Where do you rank Charles Barkley?

HellMaryCards

Reaction score
Where do you rank Charles Barkley in the list of greatest Power Forwards of all time? For example is he better than Tim Duncan?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never saw players such as Vern Mikklesen so keeping it to NBA stars from my lifetime, I'd rank the top 10 power forwards in this order: Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Karl Malone, Elvin Hayes, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin McHale, Charles Barkley, Bob Petit, Dennis Rodman and I'd save the 10th spot for Giannis or AD, depending how they play from here on out.

I'd take Charles over Dirk if you just looked at their best years but Dirk was more impactful for a longer run than Barkley. McHale, Garnett and Malone all move above him because they also played defense.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is a tough question for me because I always have trouble ranking players based on their peak or the totallity of their career.

The answer is different for me depending on which way you go.

In terms of peak play I think Barkley is the best. In terms of totallity i would have to rank Tim Duncan first, Karl Malone second, and Dirk or Barkley third.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there’s already an argument for Giannis above Barkley and Malone. He’s got multiple MVPs, taken his team to two ECF, won Defensive Player Of The Year, and the topper... won the Finals and was the dominant MVP of the Finals.

The guy is unstoppable on offense, a good passer and an absolute terror on defense... which I think is the thing that puts him over Malone and Barkley and Dirk.

My list is Duncan, Giannis, Barkley/Dirk, Malone.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m going to be the guy that says Duncan wasn’t a forward.
Malone was a force, the jumper was money but I think Barkley was more clutch.

maybe Duncan, Barkley then Malone Dirk and Giannis. I loved KG’s intensity but Dirk and Giannis are more skilled.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Duncan was primarily a center…

Barkley had an incredible prime but I’ll take the overall commitment to excellence that guys like KG, Malone and Dirk had year round.

From a skill set guys like AD might be the most complete PF but he’s not durable enough. Giannis is also dominant but flawed.

For the last 3-4 years KD is a PF and he’s played at a higher level than all of them.

Old school shoutout to Kevin McHale.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I never saw players such as Vern Mikklesen so keeping it to NBA stars from my lifetime, I'd rank the top 10 power forwards in this order: Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Karl Malone, Elvin Hayes, Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin McHale, Charles Barkley, Bob Petit, Dennis Rodman and I'd save the 10th spot for Giannis or AD, depending how they play from here on out.

I'd take Charles over Dirk if you just looked at their best years but Dirk was more impactful for a longer run than Barkley. McHale, Garnett and Malone all move above him because they also played defense.
Hmm, I think I’d just judge them at their height. Best Barkley verses the best of the rest? Duncan over Barkley and maybe kg, but not a lot of others could just absolutely take over a game like Barkley could. Malone was great, but I wonder where his numbers would’ve been without Stockton spoon feeding him a ton of buckets. Mchale was terrific on both ends but couldn’t dominate a game the way Barkley could.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think there’s already an argument for Giannis above Barkley and Malone. He’s got multiple MVPs, taken his team to two ECF, won Defensive Player Of The Year, and the topper... won the Finals and was the dominant MVP of the Finals.

The guy is unstoppable on offense, a good passer and an absolute terror on defense... which I think is the thing that puts him over Malone and Barkley and Dirk.

My list is Duncan, Giannis, Barkley/Dirk, Malone.
Yeah giannis is likely #2. Would’ve liked to seen him play at a time when there were other great power forwards like the others. He doesn’t have many challengers.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I think I’d just judge them at their height. Best Barkley verses the best of the rest? Duncan over Barkley and maybe kg, but not a lot of others could just absolutely take over a game like Barkley could. Malone was great, but I wonder where his numbers would’ve been without Stockton spoon feeding him a ton of buckets. Mchale was terrific on both ends but couldn’t dominate a game the way Barkley could.

Yeah if you just go each of them at their best, I'd go Duncan and then Barkley.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When Barkley was in his peak he was an absolute monster. From about 88-94 he was absolutely ridiculous.

I am in the camp that doesn't really think Duncan was a forward, I know he was slotted there on the lineup sheet but other than the years he played with Robinson, he was the man in the middle for San Antonio.

I think Giannis has already staked a strong claim to the top spot, at least in my life time. So I'd go Giannis, Barkley, Garnett, Dirk, Malone.

Garnett is the wild card to me, if he hadn't been stuck on the putrid Wolves he may have been one of the greatest of all time at any position.

But if you want to get technical and call Duncan a forward then he is the greatest PF of all-time. Giannis still has some work to do to pass him.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now...

with the emergence of Book, Cp3 signing on, then Nash form 10 years ago...where do we rank them all?

Book and CP3 did the same as Barkley, a western conference champ.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow. Giannis has to be there now, but then you also have to consider McHale, who played better with a team and had more overall success. Then there is LeBron who has played pf more than anything really, and Garnett, Nowitski and more. Tough choice.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also, after the 05 playoffs, I was convinced that Amare was going to go down as an all time great PF. Dude seemed like Vince Carter and Karl Malone had a baby. Between his knees and his inability to grow in the slightest on the defensive side of the ball (and his devolution on the glass)... what a tragedy.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, after the 05 playoffs, I was convinced that Amare was going to go down as an all time great PF. Dude seemed like Vince Carter and Karl Malone had a baby. Between his knees and his inability to grow in the slightest on the defensive side of the ball (and his devolution on the glass)... what a tragedy.
Yeah I put him into the HOF during his rookie preseason after watching him try (and just barely miss) a free throw line slam dunk from a standstill position. A year or so later someone here compared his career potential to Chris Webber and I claimed it would be a huge failure if he ended up no better than Webber. I slowed down on predictions after that one crashed and burned.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
If you rank based on actual height, Barkley was the best ever. He played power forward the best for his height than anyone. Also, he tried to mentor and make his teammates better. Things you actually did not see Malone, Duncan, and others demonstrating on the court like Barkley did. In the playoffs, he had some really monster games when it counted. People forget the monster games he had against some of the best teams ever. Finally, no one had the media presence Barkley had at power forward.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

After the Kareem coin flip, Amare never getting injured is the greatest what if in PHX sports history. I still remember the day they announced him needing micro-fracture from training camp in Tucson. At that point nobody had come close to reaching their previous caliber of play from that procedure.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think Duncan is number one. It's between Barkley and Malone for two and three, I would say.
Was going to say the same thinking! I think Barkley is ahead of Malone be a little, but not much!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the Kareem coin flip, Amare never getting injured is the greatest what if in PHX sports history. I still remember the day they announced him needing micro-fracture from training camp in Tucson. At that point nobody had come close to reaching their previous caliber of play from that procedure.

on offense, Amare was Giannis with a jumper. He was already unstoppable at age 22 and was on his way to becoming one of the greatest offensive power forwards ever.

I wonder about his D. It wasn’t good his first three years but he was still at least trying. That totally went by the wayside post micro. I wonder if he figured he’d save wear and tear by just playing full force on offense and leaving defense behind.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Top 5 PF rankings would be Duncan, Dirk, Malone, Barkley, Giannis.

Giannis is likely to surpass all but Duncan as his continues on. He may even surpass Duncan but I wouldn't bet on that. I think Dirk and Malone might be interchangable with each other. I can see the argument for Giannis over Barkley also, and even Garnett over Giannis but I don't think I could put Garnett ahead of Barkley, which is part of why I ranked it the way to did.

I think #1-3 is definitely Duncan, Dirk, Malone based on their accolades, accomplishments, and longevity. Theyre all so different in their play styles but they all carried their teams during very long stretches to varying levels of success. Too bad Malone decided to be a Laker at the end because if he didn't the top 3 would also have loyalty as a shared trait but Malone tried to ring chase and failed.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but I don't think I could put Garnett ahead of Barkley, which is part of why I ranked it the way to did.

I think #1-3 is definitely Duncan, Dirk, Malone based on their accolades, accomplishments, and longevity.
I found Garnett to be an unlikable person/player for most of his career but even with his occasional behavior problems, I've always been fond of Charles. But the edge for Garnett over Barkley career-wise (to me) is that Kevin was a dominant defender for most of his time and Charles simply wasn't. Barkley was a better offensive player but Kevin ended up with 22 All NBA awards to Barkley's 12 because of the huge difference on D.

Charles does dominate all power forwards in one category though, he kicks butt in the nickname category in both quantity and quality. BR shows the following nicknames for our favorite Chucky Cheese franchise: Sir Charles, The Round Mound of Rebound, The Chuckster, The Chuck Wagon, The Prince of Pizza, The Incredible Bulk, The Leaning Tower of Pizza, Bread Truck, Boy Gorge, Love Boat, Food World, The Crisco Kid, Wide Load from Leeds, Ton of Fun, Goodtime Blimp.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Ok if we knock out all the 7ft pansy PFs that should have been centers and really were for the most part.
Id rate Barkley at #1 if that was the case. You cant teach what Chuck had/has.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok if we knock out all the 7ft pansy PFs that should have been centers and really were for the most part.
Id rate Barkley at #1 if that was the case. You cant teach what Chuck had/has.
I've always struggled to accept the idea that Duncan was a power forward but Garnett clearly was a power forward for most of his career. In fact he played far more minutes at the small forward position the first fifteen years of his career than he did center.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems like there were about 5 years where every summer and trade deadline I would pray that the Phoenix Suns could figure out a way to turn Shawn Marion or Amare Stoudemire + parts into KG. His defense was just incredible and he had a great elbow jumper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave