When missing the game but recording it

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you guys manage not getting the game spoiled on your phone? Is do not disturb mode enough? With that I should still get calls and texts, be able to use maps and not see any notifications unless I swipe down the notification bar I would think? Even text I am tempted to turn off and not see in case people text me about the game.

I'll be camping and am bringing a setup to watch the game but don't know if I will have the data to stream it yet at ten am so could be watching mid day or even in the evening when I find camping spot number two I can just camp where I still have fast data and watch it at night.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you guys manage not getting the game spoiled on your phone? Is do not disturb mode enough? With that I should still get calls and texts, be able to use maps and not see any notifications unless I swipe down the notification bar I would think? Even text I am tempted to turn off and not see in case people text me about the game.

I'll be camping and am bringing a setup to watch the game but don't know if I will have the data to stream it yet at ten am so could be watching mid day or even in the evening when I find camping spot number two I can just camp where I still have fast data and watch it at night.

I do not follow any social media feeds from any teams that I support and I don't search for sports data on my phone so that I don't get spoiled. I also stay away from my computer.

It works pretty good for me since I follow Liverpool but I usually don't watch the game for 4-6 hours after the game is over at times.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s impossible. Hope this helps.

ive done it before by just turning my phone off or using airplane mode but that wont be an option this weekend. Unfortunately, unlike DCR, my google feed knows I like sports but I think DND will shut off the google alerts. I turned off twitter notifcations and have no other social media. So It seems with that done, DND should eliminate all communication of sports scores just in case.

I also set youtube tv to not show sports scores on recording of cardinals games.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If you have an iphone this is easy: Go into your Settings and just turn off the notifications for the apps that would spoil it for you: NFL, ESPN, YahooFantasy, Cardinals, etc.

You have to remember to flip 'em all back on again, but whatevs. It's harder when you're, like out in the world and you have people talking about it. On a camping trip where everyone agrees to be cool, you should be okay.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

I gave up a long time ago trying to block anything that would alert me of the score when I was recording it. So now, when I'm not watching, I look at the score on my phone, listen to the game on the radio, and not worry about it anymore.

I still enjoy rewatching the whole game later to see each play first hand. Makes the game watching less stressful as I know the out come of the game.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have an iphone this is easy: Go into your Settings and just turn off the notifications for the apps that would spoil it for you: NFL, ESPN, YahooFantasy, Cardinals, etc.

You have to remember to flip 'em all back on again, but whatevs. It's harder when you're, like out in the world and you have people talking about it. On a camping trip where everyone agrees to be cool, you should be okay.
Yeah I did that on my Android lol

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gave up a long time ago trying to block anything that would alert me of the score when I was recording it. So now, when I'm not watching, I look at the score on my phone, listen to the game on the radio, and not worry about it anymore.

I still enjoy rewatching the whole game later to see each play first hand. Makes the game watching less stressful as I know the out come of the game.
I'm the opposite. If I already know the score I'll just watch highlights and move on.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully my data works at horsethief basin lake and I can just watch the damn thing live

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS: Androids do not disturb turns everything off. no notifications in your top bar, nothing. its perfect for this. I have now watched two games on delay with zero spoilers.

OP
OP
BigRedRage

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and I did watch the game from on top of mingus mountain in the bed of my truck at night under the stars. It was awesome except for us sucking.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

It's easy for me. My men's softball team is always playing at the times I'm recording the games. I'm on the field or in the dugout. I just don't look at my phone. When I hear others talking about what the scores are, I tell them I'm recording the Arizona game & don't wanna hear the score. As soon as my softball games are over, still don't look at my phone & go straight home to watch the Cardinals. No sports talk radio on the way home either.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
B, that is tortuous brother. It's not a huge issue for me because I'm in eagles country, and if I shut my phone down until I get home I'm 99% safe. If I were a birds fan, I'd be toast. If you walk into a supermarket around here, you're liable to hear someone either complain/boast or give a score out of nowhere. The football team is just too huge in these parts.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I do not follow any social media feeds from any teams that I support and I don't search for sports data on my phone so that I don't get spoiled. I also stay away from my computer.

It works pretty good for me since I follow Liverpool but I usually don't watch the game for 4-6 hours after the game is over at times.

Ahhhh!! DCR, You never walk alone then??!! ;) I only know that because one of my best friends from Bermuda is a MASSIVE Pool fan. Lucky he quit drinking years ago, or he'd be a mess!

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Do you watch L's Shaggy?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh!! DCR, You never walk alone then??!! ;) I only know that because one of my best friends from Bermuda is a MASSIVE Pool fan. Lucky he quit drinking years ago, or he'd be a mess!

I am indeed! Even went to Anfield a few years ago to watch a match, the same year the Cards went to London. Either of my teams scored a single point that trip. Brutal.