Who are your top 5 clubs in the world?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Chap had a good thread in the Movies section. How about we try it here.....

List your top 5 football clubs. Any league, any country.

Mine:

1. Barcelona
2. Real Madrid
3. Manchester United
4. Bayern Munich
5. Athletico Madrid

Honorable Mention: PSG, Juventus, & Borussia Dortmund.

I know I lean a bit towards La Liga. PSG & Athletico are close to me.

What are your picks?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Your top 4 are pretty much on target. Atletico, though, I disagree with--I'd throw Juve there I think. Benfica is having a good year in Portugal and you can't discount Man City and/or Chelsea at points during the season. Dortmund and PSG are also good mentions, although PSG is a big underachiever.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Right now?

1. Barca
2. Bayern

3. Dortmund
4. Madrid
5. Man Utd

All time?

1. Madrid
2. Milan
3. Bayern
4. Liverpool
5. Barca

I'd like to hear justification how anyone could put Madrid over Bayern right now seeing how Bayern is dominating right now while Madrid struggles, Madrid has not done anything in the CL for a decade, got dominated by Bayern last year and Man United did not even make it out of the first round and has never ever beat Bayern Munich in a home-away set. Their only win against Bayern was that fluke win in the 1999 final.
Looking at ManUtd squad there are maybe a whole of 1 or 2 players that could get into Bayern's regular starting line up right now and that would be eather Van Persie or Rooney in place of Gomez though that isn't much on an upgrade if at all seeing how Gomez has a far superior goal scoring record. It would be a matter of style.

Ribery----------------Gomez--------Mueller/Robben
----------------------Kroos
---------------Martinez------Schweini
Alaba---Badstuber/Dante-----Boateng---------Lahm
----------------------Neuer

The Premier League is overrated right now. The Bundesliga is about to surpass them in UEFA standing soon. Bayern and Dortmund are both more likely to win the CL than any English team.
http://www.fuenfjahreswertung.de/

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
All-time champions league tables

1. Real Madrid 677 Pts
2. Bayern Munich 506 Pts
3. FC Barcelona 471 Pts
4. Manchester United 466 Pts
5. AC Milan 423 Pts

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Do you mean 'My top 5' or 'the' top 5?

your personal top 5.

I would put Madrid above Bayern because I simply think that they are better. Madrid isn't as consistent this year but when they play the top teams, they still beat them in La Liga. They are the only tie on Barca's record and took out Athletico when they played them.

If they played Bayern I would expect Madrid to win probably 3-1. Maybe 2-0.

I am really down on Serie A this year. Juve is the best of the bunch, but I think they might have an inflated record based on the competition.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If they played Bayern I would expect Madrid to win probably 3-1. Maybe 2-0.

Yeah just like last year... except Bayern has gotten better while Madrid is falling apart.

You have to go a long way back... Bayern is Real Madrid's nemesis. As Milan is to Bayern.

PS: There are no top teams in La Liga except Real Madrid and Barcelona, to a lesser degree Valencia and maybe Atletico but it falls off quickly after those.. a lot of bottom feeders in La Liga and overall just not a competetive league.

Madrid is 18 points behind Barca and even behind Atletico who are not a top team. 19 games 4 losses 4 draws and conceded 20 goals already compared to 45 scored. Bayern in 17 games scored 44 conceded 7(2 penalties, 2 own goals) , drew 3 times and lost 1 game where they pretty much scored 2 own goals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
PS: There are no top teams in La Liga except Real Madrid and Barcelona, to a lesser degree Valencia and maybe Atletico but it falls off quickly after those.. a lot of bottom feeders in La Liga and overall just not a competetive league.

Personally, I really like Malaga. Great defense, Joaquin, Isco, Wily, Bunanote (sp?).

Just like every league there is a top an a bottom of the table. However if there was a mini tourney pitting Barca v. Bayern, Athletico v. Leverkusen and Dortmund v. Madrid, I think the La Liga team would be favored in all three tie's.

Plus.... La Liga is just a prettier brand of football IMO.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chap had a good thread in the Movies section. How about we try it here.....

List your top 5 football clubs. Any league, any country.

Mine:

1. Barcelona
2. Real Madrid
3. Manchester United
4. Bayern Munich
5. Athletico Madrid

Honorable Mention: PSG, Juventus, & Borussia Dortmund.

I know I lean a bit towards La Liga. PSG & Athletico are close to me.

What are your picks?

I also full agree with your top 4. 5 is where it becomes really tricky. Athletico doesn't belong.

My gut wants to go with Juve, but Borussia and City deserve discussion. Athletico doesn

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Personally, I really like Malaga. Great defense, Joaquin, Isco, Wily, Bunanote (sp?).

Just like every league there is a top an a bottom of the table. However if there was a mini tourney pitting Barca v. Bayern, Athletico v. Leverkusen and Dortmund v. Madrid, I think the La Liga team would be favored in all three tie's.

Plus.... La Liga is just a prettier brand of football IMO.

Bayern finished the group ahead of Valencia, Dortmund ahead of Madrid, Bayern beat Madrid last year.

Bundesliga has the highest goal average, most balance among the teams, best stadiums, best supporters and most importantly don't allow clubs to use investors(Paris, Chelsea, Malaga, City) and have a strict debts policy that would never allow clubs to buy their success by paying money they don't really have (entire premier league, entire spanish league, entire italian league)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bayern finished the group ahead of Valencia, Dortmund ahead of Madrid, Bayern beat Madrid last year.

Bundesliga has the highest goal average, most balance among the teams, best stadiums, best supporters and most importantly don't allow clubs to use investors(Paris, Chelsea, Malaga, City) and have a strict debts policy that would never allow clubs to buy their success by paying money they don't really have (entire premier league, entire spanish league, entire italian league)

Um what? The entire Spanish league outside of Real and Barca scrape by selling their assets whenever they can. What are you talking about?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Um what? The entire Spanish league outside of Real and Barca scrape by selling their assets whenever they can. What are you talking about?

and they still have DEBTS

Look at La Coruna for example or Valencia or Atletico or Real Madrid. The Premier League was NOTHING in the early 90s until they started buying their success by accumulating billions of debt.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and they still have DEBTS

Look at La Coruna for example or Valencia or Atletico or Real Madrid. The Premier League was NOTHING in the early 90s until they started buying their success by accumulating billions of debt.

So how are you arguing that their debt policy is allowing teams to buy their success if most of La Liga isn't and is in debt. Dude, you make no sense.