who are the FA next year?

cardsfan473

In memory of a REAL Hero
Reaction score
I've got an off-the-wall idea about this free agency thing.
It will sound strange, but after what's been going on for a while around here, it doesn't sound that odd.....

What if we are just trying to get by this year, and waiting to hit hard in the FA market next year. I mean, keeping a lot of space open, so we can be active in a better FA market.

The reason I say this, is that many GM's have gone on record as saying this isn't a very good FA market.

Why sign a bunch of people, just for the sake of doing it? If we are serious about building a contender, then we need to look for better quality players. To sign people for the sake of doing so, seems silly to me.

That having been said, I'm definitley dissapointed about Colvin, but we will move on.

I think we are really targeting guys who will be cut after the draft, and June 1. Sign them to shorter deals, and manage the cap. This is unpopular, I'm sure, but sounds like a possible explaination.

I do think we need to get a QB in place before the draft, to start learning the system Sully will install. (or we are going to take Leftwitch).

Anyway, that is the only thing I can see we are doing. I know it sounds crazy, but that is what I think we are doing.

I'm sure I'll get blasted for this, but that is how I'm seeing it.

I would not overpay Holliday, or any of the others. Once the market dries up, agents will be singing our praises. The Cards and Vikings will have a ton of money, and the others won't be able to afford anybody. Risky strategy, but one that may work in our favor. We never know who may be getting cut. Players may be better after June 1, than they are now. Really, the FA market is pretty weak.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are going with our own. What ever 2nd level guys we get in FA....and draft/udfas.

Graves will build a base and develop the talent. But that means lots of losses. However, even if we draft amazing talent (ala Boston) and can not keep them then it is moot. We are nothing more than a minor league team for the rest of the NFL.

I am not against getting in good, young talent. But we have to develop a loyalty with them. This is where the Owner has to change. No more stupid hold outs. No more no slotted insurance for draft picks. Heck...give bonuses because it is Wednesday.... Free t-shirts, hats, hot dogs, whatever.

This is where we need to change.

BigRed

Cardinals for Life
Reaction score
The only problem is no FA worth his salt will come to play for the Cards.

OP
OP
cardsfan473

cardsfan473

In memory of a REAL Hero
Reaction score
I won't argue with you there Redstorm... I agree.

I just think we may be seeking a better FA market, before acting. It will be tough on us fans, but in the long term may prove a better strategy.

Lord knows I am not trying to defend the Bidwills. I'm originally from St. Louis, and have been a Cardinals fan since I was 2 years
old. Now I'm 30. So I've seen it first hand, for 28 years now.

While I'm bitterly dissapointed that we have not been more successful in FA (taking less money to play elsewhere tells about our perception arround the league), I actually applaude Graves in a few ways.

We need to stop the cycle of overpaying, and then build loyalty from within, as you said. Until we quit overpaying players, we will never get better. As much as I can't stand the guy, Simeon Rice was right at the time. When they gave Plummer that CRAZY contract, we could have used that extra money to retain Centers and Lomas Brown. Instead, we overpaid a guy that didn't produce. We need to stop doing that, in order to improve.

There was a time, when I was a child that our team was actually pretty decent. I remeber sitting arround with my dad, and uncles chearing on Dan D. , Hart, Lomax, Roy Green, and many others. There was a time we had very good players.

Those days seem so far away now. But I will never give up. I hope fora day of promenance once again. We've been waiting a long time!

Until we break the cycle of doing as we have done the last few years, the organization will not change. I agree with Skkorp, in that I do believe things are different under Graves. We may not be happy right now, but I'm willing to wait. I've been waiting for 28 years now...a few more won't matter. Call it blind faith, but I'm a fan, and can't be cured. I know, I have tried to stop! :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose