What would you pay Byron Murphy?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How do you rate him? What do you think we should pay him or he will receive in FA?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Not sure what the market is but I'd definitely keep him. He was playing as well as any CB in the league prior to getting injured. He held Davante Adams, Cooper Kupp, DK Metcalf, Justin Jeffferson, DJ Moore, et al, pretty much in check.

I think he and Marco Wilson can be a pretty good starting combo moving forward.

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It's really tough to say without knowing what's really going on with his back. It didn't sound like he needed any type of surgery, so what type of back injury does a young player have that would force him to miss a lot of games?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's really tough to say without knowing what's really going on with his back. It didn't sound like he needed any type of surgery, so what type of back injury does a young player have that would force him to miss a lot of games?

Assume his back is fine and give a number accordingly

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure what the market is but I'd definitely keep him. He was playing as well as any CB in the league prior to getting injured. He held Davante Adams, Cooper Kupp, DK Metcalf, Justin Jeffferson, DJ Moore, et al, pretty much in check.

I think he and Marco Wilson can be a pretty good starting combo moving forward.

Enough to get him to stay

Give a number you would be comfortable with

I'm not sure those guys were kept in check as much as teams gashed us down the middle

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
For reference (RANKED BY AAV):

You must be registered for see images attach

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think the bigger question is, if you had to sign one and tag one between Allen and Murphy who gets what?

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This. You don’t draft a player, watch him grow and get better to just let him walk away.
When you consider the crap pash rush we have all our corners have to be given a little leeway.

Barely anyone wanted Kirk to stay and now we have to sign our draft picks?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Allen all day long.

Murphy is far more easy to replace.
So you sign Allen and tag Murphy? That's my thought on what to do. Not just because Murphy could be easier to replace, but DL can end up costing more with tags.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you sign Allen and tag Murphy? That's my thought on what to do. Not just because Murphy could be easier to replace, but DL can end up costing more with tags.

Tag Murphy at $18.5m? Hell no.

Murphy is an incredibly replaceable guy that's weirdly overrated by fans. The scheme that Vance plays doesn't give up big plays and squeezes the outside guys, but we get gashed in the middle and underneath. So teams attack us in the middle and underneath and those guys that Murphy has been covering don't get much play. It's not Murphy locking guys down.

This is evident in even with Murphy out we still haven't been gashed.

Mike Evans - 63 yards
Drake London - 47 yards
Keenan Allen - 49 yards
Aiyuk - 59 yards

Murphy has given up a 103 passer rating this year. The guys that have replaced him while he was out,

Matthew - 81.8
Hamilton - 82
Whitaker - 102.3

It would be a monumental waste of money to pay him more than $12m.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
4/60.

I think he probably gets more.

I think that's about right. This is the time when you'd like to be having the conversation with the agent, but we don't have real leadership in place right now.

I think the bigger question is, if you had to sign one and tag one between Allen and Murphy who gets what?

Sign Allen and tag Murphy. I think you can try and give Allen Four years, $48 million with $25-30 million guaranteed and feel good about it. He could still get more.

Barely anyone wanted Kirk to stay and now we have to sign our draft picks?
I think a lot of people wanted Kirk to stay. Local kid, productive player; people were just shocked at the number he got. Now he's 19th in AAV among WRs according to over the cap, and he'll be 25th or so by this time next year.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Murphy is an incredibly replaceable guy that's weirdly overrated by fans. The scheme that Vance plays doesn't give up big plays and squeezes the outside guys, but we get gashed in the middle and underneath. So teams attack us in the middle and underneath and those guys that Murphy has been covering don't get much play. It's not Murphy locking guys down.

Murphy has given up a 103 passer rating this year. The guys that have replaced him while he was out,

Matthew - 81.8
Hamilton - 82
Whitaker - 102.3
I'm shocked at how much better Wilson was at the end of the season. He was playing very well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Matthew - 81.8
Hamilton - 82
Whitaker - 102.3
Using passer rating against in coverage for a team that plays so much zone is a fool's errand. You keep having to learn this lesson over and over again.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Using passer rating against in coverage for a team that plays so much zone is a fool's errand. You keep having to learn this lesson over and over again.

Do our other CB's not play in the exact same zone scheme? Are these graders just picking on Murphy?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave