What We Learned on Day 1

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Ossenfort knows how the game is played. He got the guy he apparently wanted all along and used his leverage to get important extra picks. He is conservative, which is not necessarily a bad thing. He chose the safe pick, but it seems finding out if Murray can play is the primary objective. The previous administration thought Murray could simply run around and avoid the rush; idiotic. They have 2 years before trading Murray is cost prohibitive. They’ll have plenty of time to develop Murray if he’s a player.

We also know these Cards are patient and aren’t easily bluffed. It would have been simple to grab Johnson at 3, but instead they calmly assessed the probable picks behind them. I suspect they had the 6 trade in place before they moved the 3.

They have a vision that involves long term solutions. I expect few gambles in rounds 2 & 3. They may take developmental players, but ones they can develop in 2 years. They know where the players they are taking will play. I expect them to see the field early and often.

Finally they respect history. A few teams have won while ignoring the trenches, but more have succeeded by focusing on the trenches.

The previous front office specialized in trying to plug leaks in the dam. The current group is building an entire new dam.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ossenfort knows how the game is played. He got the guy he apparently wanted all along and used his leverage to get important extra picks. He is conservative, which is not necessarily a bad thing. He chose the safe pick, but it seems finding out if Murray can play is the primary objective. The previous administration thought Murray could simply run around and avoid the rush; idiotic. They have 2 years before trading Murray is cost prohibitive. They’ll have plenty of time to develop Murray if he’s a player.

We also know these Cards are patient and aren’t easily bluffed. It would have been simple to grab Johnson at 3, but instead they calmly assessed the probable picks behind them. I suspect they had the 6 trade in place before they moved the 3.

They have a vision that involves long term solutions. I expect few gambles in rounds 2 & 3. They may take developmental players, but ones they can develop in 2 years. They know where the players they are taking will play. I expect them to see the field early and often.

Finally they respect history. A few teams have won while ignoring the trenches, but more have succeeded by focusing on the trenches.

The previous front office specialized in trying to plug leaks in the dam. The current group is building an entire new dam.
Great post Harry. MO was getting dragged through the mud for the tampering and more piled on with the trade. He showed more moxie on day one than Keim did in 10 years.

I really hope their plan is to fix the offense. Get the best center right now without worrying about having to trade up if things start going south.

I also think they should add a potential big play rb. I like Chase Brown because he’s a little bigger but there are some lightning smaller guys out there.

Tool this offense to remove all excuses for Kyler.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Great post Harry. MO was getting dragged through the mud for the tampering and more piled on with the trade. He showed more moxie on day one than Keim did in 10 years.

I really hope their plan is to fix the offense. Get the best center right now without worrying about having to trade up if things start going south.

I also think they should add a potential big play rb. I like Chase Brown because he’s a little bigger but there are some lightning smaller guys out there.

Tool this offense to remove all excuses for Kyler.
I like Brown, but he’s strictly a backup.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Brown, but he’s strictly a backup.
Absolutely. But he’s fast and can catch. Something this team doesn’t have. Probably available with our 105. He’s big enough to step in for a game or two if Connor gets dinged.

Guys like Spears and Achane doesn’t appear capable carrying the load although they certainly are big plays in a bottle.