Whiz And His Bad Timing

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
By slanidrac16
Whiz. He is the smartest head coach we have EVER had. That's right. EVER! I have officially moved him ahead of Coryell because of the job he has done with this team in regards to defense, special teams and depth. His demeanor on the sidelines and with the press is so even keeled and consistant. I have no idea how he can remain so calm. A perfect example and comparison. When Timmy fumbled the camera immediately went to Whiz. He had already moved on the the problem at hand. No signs of disgust, throwing headsets, rolling his eyes or staring down the player at fault.
In contrast, Mike Singletary. Gore fumbles. Singletary is 10 yards on the field staring at Gore shaking his head. He contantly seems to berate players through out the game. He could not carry Whiz's clip board, at least not to this point.

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...als-30-vikings-17-a-144668-2.html#post2140766

I have been wondering what it would take for Coach Whiz to get his dues and win coach of the year. Last year he was beat out by a coach who was handed a winning team in a winning organization. By contrast Whiz in his second season has taken a losing team in a losing franchise and has had them in the Superbowl.

This year it looks like with two teams at 12-0, Whiz will be over looked again. I say no coach has done as much as he has but maybe if we win out and the Saints and Colts lose a few, he could get his deserved credit.

Seems his timing of wins has been off, but how could anyone say that anyone would be more deserving if we can win out. At least that is my feeling.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By slanidrac16

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb...als-30-vikings-17-a-144668-2.html#post2140766

I have been wondering what it would take for Coach Whiz to get his dues and win coach of the year. Last year he was beat out by a coach who was handed a winning team in a winning organization. By contrast Whiz in his second season has taken a losing team in a losing franchise and has had them in the Superbowl.

This year it looks like with two teams at 12-0, Whiz will be over looked again. I say no coach has done as much as he has but maybe if we win out and the Saints and Colts lose a few, he could get his deserved credit.

Seems his timing of wins has been off, but how could anyone say that anyone would be more deserving if we can win out. At least that is my feeling.

When it comes right down to it, I couldn't care any less about post season awards. The recognition is nice, but as fans we need to recognize what each player and coach brings to the table. We need to get Whiz wrapped up for the long term. We are one game away from claiming our SECOND CONSECUTIVE NFC TITLE. We are one game away from officially changing the culture of this team, the fans and the city.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvin Lewis wins COY of the year and it should be a landslide.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only way Whiz would have a shot is if we won the Super Bowl. Otherwise, he won't even be mentioned.

COY is a regular season award if I am not mistaken....

OP
OP
Perfectionist

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
COY is a regular season award if I am not mistaken....

That is correct and why timing of winning and wins is important. I know he probably could give a rats about the award, but as a fan, I really don't think Whiz has been given alot of credit for his accomplishments. Still if we could win out finish 12-4 and the Colts and Saints each lose a couple, I would hope he would get some consideration.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite Whiz moment that illustrates that shows he's calmer than the Sphynx was the missed fg/timeout versus Dallas. Whiz points to himself and says its on me. Myself, my head spun completely around like Linda Blair in Exorcist at that moment and I was spitting blood. That's why he's the coach and I'm just a spectator. I don't want to turn this into a Chuck Norris thread but that was legendary calmness at a terrible moment.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Whis

I think one aspect of what makes Whis an outstanding coach is player relationships. He actually solicits and encourages player input and seems to incorporate that input. I read an article about the defense and how Bill Davis has encouraged his players input and suggestions which was a total change from his predecessor.

I have tremendous respect for Whis recognizing that he wasn't in Pittsburgh anymore. He realized that he had two pro-bowl receivers and a HOF quarterback playing in a climate-controlled stadium for 9 games a year. So he flipped his personal perferences and helped turn the Cardinals into one of the most potent passing offenses in the league.

He recognized the talent he inherited and he hired good assistant coaches who could teach and maximum the production out of that talent.

Of course, staying healthy hasn't hurt. ;)

Last edited:

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I think one aspect of what makes Whis an outstanding coach is player relationships. He actually solicits and encourages player input and seems to incorporate that input.

Exactly. I also heard/read that for the Vikings game, Kurt gave him a list of plays he felt comfortable running and Whis sat down with him and incorporated them into the game plan. Not very many head coaches are so ego-less.