Which NFCW Team had the Best Draft - Rate them 1,2,3,or4

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Cards
7. Cardinals select: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
I don't like drafting guards high in the first round, but Cooper fills a need. And he is athletic and can move. He will be a heck of a guard. But it's high for a guard.
45. Cardinals select: Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU
He's a solid linebacker who fills a need. With Daryl Washington suspended for four games, it makes sense.
69. Cardinals select: Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
He is a good player, if he can stay out of trouble. But he has Patrick Peterson to keep him in line.
103. Cardinals select: Alex Okafor, DE, Texas
Productive and high-character player with good get-off and ability to beat tackles around the edge or across their face. Profiled as more of a 4-3 DE but stood up at times at Texas and instantly becomes Arizona's most talented edge rusher.
116. Cardinals select: Earl Watford, OG, James Madison
Athletic, mobile player who can anchor against the bull rush and stay with many interior rushers in pass pro. Level of competition questions, but has the athletic package to push the dubious Chilo Rachal at RG.
140. Cardinals select: Stepfan Taylor, RB, Stanford
One of the better runners left on the board, Taylor won't wow anyone with his quickness but shows some forward lean and between-the-tackles hammer potential. He'll fit in well with a fairly pedestrian Cardinals backfield.
174. Cardinals select: Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M
Swope is an extremely savvy and productive route runner who opened a lot of eyes with his blazing 40 time at the combine. Something of an inexplicable faller in this draft, Swope is a great get for the Cards in the sixth round. Some Wayne Chrebet/Keyshawn Johnson drama could be in the works when he outproduces last year's first rounder Michael Floyd.
187. Cardinals select: Andre Ellington, RB, Clemson
Undersized but tremendously explosive and productive, Ellington improves on the departed LaRod Stephens-Howling's skill set and may be the most talented back in Arizona from the first day of mini-camp.
219. Cardinals select: D.C. Jefferson, TE, Rutgers
Jefferson has a strong TE build and is one of the draft's better blockers at the position. There's not a ton to like in the Cards' TE corps at the moment, so Jefferson could carve out an early role in the desert.

Rams
8. Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
Austin is one of my favorite players in this draft. I love this kid. It's a league of big plays, and he will provide plenty of them.
30. Alec Ogletree, OLB, Georgia
Ogletree has some off-the-field issues, but that doesn't bother the Rams. He had some down games, but he is athletic.
71. T.J. McDonald, FS, Southern California
He is stiff and reminds me more of an old-time safety. He doesn't have range.
92. Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia
They got Austin and now Bailey. Nice job by the Rams. This kid is polished.
113. Rams select: Barrett Jones, C, Alabama
Smart, versatile guy with good size, technique and ability to handle stunts, but limited as an overall athlete. Still profiles as a capable, above-average C who could succeed the aging Scott Wells or replace the incompetent Rokevious Watkins at G.
149. Brandon McGee, CB, Miami (Fla.)
There's some young talent in St. Louis' cornerback corps, but Cortland Finnegan's physical style and Janoris Jenkins' knuckleheadness make depth a desirable thing. McGee has a solid size/speed combo despite struggling his senior season.
160. Zac Stacy, RB, Vanderbilt
A solid athlete who was a tough, productive runner in college. When you're facing `Bama, Georgia and Florida behind a Vanderbilt OL, that's nothing to sneeze at. He'll join Darryl Richardson and Isaiah Pead in the Rams' backfield to compete for the carries left behind by Steven Jackson.

Seahawks
62. Christine Michael, RB, Texas A&M
I love this pick. Yes, he has some off-field issues, but he is a heck of a runner. Does it fill a need? No. But I like it.
87. Jordan Hill, DT, Penn State
This is a vintage Seahawks pick. They get it. This is a productive inside player on a team that faced a lot of adversity.
123. Chris Harper, WR, Kansas State
Physical receiver who can bat aside press coverage and compete well for the ball while flashing solid RAC ability. He profiles as a possession guy for Seattle who could possibly succeed Golden Tate.
137. Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
After the loss of man-mountain Alan Branch from the interior of their DL, the Seahawks could use some additional depth. They get a run-stuffing terror in Aussie/Alabama product Jesse Williams. His knees are iffy for the long term, but he can start giving Seattle productive snaps from Day One.
138. Tharold Simon, CB, LSU
Simon has great height, frame and shows the kind of hip turn to stay with receivers as they get downfield, but with questions on his feet and overall quickness. Some character concerns arose when he was arrested on Tharold Simon Day in his native Eunice, LA.
158. Luke Willson, TE, Rice
A steady presence in both Old School and the underappreciated Idiocracy, Willson ... whoops. Wait a minute. He's a TE from Rice who must be smart, but who hasn't shown up on anyone's draft lists except for, apparently, Seattle's.
194. Spencer Ware, RB, LSU
A tough, physical runner who also flashes the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield, Ware faces an uphill climb to make the roster behind Lynch, Robert Turbin and 2nd rounder Christine Michael.
220. Ryan Seymour, OG, Vanderbilt
A competitive blocker who had to face the SEC's best week in and week out, Seymour could push for a spot given Seattle's underwhelming guard duo.
231. Ty Powell, OLB, Harding
Powell is somewhat undersized, but has an intriguing mix of speed and explosion. A creative guy like Pete Carroll can probably find a way to maximize Powell's skills in a sub-package pass rush role.
241. Jared Smith, DT, New Hampshire
A quick, high-motor DT who can be a part of the rotation as Seattle fills the hole left by Alan Branch's departure.
242. Michael Bowie, OT, Northeastern State
A long and strong tackle who will need a ton of polish, Bowie may be ticketed for the practice squad but could potentially bookend Russell Okung after a few seasons.

Niners
18. Eric Reid, FS, LSU
I like Reid to step in and start right away. This move up is aggressive by a team that could afford it. Solid job.
40. Cornellius Carradine, DE, Florida State
I love the pick of Carradine by the 49ers. They can afford to be patient with him. When he's ready to be a star -- and he will be -- take over for Justin Smith.
55. Vance McDonald, TE, Rice
The 49ers needed another move tight end with Delanie Walker gone. McDonald will fill that role.
88. Corey Lemonier, DE, Auburn
This is another 49ers steal. He is a little light to play defensive end, but he can step in and play outside 3-4 rush linebacker.
128. Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
A tremendously productive receiver with the quicks and acceleration to thrive in the slot. Outstanding value in the late 4th and can contribute immediately between Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin.
131. Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
San Francisco likes to redshirt their choices, and that's an ideal scenario for Marcus Lattimore as he recovers from his horrendous knee injury. A between-the-tackles hammer who could succeed Frank Gore while also picking up knee injury recovery tips in the process.
157. Quinton Dial, DT, Alabama
A versatile guy who can line up at the nose or as a 5-tech DE, Dial can hold his ground in the run game and helps to account for the Niners' loss of Isaac Sopoaga and Ricky Jean-Francois.
180. Nick Moody, OLB, Florida State
The starters are set for the 49ers, and while Moody isn't likely to unseat Patrick Willis or Navarro Bowman he can contribute on special teams if he makes the final 53.
237. B.J. Daniels, QB, South Florida
A name not highly regarded by scouts, Daniels caught coach Jim Harbaugh's eye when he did that thing in that one game against that team. Remember?
246. Carter Bykowski, OT, Iowa State
An athletically limited plugger from Iowa State, Bykowski is looking at an uphill battle to join the Niners.
252. Marcus Cooper, CB, Rutgers
At 6'2, Cooper brings the kind of size you hope for in a corner as well as rolling off a 4.4 40 and a 39.5 inch vert. If he can actually play football, all the better.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I would rate them:

1. Cards - A+
2. Rams - A-
3. 49ers - B-
4. Seahawks - C+

I don't understand Seattle's draft at all. Why would you keep all those late round picks, instead of using them to trade up and get better rated players. I think the Niners could have done even a better job of that themselves too.

Rams had a great draft and even looked a lot like what I thought ours would look like before the draft.

Last edited:

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Cards A
Rams A-
49ers A
Seahawks B

Even though he is now a 9er, I'm pulling for Lattimore big time. I hope he makes it in the NFL and has a successful career. I can't think of a better mentor than Frank Gore for him. That was an awful injury and he would have probably been the top RB in the draft if not for that injury.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
First of all nice job SB Floyd. Very good assessment of the players! I think we had the best draft.

Cards-A
49ers-B
Rams-B
Seahags-C-

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First of all nice job SB Floyd. Very good assessment of the players! I think we had the best draft.

Cards-A
49ers-B
Rams-B
Seahags-C-

Sissy copied and pasted from CBS sports for the assessments.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score

Cards-A
49ers-B
Rams-B
Seahags-C-

Thanks, I did make some cosmetic changes so it would read easy, but I didn't create this huge summation. Just thought everyone would enjoy reading about how much better our competition got also.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thing is that the Seahawks usually get bashed about their picks and yet they seem to work out very well for them.

49ers didn't have a single rookie start for them last year but that doesn't mean they didn't have a good draft then or this year.

I knew Fisher would be a pain in the but because he is very good and our hope is that Bradford is what Shane thinks he is.

I'm very happy with the Cards draft and look forward to seeing which players have an impact this year. Cooper had better start and be instantly very good.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I took the nfl.com grades for each selection and divided by the # of picks. The Cards came out ahead over SF by about a half % point. Posted in another thread.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the Cards had the best draft. But the 9ers filled their big need very efficiently. And then added a lot of depth and competition. They're the team to beat this year. A very talented roster. SEA always drafts weird but it somehow works out. The Rams didn't impress me near as much as I expected, but still drafted well

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Don't know, need a couple of years to find out, before they get on the field we are only going by our unprofessional opinion and those by people who if good enough would be working for a team right now and not on TV without the teams' wealth of scouting and information :)

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
49er fan here, like the picks we made but St. Louis and Arizona had the best drafts in the division imo.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1-49ers
*They added more weapons on offense and pass rushers on defense. That gets you a good rating.

2-Seahawks (because you have to include Percy Harvin)
*Again, upgraded their weapons on offense and improved their depth along the defensive line.

3-Cardinals
*A good draft, but no OT, QB, or CB shows what we really improved. No sexy picks, but we did what we needed to do.

4-Rams
*Traded up for Austin which I questioned and will still question. They failed to really upgrade their RB position as well as their offensive line, though Jones could be good. They ignored their S position (TJ McDonald is questionable) for the most part which was their defense's biggest weakness.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
*A good draft, but no OT, QB, or CB shows what we really improved. No sexy picks, but we did what we needed to do.

We used one of our 6th round picks to get Carson Palmer. :)

Reaction score
1-49ers
*They added more weapons on offense and pass rushers on defense. That gets you a good rating.

2-Seahawks (because you have to include Percy Harvin)
*Again, upgraded their weapons on offense and improved their depth along the defensive line.

3-Cardinals

4-Rams
*Traded up for Austin which I questioned and will still question. They failed to really upgrade their RB position as well as their offensive line, though Jones could be good. They ignored their S position (TJ McDonald is questionable) for the most part which was their defense's biggest weakness.

I think Stanton & Hoyer are better than anyone we could of drafted.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We used one of our 6th round picks to get Carson Palmer. :)

Although very obvious I didn't think of this. So yes that ups our draft grade as well.

I gave us an A- on Rugby's poll thread but now have to up it to an A+. No I don't think Carson will be Warner 2.0 but the obvious upgrade from Kolb/Skelton/Hoyer/Lindsey is obvious.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Although very obvious I didn't think of this. So yes that ups our draft grade as well.

I gave us an A- on Rugby's poll thread but now have to up it to an A+. No I don't think Carson will be Warner 2.0 but the obvious upgrade from Kolb/Skelton/Hoyer/Lindsey is obvious.

Plus Carson Palmer was drafted in the first round! :koolaid:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson