When the Cardinals fired Steve Wilks, they fired the wrong guy

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Wronged a guy who just coached the franchise’s worst team in 60 years, it’s worst offense in forever, a defense that couldn’t stop a junior high team, coached it to its WORST home record in 30 years & its worst overall record in 30+ years.

Yeah come back Steve, let’s fire the owner for doing you wrong! Lol jeez

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The logic in his article is quite strange.

Says the DL had the 'likes of so and so'... which is not used when you then say it's a good group. But was implying it needed to be great, but it is never a guarantee you can create a great position group.

Just because they were able to get over the hump with Carolina's defense, doesn't mean Wilks can do it here.

Talked about the first round picks, but somehow had to include Rosen when saying they didn't produce? Well Rosen didn't play well, but he was our QB for about 13 games. The decision for Buccannon to not play or 'produce' was because he didn't fit the defense... but that is lost on Weinfuss who only is charged with covering our team.

Mentioned nothing about horrible game plans, putrid/non-existant adjustements, befuddling game management, and forcing a defense that clearly wasn't working to the point of futility. Does at least mention that the rest of the staff wasn't good enough.

Talks about trying to underpay CC and Matheiu... both were extremely well paid here. Matheiu's situation was about paying him too much, too soon, and then asking for a cut back, which he refused. We still offerred him more than what the Texans paid him. CC wanted to break the bank, and did, for an aging player.

Keim's DUI surely had an impact on the back end of the roster, nevertheless, adding to the roster during training camp doesn't change a team or the overall outcome of it.

Talks about how Rosen was running for his life, but forgot to mention how Wilks called our OL the strength of the team.

Then states Wilks should have been brought back, gotten another season with an ultimatum that if things go bad he'd be fired mid-season.

So even the guy saying we should have kept Wilks, was willing to give him ultimatums and prepared to fire him during next season and acknowledged he had hired inferior coaches around him. If that's your position with everything else happening, just get it over with. There's no point dragging it out another season.

Weinfuss really botched this article. Also he's a low end guy at ESPN who doesn't carry much weight, and can barely speak on camera to save his life. He's not going to lead a mediastorm against us.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
Ridiculous drivel. Both should have gone, but the more incompetent buffoon went because of financial constraints

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I have zero clue why anyone thinks Kiem should be fired? No one team has ever had 100% of their draft picks pan out. Heck I think even the Cards are at a higher percentage of quality picks over the average team.

How soon people forget we where drafting at the end of every round for the past 6 years.

Yes, this year had some bad big deals. Bradford was bad, but he was the best option to be a gap QB.. but that was a miss. The contract was perfect out side of the one year hit.

The OL was bad this year..but Wilk's system was a bunch of run blockers and less pass protection... injuries and bad scheme doomed that group.

I put the horrid D all on Wilk's. He made one of our better players in Buccanon worthless. For a CB coach there was tons on miss communication and poor coverage that is 100% on the scheme.

The one area Kiem is responsible for is the WR room. That group was horrible and full on non-nfl players. I know Wilk's wanted to be a run first team, but this team needed at least quality WR. With the trades of quality WR this year the Cards should have been able to improve that group.

The DUI is a black eye and something that could have been a reason to cut Kiem. But the organization decided to address that and move forward.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So much of this article is bunk. The article seems to emphasize that the transformation process that Wilks wanted to implement in AZ would take time. It alludes to a 4-6 year process in Carolina. Did MB actually sign off on a process that would take that long & leave us as the NFL doormat in year 1. I doubt that.

Weinfuss emphatically states that by firing Wilks after one year, it's obvious that MB & SK were looking for a quick fix. Really! I'm sure that Michael would have been fine with 5-11, 6-10, 7-9. It was the manner in which we were embarrassed that drove the Cardinals to fire him. Look no further than the opener against Washington. Stadium is full of rabid Cardinal fans excited to see a new, fresh version of smash mouth Cardinal football. At least that is what I half expected. Instead, a poor Skins team completely emasculated us from the 1st whistle. By the half, they had 22 first downs to our 2. In all my 55 years of watching this team play, I had NEVER seen that. We weren't even a Division 3 college offense. We could have been a HS team & gotten 2 first downs.

Shame on Weinfuss for writing this garbage. That's all I'll say.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Weinfuss is such garbage as is this article. Wilks was not ready to coach and filled his staff with others who weren't ready to do their jobs either. We can go back and forth about Keim and I agree he should be fired too, but there simply is no reason to believe Wilks would be any better next season. ZERO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson