What was the general consensus on the forum leading up to the 07’ draft?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Whoa cowboy, Leinart showed to be rather capable of botching any development all by himself... the guy thought and acted like he was still at USC
I feel like I should start with a ”yeehaw”. In 2006 Leinart set the rookie record for passing yardage though he only started 11 games. He passed for 405 yards against the Vikes. I agree the Cards failed to take a stand against his immature lifestyle. You expect rookies may be immature and you plan to handle that. They should have kept his so busy early on that the didn’t have time to lose focus. The Cards did the sane thing with Plummer. Their lack of success can be traced back to the failure to develop QBs.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I feel like I should start with a ”yeehaw”. In 2006 Leinart set the rookie record for passing yardage though he only started 11 games. He passed for 405 yards against the Vikes. I agree the Cards failed to take a stand against his immature lifestyle. You expect rookies may be immature and you plan to handle that. They should have kept his so busy early on that the didn’t have time to lose focus. The Cards did the sane thing with Plummer. Their lack of success can be traced back to the failure to develop QBs.
Yeehaw works Harry haha... naw, Leinart was beyond any kind of help from a few people I know that had relations with the guy once he became a pro. He was a partying self entitled idiot but what gets me was how the Cards were not able to pick up on this. I was overjoyed with the pick not having any access to his personal character but man that guy at that time was a complete ****** with his approach and attitude

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I can tell you there was no red flag on him for off-the-field issues.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
A USC Alum told me Matt asked a question/made some remark in a team meeting and whisenhunt was quick to insult him/knock him down a few rungs publicly. And it was just downhill from there. I’ve never liked the way he was cut and we went with 3 dudes who should have been in the AFL or CFL.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I did. I thought he was the second coming of Barry Sanders, only with more power. I hadn't seen anyone make cuts or have the break away speed off those cuts the way AP did since Barry.
Were you on here posting that? Would love to see cheese telling the future. :)

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I can tell you there was no red flag on him for off-the-field issues.

I’m glad to know it was strictly the Cards just blowing it by reaching on a position of need…. 14 years wasn’t that long ago where players were unfairly judged about their families’ past.

His best year was his Fr season. I remember the hype leading up to the National Championship game vs USC. He was probably the greatest freshman CFB player of all time to that point.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeehaw works Harry haha... naw, Leinart was beyond any kind of help from a few people I know that had relations with the guy once he became a pro. He was a partying self entitled idiot but what gets me was how the Cards were not able to pick up on this. I was overjoyed with the pick not having any access to his personal character but man that guy at that time was a complete ****** with his approach and attitude
IMO, a player's coach might have had more success with him.

Whisenhunt was such an old school guy, and really disliked Matt's approach. It was obvious. I'm close to Leinart's age, got invited to a party or two of his, and **** was at one. I have a family connection to Whisenhunt. In the same way I would have, I think Leinart needed more support than tough love. **** was there, and obviously not loving it.

It's kinda funny, I think Kyler would prefer someone to push him, and Kliff is too soft. Kliff might have been perfect for Leinart.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave