Which is Suns best multi-player draft?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to think of the best Suns draft where two or more players were selected in the same draft.

I will allow for a trade within the draft.

Since I am starting, I will nominate Ayton and Bridges in 2018.

There are more good Suns drafts involving more than one player.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Suns drafted Steve Kerr in the second round in the draft they selected Dan Majerle (1988).

They also picked Jayson Williams and Ced Ceballos in 1990 in the only draft in which they selected two All Stars.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
In the 1988, in addition to Majerle and Kerr, they also took Tim Perry and Andrew Lang who ended up being significant pieces in the Barkley trade. Neither of them showed much in their careers but luckily in 91-92 they both had career years (especially Perry who never came close to that year again) which made them look much more valuable than they ended up being.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2008 draft was a pretty good draft if one considers the Suns got both Robin Lopez and Goran Dragic.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the 1988, in addition to Majerle and Kerr, they also took Tim Perry and Andrew Lang who ended up being significant pieces in the Barkley trade. Neither of them showed much in their careers but luckily in 91-92 they both had career years (especially Perry who never came close to that year again) which made them look much more valuable than they ended up being.

If only the Suns had hit on Tim Perry. That could have been a fabulous draft where the Suns nailed 4 picks.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns drafted Steve Kerr in the second round in the draft they selected Dan Majerle (1988).

They also picked Jayson Williams and Ced Ceballos in 1990 in the only draft in which they selected two All Stars.

And Jayson Williams refused to sign with the Suns. Still a great pick.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Ayton and Bridges may well end up as the best, but until then, it has to be Alvan Adams and Ricky Sobers in 1975.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2014 draft with TJ Warren and Bogdan Bogdanović was a good draft especially if Bogdan had not delayed coming over.

Tyler Ennis was not the best selection at #18 though.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we give the Suns credit for drafting George Gervin and John Shumate in 1974 although Gervin never played for the Suns?

I guess if we count Jayson Williams and Bogdan Bogdanović.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The 2014 draft with TJ Warren and Bogdan Bogdanović was a good draft especially if Bogdan had not delayed coming over.

Tyler Ennis was not the best selection at #18 though.

Ennis was one of their worst selections ever, right up there with William Bedford and Kendall Marshall.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Ennis was one of their worst selections ever, right up there with William Bedford and Kendall Marshall.
I’m convinced that the Ennis pick was McDonough trying to get too cute. I fully believe he drafted Ennis to try to fleece Toronto in a trade, but Toronto called his bluff.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I’m convinced that the Ennis pick was McDonough trying to get too cute. I fully believe he drafted Ennis to try to fleece Toronto in a trade, but Toronto called his bluff.

How would drafting Ennis have resulted in fleecing Toronto in a trade?

Raindog

Reaction score
How would drafting Ennis have resulted in fleecing Toronto in a trade?

The rumor was Toronto wanted Ennis with their later pick, so McDonough grabbed him first thinking he could coax Toronto into some kind of trade. But it turned out that Toronto didn't want him all that much after all and we got stuck with a guy we didn't need and who couldn't play.

Nikola Jokic went like 20 picks later and the Suns passed on him twice.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The rumor was Toronto wanted Ennis with their later pick, so McDonough grabbed him first thinking he could coax Toronto into some kind of trade. But it turned out that Toronto didn't want him all that much after all and we got stuck with a guy we didn't need and who couldn't play.

Nikola Jokic went like 20 picks later and the Suns passed on him twice.

This was the prevailing story or rumor that McDonough drafted Ennis ahead of Toronto because the word was they wanted him.

Drafting Ennis drove me a bit crazy because the Suns had drafted almost the same type player in Kendall Marshall in 2012.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Raindog

Reaction score
This was the prevailing story or rumor that McDonough drafted Ennis ahead of Toronto because the word was they wanted him.

Drafting Ennis drove me a bit crazy because the Suns had drafted almost the same type player in Kendall Marshall in 2012.

Of course, they later traded Ennis to reacquire Marshall in what has to rate as the ultimate vortex of irony.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course, they later traded Ennis to reacquire Marshall in what has to rate as the ultimate vortex of irony.

It was ironic.

That was a trade the Suns shouldn't have made and Marshall was the least of their problems.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ennis didn't have Marshall's attitude. IIRC Marshall thought he was much better than he was and that didn't help him at all. Neither Ennis or Marshall stood much of a chance in the NBA. Best case for both of them were to become backups but Marshall didn't have the right mindset to be that and Ennis just lacked overall skills to be that. Sadly I see Jerome following in their path, although he is a much better shooter than either of them. His shot is the only chance he has and at best he might be a Casey Jacobson type of shooter off the bench.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ennis didn't have Marshall's attitude. IIRC Marshall thought he was much better than he was and that didn't help him at all. Neither Ennis or Marshall stood much of a chance in the NBA. Best case for both of them were to become backups but Marshall didn't have the right mindset to be that and Ennis just lacked overall skills to be that. Sadly I see Jerome following in their path, although he is a much better shooter than either of them. His shot is the only chance he has and at best he might be a Casey Jacobson type of shooter off the bench.

I thought of Jerome when we were talking about Marshall and Ennis as well.

Unless Jerome's basketball IQ allows him to figure out a way to get his shot off, it doesn't look good.

He doesn't have a quick release and the defender closes too quickly affecting his shot.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No votes for Chriss and Bender?? You guys disappoint me.

It’s Ayton and Bridges.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm sure there are a bunch of bad draft selections in Suns history but Malcolm Mackey sticks out for some reason. The 1993 draft was not a deep draft although Nick Van Exel was selected in the second round.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mackema01.html

Mackey was bad, but he was a flier at the end of the first round for a team that was stacked. Ennis was taken over Gary Harris and Clint Capela, not to mention Spencer Dinwiddie, Jerami Grant and the aforementioned Nikola Jokic, by a team in need at power forward, center and shooting, which team already had two starting caliber point guards in Bledsoe and Dragic and was about to acquire a third in Thomas.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mackey was bad, but he was a flier at the end of the first round for a team that was stacked. Ennis was taken over Gary Harris and Clint Capela, not to mention Spencer Dinwiddie, Jerami Grant and the aforementioned Nikola Jokic, by a team in need at power forward, center and shooting, which team already had two starting caliber point guards in Bledsoe and Dragic and was about to acquire a third in Thomas.

As already said, it appears McDonough tried to get cute with the pick. He also picked the wrong GM (Masai Ujiri) to outwit.

I don't think McDonough really wanted Tyler Ennis in that draft. It does appear the Raptors had interest in him. See link below.

It should be noted that a lot of teams missed on Dinwiddie, Grant and Jokic as they were second round picks. The 2014 draft really showed the value of second round picks.

To give McDonough some credit, Warren and Bogdanović were good picks.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketbal...fend-surprise-pick-in-bruno-caboclo-1.2689403

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Golfermcr