When to extend Kyler?

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
In your opinion, when do you extend Kyler?

I understand the logic that the longer you wait the more expensive he will be, but I also think avoiding his ginormous payday for as long as humanly possible could also be a wise move for the team.

It seems the new norm is giving guys the gigantic extension after year 3. (See Jared Goff, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, etc)

I feel like the fiscally responsible move is picking up his 5th year option and then signing him to the massive extension at the start of his 6th season. I feel like this route will allow the Cards to actually have a Championship "window". The problem is, if I had to guess Kyler would not be ok with this and it could lead to a Aaron Rodgers/Green Bay situation where trust erodes and he holds out or demands a trade.

If recent history tells us anything, Kyler is getting paid after this upcoming season, which means our "window" is the 2021 season and that's it folks.

Zeem_Freeze

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
this question is truly the crux of our success in the next 1-5 years. you're correct that a lot hinges on what Kyler's camp wants...

my guess is they want to get paid cause who doesn't and Kylers dad has been preparing for this moment since the day Kyler was born

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
In your opinion, when do you extend Kyler?

I understand the logic that the longer you wait the more expensive he will be, but I also think avoiding his ginormous payday for as long as humanly possible could also be a wise move for the team.

It seems the new norm is giving guys the gigantic extension after year 3. (See Jared Goff, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, etc)

I feel like the fiscally responsible move is picking up his 5th year option and then signing him to the massive extension at the start of his 6th season. I feel like this route will allow the Cards to actually have a Championship "window". The problem is, if I had to guess Kyler would not be ok with this and it could lead to a Aaron Rodgers/Green Bay situation where trust erodes and he holds out or demands a trade.

If recent history tells us anything, Kyler is getting paid after this upcoming season, which means our "window" is the 2021 season and that's it folks.
Not sure about the other 2 but goff's extension didn't kick in until after his rookie deal with 5th year option . So he signed it in 2019 but his first year of the 144 mil didn't start until 2021.

Last edited: