Who are some DCs that you would aim for 2020?

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
a theoretical question:

Chandler Jones is the one impact player on D, and he is most productive as a 3/4 OLB.

Is that enough to stick with the 3/4?
There are plenty of 4-3 schemes that give the WDE the same edge rush responsibilites as a 3-4 OLB... That was my problem with Wilkes (among many others), he didn't use people where they were best suited to play or capitalized in on their strengths...

But since CJ is our only real impact player on D as you mentioned, I would absolutely use him in the best scheme that takes advantage of his talent.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Funny thing is, he wouldn’t have played him until Bruce Irvin got injured despite Bruce Irvin being washed up.
Arians had a similar view of playing rookies. I look at how Rivera has developed Bradbury, Kuechly, Burns, Short, Shaq Thompson, and Donte Jackson. I may not love his approach with young players, but it seems to work. A bunch of home grown talent on that roster.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN already speculating multiple teams will be vying for Rivera's HCing services, including LAC.

Doesn't surprise me. It seems that every HC that has led their team to the Superbowl gets at least one more HC gig before they have to go back down to coordinator.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arians had a similar view of playing rookies. I look at how Rivera has developed Bradbury, Kuechly, Burns, Short, Shaq Thompson, and Donte Jackson. I may not love his approach with young players, but it seems to work. A bunch of home grown talent on that roster.

Man, I do love Keuchly and Shaq. Those guys are EXACTLY what we need on this team.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wade Phillips contract is up after this season. Pay him royally and let him ad fixing another defense to his resume.
I don't see them wanting him to go or him wanting to leave just to come here. I guess it could happen though.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont think it will be Rex Ryan since he badmouthed our coach and team for hiring KK and running this type of offense. Wade phillips isnt leaving, also, i think he runs a 4-3 and Im not switching again.

Why not bring Ray Horton back
I believe Horton has been basically out of the NFL since he left here.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We only have one good ilb. In a 4-3 we need two more plus a bunch of guys who can play the line. Imo with Chandler, Hicks and Peter's we have a good 3-4 foundation still

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
We only have one good ilb. In a 4-3 we need two more plus a bunch of guys who can play the line. Imo with Chandler, Hicks and Peter's we have a good 3-4 foundation still

And Walker isn't terrible. He grades at least average. Just not great in coverage, which you really need there.

Maybe they can get another good tackling ILB in FA and move Hicks over.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And Walker isn't terrible. He grades at least average. Just not great in coverage, which you really need there.

Maybe they can get another good tackling ILB in FA and move Hicks over.
Hicks would be solid in either system, I just have zero confidence in the admin not only finding one more good mlb but two. Walker is okay. He's a rotational player and would need to be upgraded for a 4-3. Sticking to 3-4 he's a great backup for the inside.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Man, I do love Keuchly and Shaq. Those guys are EXACTLY what we need on this team.
Personally, I think we need a solid foundational system because we all know that we need to add talent regardless. My thought is Rivera is used to scheming against Brees, Ryan, Sean Payton, and other good offensive coaches...you get a very good foundation with him. It may have a lower ceiling, but it also has a high floor IMO. I think he would just offer the quick fix that Murray is going to need.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Rod Marinelli and Kris Richard might be available if Garrett gets axed. Hasn't been a great year, but the Dallas defense has been decent over the past couple years. I think we have personnel that could fit. If you wanted to trade Peterson for a ham sandwich, you could sign Byron Jones as a FA who would know the scheme. Hicks is a good enough LB for this scheme. Chandler Jones can fill the Demarcus Lawrence role. Corey Peters can play either DT role. Zach Allen could be a base DE or rotational DT.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
If/when the Giants clean house, would you welcome Bettcher back?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
No, I think he was with Tenn and Cleveland, after AZ.

He’s a positional coach with Wash. why not bring him back? He was great with Whiz. Really the highlight of the end of Whiz’s tenure.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
He’s a positional coach with Wash. why not bring him back? He was great with Whiz. Really the highlight of the end of Whiz’s tenure.
He didn't just burn the bridge, he burned down the whole damn town on his way out.

PS: my 'no' was only in reference to him being out of football since AZ.

ReasonableMan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He didn't just burn the bridge, he burned down the whole damn town on his way out.

PS: my 'no' was only in reference to him being out of football since AZ.

I literally Googled him after I read your post because I forgot about him.
I think where he is now would bring him down to earth since it’d be a promotion from an assistant DB coach and it’s been 9 years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose