What's the deal with our linebackers?

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Vance has developed some of the best LBs playing. I think he got his guys on his time schedule, and the rookie and 2nd year 1st round draft picks have not hit their stride yet, but they will hopefully by the playoffs, he is protecting Collins and Simmons in his 2nd year also. These guys are the qb of our defense and may reach von Miller status before it’s over, I trust Vance, not completely but a lot.

Bill davis has always been a bend don’t break, give up yards but take turnovers coach, he has drive us nuts for years if not decades, but has also been a part of some good overall results.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure, all you have to do is detach the head from the body. ;)

I'd guess that ZAVEN is heavily into film study and they are working hard to match his obvious physical gifts with the ability to read the critical keys. Simmons was at times lost last year and Zaven is going through the same learning curve. Simmons showed flashes and Zaven too. Let's give it time, and meanwhile, find a use for him on ST and a few 'no think' defensive assignments.

I get all that. But they had no problem giving him snaps before. He had 50%+ in game 7.

He's made no obvious mistakes and for what it's worth he has the best PFF grade of all our LBs. He has a 71.7 grade with good run D and coverage grades.

So I don't get why he had 0 snaps for the first time.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I get all that. But they had no problem giving him snaps before. He had 50%+ in game 7.

He's made no obvious mistakes and for what it's worth he has the best PFF grade of all our LBs. He has a 71.7 grade with good run D and coverage grades.

So I don't get why he had 0 snaps for the first time.
He’s made no obvious mistakes to you, a guy who watches football. But the truth is:

A) there’s no way you watch solely him on every play - in fact the cameras may not even catch his full play every play

B) we - including you - have minimal at best knowledge as to what his specific responsibilities are on any given play

C) we don’t see what he might screw up in practice every week

In other words we don’t possess the data to make the statement that he hasn’t made any obvious mistakes. For all we know he may be making glaring errors over and over to the coaching staff.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fun fact. Simmons current PFF grade is 8 point lower than his rookie season grade.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Fun fact. Simmons current PFF grade is 8 point lower than his rookie season grade.
Which matches the tape. The year "learning" did little statistically to prepare him for this year. It will be the same for Collins until Vance/Bill Davis (whichever) is gone. And to be fair, if it is a Vance issue, few coaches are perfect and all coaches/schemes have their issues. If it is a Bill Davis issue, then it is on Kliff/Vance to identify it and send Davis on down the road.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Hell, maybe Vance Joseph has a better idea of what Davis brings to defensive coaching than you.
What about the Cardinals history has made you think it is wise to assume the HC or Coordinators know who the best coaches are?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What about the Cardinals history has made you think it is wise to assume the HC or Coordinators know who the best coaches are?

Their assumptions... your assumptions...

Tough call.

What I know about coaching football is virtually zilch, and hopefully, you're 'wise' enough to 'assume' the same.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Their assumptions... your assumptions...

Tough call.

What I know about coaching football is virtually zilch, and hopefully, you're 'wise' enough to 'assume' the same.
So when are you going to allow fans to have takes on message boards? Seems you just like to poo poo others' opinions. Serially.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
"Opinions" are fine but views masquerading as actual knowledge are farcical.
And you know when someone here is speaking from opinion verses knowledge how exactly? There are quite a few people on this board that have had experience in the league, have connections, have played or coached at various levels. Kinda presumptuous of you.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And you know when someone here is speaking from opinion verses knowledge how exactly? There are quite a few people on this board that have had experience in the league, have connections, have played or coached at various levels. Kinda presumptuous of you.
How exactly?

Not that difficult. The posters with above-average knowledge analyze and avoid presumption.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
How exactly?

Not that difficult. The posters with above-average knowledge analyze and avoid presumption.
You seem to do an awful job of determining who possesses knowledge. And considering the limited access to actual information we, the fans, possess virtually every post here has some level of presumption.

Reactions: TRW