone down. I'm sure he's a good practice player if nothing else.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The g league is playing in a bubble, I thought, so there would be quarantine periods sending him up and down. That might make a team think twice before sending someone down. I'm sure he's a good practice player if nothing else.

I agree, a team probably wouldn't want to be sending players back and forth because of the quarantine period although the G-League season is only about a month.

IMO, Jalen Smith could benefit by playing. It's unfortunate he probably won't get much of a chance with the big club since the Suns are in win-now mode.

I was looking when the G-League starts. It looks like the start date is February 10th.

Ty-Shon Alexander will be playing for the Canton Charge this season.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
One more big banger.

If we keep playing well, maybe we’re a team in the running for a buyout guy down the road for the playoff stretch?

Agreed. Ayton is the only guy on the roster who has the strength to really bang down low. Why did we ever let Richaun Holmes walk? And for what he got from the Kings? Dumb.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave