What would have happened?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Kyler had picked up the first down? Would they have tried to get closer for a FG? If they had a pass intercepted, would the fans feel better? A FG, about 42 yards, shouldn't be too hard for a pro kicker, and yet I don't hear our ST coach taking much heat for selecting him out of four candidates. And, naturally, I got a call this morning from a friend (Giant fan) who told me that his HS team won this weekend, when their kicker hit a 45 yd FG.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
After having more time to hear and read what all happened on and after the slide, I think you gotta put this one on KK. He was in Kyler's ear telling him to spike it rather than finding out for sure that he had the 1st down. Once again it is a mis-assumption from an inexperienced coach who constantly is making decisions without all the facts or with mis-information. IF this is exactly the way it went down, then I have had enough with him. He is just too inexperienced to be our coach any longer. I have had patience with him, but it is obvious he is over his head and fails to show that he is making progress in any timely manner. Personally, I would let him go right now to see how the team reacts to someone else at the helm, even if it is a temporary coach. Who knows, we might see a team come out in the first quarter ready to execute their planned and practiced opening plays and schemes.

The only question I have now is do we have anyone on staff to take over for the rest of the season?

By the way, who knows if the whole team, especially Kyler, wouldn't find a huge relief if KK is out of here. You might see them pick up their game a lot. I am sure none of the players can say it, but they might feel KK is a huge stone on their back right now holding them back from succeeding.

Last edited:

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Kyler had picked up the first down? Would they have tried to get closer for a FG? If they had a pass intercepted, would the fans feel better? A FG, about 42 yards, shouldn't be too hard for a pro kicker, and yet I don't hear our ST coach taking much heat for selecting him out of four candidates. And, naturally, I got a call this morning from a friend (Giant fan) who told me that his HS team won this weekend, when their kicker hit a 45 yd FG.
The kicker we had was not really a pro kicker man. Do people still not know this?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You probably have an opportunity to try to get a couple shots into the end zone, at least. Clocking it for 4th down there made zero sense. Just being rattled in an end-game situation again is embarrassing.

Four more years!
We clocked it TWICE on that set of downs. Had the ball at the 34 yard line with 42 seconds left. To not have another play ready to go on 1st down was a criminal waste of time and down.

And the less said about the infamous 3rd down stupidity the better.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After having more time to hear and read what all happened on and after the slide, I think you gotta put this one on KK. He was in Kyler's ear telling him to spike it rather than finding out for sure that he had the 1st down. Once again it is a mis-assumption from an inexperienced coach who constantly is making decisions without all the facts or with mis-information. IF this is exactly the way it went down, then I have had enough with him. He is just too inexperienced to be our coach any longer. I have had patience with him, but it is obvious he is over his head and fails to show that he is making progress in any timely manner. Personally, I would let him go right now to see how the team reacts to someone else at the helm, even if it is a temporary coach. Who knows, we might see a team come out in the first quarter ready to execute their planned and practiced opening plays and schemes.

The only question I have now is do we have anyone on staff to take over for the rest of the season?
Well I blame both. Kyler should have made sure he got the first without question even if that involved getting hit, and both should have know before spiking that it was 1st down.

He isn't getting fired during the year no matter what. We could lose 49-0 every game for the rest of the season and Kingsburry would not be fired. But Vance could easily replace him as an interim.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We clocked it TWICE on that set of downs. Had the ball at the 34 yard line with 42 seconds left. To not have another play ready to go on 1st down was a criminal waste of time and down.

No, that debacle sums up KK's tenure here in AZ and should be the main example of when and why a head coach is let go.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you saying the first wasn't a justified clock?

Cards_Campos

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The kicker we had was not really a pro kicker man. Do people still not know this?
A college kicker or HS kicker. He should have made it. I mean he made 3 fgs prior. Kicking a 43 harder is no different than the 33 yarder. Same trajectory. The distance is easy. So missing left or right us mechanics.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, that debacle sums up KK's tenure here in AZ and should be the main example of when and why a head coach is let go.
No argument here. The end of game clock management has been awful since he came into the league.

There’s just no signs he’s getting better as a coach. And NFL defenses have figured out his offense.

He’s not a terrible coach. He’s not a good coach. He’s completely mediocre. And so is his team. Consistently over the course of a season.

That’s a terrible place to be in any league. It’s purgatory.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A college kicker or HS kicker. He should have made it. I mean he made 3 fgs prior. Kicking a 43 harder is no different than the 33 yarder. Same trajectory. The distance is easy. So missing left or right us mechanics.
In a vacuum maybe. A game winning/tying fg doesn't sound like much, but that mental fortitude is part of what separates most of them, not just physical skill.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying the first wasn't a justified clock?
You’re damn right I am. HAVE A PLAY ready to go. It’s called a HURRY UP OFFENSE. GOOD teams are able to quickly call a play and get another one off there. Especially with 40 seconds left.

Note… that’s not on Kyler. That’s Kliff not prepared to run the most efficient hurry up possible.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
His bad mechanics is why he keeps getting released from so many teams, it's also the reason he makes 2-3 FG's in a row, then misses one he should make. I wanted Blankenship but hey, I'm not in charge, that falls on Keim lol. Blankenship would've made that kick.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re damn right I am. HAVE A PLAY ready to go. It’s called a HURRY UP OFFENSE. GOOD teams are able to quickly call a play and get another one off there. Especially with 40 seconds left.

Note… that’s not on Kyler. That’s Kliff not prepared to run the most efficient hurry up possible.
That's a really tough take. I get why people are mad at the second one. Stopping the clock with 42 seconds gives you plenty of time to come up with a few more plays to run.

Besides, getting plays into Kyler has already been a tough thing to do. Can you imagine if instead of clocking the ball, he let 15 seconds run off of the clock and the ball was incomplete?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
His bad mechanics is why he keeps getting released from so many teams, it's also the reason he makes 2-3 FG's in a row, then misses one he should make. I wanted Blankenship but hey, I'm not in charge, that falls on Keim lol. Blankenship would've made that kick.

You must be registered for see images attach

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
spiking to stop the clock on the first down wasn't an obvious wrong choice -- i would have preferred to run a play.

you had the Philly D reeling and out of gas --- at worst, a quick out where the receiver is either open, or, you fire it over his head and the clock is stopped just like a spike but maybe 5 more secs.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I would not have called a run play on 2nd down. That was the decision to play for a field goal.
actually i didnt mind it -- Murray has run in a few of those

it is another play i want to see an All-22 look on: early in the run he looked like he had room outside but decided to cut inside

curious how much room he had outside --even if he doenst get the first he gets out of bounds.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a really tough take. I get why people are mad at the second one. Stopping the clock with 42 seconds gives you plenty of time to come up with a few more plays to run.

Besides, getting plays into Kyler has already been a tough thing to do. Can you imagine if instead of clocking the ball, he let 15 seconds run off of the clock and the ball was incomplete?
Yes… THAT IS THE PROBLEM. It’s not a tough take if you are a legit NFL Coach and legit Superstar QB who can make that next play like clockwork. The fact that we STILL can’t run an effective hurry up offense is pathetic.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If it was a first down, you clock it. Take a quick hitter pass to sidelines or run it to get closer, clock it on third down and kick game winning FG, easy F’ing breezy

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I blame both. Kyler should have made sure he got the first without question even if that involved getting hit, and both should have know before spiking that it was 1st down.

He isn't getting fired during the year no matter what. We could lose 49-0 every game for the rest of the season and Kingsburry would not be fired. But Vance could easily replace him as an interim.

the one thing I have to say and I agree he should have gotten the first down but people have to remember there isn't an actual yellow line on the field that players can see that's only on tv. So he's in real time running forward trying to set up blocks etc and trying to see can I get out of bounds and get the first down etc. It looks easy on tv to say why did he slide short because we have the yellow line.

My issue is at that point in the game he has to be a little less concerned with taking a big hit and just at worst get the first at best get out of bounds and get the first. My issue is I think he thought I can do both get the first and protect myself and I think at that point in the game protect myself has to be lower although it's easy for me to say that.

now that we know Kliff was telling him to clock it that part IMO is Kliffs' fault. But not getting the first is Kylers

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes… THAT IS THE PROBLEM. It’s not a tough take if you are a legit NFL Coach and legit Superstar QB who can make that next play like clockwork. The fact that we STILL can’t run an effective hurry up offense is pathetic.
You're grasping here. Brady and Rodgers clock the ball all the time to save time. Legit superstar QBs clock the ball too!

urs

All Star
Reaction score
Every week I hear the announcers talk about how we no-huddle more than any other team but man it doesn't feel like it, what's the point of going no huddle if you still sub guys in late and can't run fast at end of games/halves. Kliff is the worst

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're grasping here. Brady and Rodgers clock the ball all the time to save time. Legit superstar QBs clock the ball too!
Sorry… I can only assume you don’t watch other competent teams because good teams/QB don’t clock it with 40 SECONDS LEFT when you have the defense on skates going backwards.

This happens ALL the time. Especially with 40 seconds left on the clock.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose