What was the general consensus on the forum leading up to the 07’ draft?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I wasn’t around back then but I’d imagine it wasn’t as bad in real time as it looks in hindsight. You knew the only players gone by 5 would be Calvin and Joe Thomas but it would seem the draft started at #4 when Gaines Adams went to Tampa. Five teams besides us did pass on AD after all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanted AP. Even as someone who routinely bashes the team for signing perpetually injured players/their over reliance on them, AP’s talent was so special and breathtaking that he was worth the risk, especially if the alternative was taking Levi Brown, who I wasn’t crazy about. Would have been fine with Thomas if we took him instead of AP because at least we’d be getting the premiere LT in the draft. But drafting an underachiever at LT instead of what looked like a sure HOFer that would have made our offense near unstoppable to go along with Q and Fitz was a no-brained. Especially after having seen Edge look nothing like his former self, becoming a pure plodder who scared no one on offense.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think most the board thought a selection of AP was imminent. I was an OU homer at the time and was shocked we didn’t take our gift. I remember how the management tried to convince the fan base how smart they were. Looking backward, AP would left the birds at the alter upon his first opportunity to so.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I wanted AP. Even as someone who routinely bashes the team for signing perpetually injured players/their over reliance on them, AP’s talent was so special and breathtaking that he was worth the risk, especially if the alternative was taking Levi Brown, who I wasn’t crazy about. Would have been fine with Thomas if we took him instead of AP because at least we’d be getting the premiere LT in the draft. But drafting an underachiever at LT instead of what looked like a sure HOFer that would have made our offense near unstoppable to go along with Q and Fitz was a no-brained. Especially after having seen Edge look nothing like his former self, becoming a pure plodder who scared no one on offense.
Edge actually was better than a decent back when we got him and I would not say a plodder except to his former self... but yeah, having AP would have been special to say the least

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edge actually was better than a decent back when we got him and I would not say a plodder except to his former self... but yeah, having AP would have been special to say the least

he really wasn’t. he was an average at best back who we rode into the ground. Dude was already running in mud when we signed him, evidenced by his woeful 3.4 ypa in his first season with us before that draft. there’s a reason the Colts let go of him at age 28. And this is coming from someone who was excited to sign Edge, not realizing how much pop he had lost post his ACL tear a couple years earlier.

OP
OP
GatorAZ

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Even people who loved Peterson didn’t expect him to be a top-5 RB all time. I remember his upright running style leading people to think he’d be more susceptible to injuries which he had plenty of in college. If they take him it accelerates the process a year early and probably extends Warner’s career a couple years.

You just can’t take a tackle that high if he doesn’t have great feet. He was born to play guard.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even people who loved Peterson didn’t expect him to be a top-5 RB all time. I remember his upright running style leading people to think he’d be more susceptible to injuries which he had plenty of in college. If they take him it accelerates the process a year early and probably extends Warner’s career a couple years.

You just can’t take a tackle that high if he doesn’t have great feet. He was born to play guard.

I did. I thought he was the second coming of Barry Sanders, only with more power. I hadn't seen anyone make cuts or have the break away speed off those cuts the way AP did since Barry.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The general consensus was "Get an elite player". Instead we took a crappy RT and tried to convince everyone he was good.

If we were going to take a LT no matter what, we would have been way better off reaching for Staley at #5. At least he was a solid starter.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
he really wasn’t. he was an average at best back who we rode into the ground. Dude was already running in mud when we signed him, evidenced by his woeful 3.4 ypa in his first season with us before that draft. there’s a reason the Colts let go of him at age 28. And this is coming from someone who was excited to sign Edge, not realizing how much pop he had lost post his ACL tear a couple years earlier.
Average is a fair observation and I think Connor is about the same. I like me some Edmonds but do not see him staying healthy consistently meaning Eno Benjamin might become more important than we think as a change of pace back... I really liked what little we saw of Ward but I guess the coaches aren't as confident seeing him often in practice but he is the closest comp outside of Connor being a traditional back with some size, this staff loves midgets

Last edited:

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Has this board ever had consensus on anything? I don’t recall who I wanted but I was big on linebackers and online most years

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The previous year they had selected Leinart. His part season was excellent. Protecting him was the primary goal. The board was mostly Peterson. The Cards thought they had a long time starter in Leinart. Sadly I believe they botched his development and it set the franchise back for several years. We used to do a draft day chat, which I mostly hosted. It was always an interesting discussion.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I felt we backed ourselves into a corner, stupidly, forcing us to take a tackle. Even as a Penn State homer, I didn't want Brown in that spot. I was afraid we'd pass on a stud in Peterson for him, and that's just what we did.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
The previous year they had selected Leinart. His part season was excellent. Protecting him was the primary goal. The board was mostly Peterson. The Cards thought they had a long time starter in Leinart. Sadly I believe they botched his development and it set the franchise back for several years. We used to do a draft day chat, which I mostly hosted. It was always an interesting discussion.
Whoa cowboy, Leinart showed to be rather capable of botching any development all by himself... the guy thought and acted like he was still at USC

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Whoa cowboy, Leinart showed to be rather capable of botching any development all by himself... the guy thought and acted like he was still at USC
Because he partied in hot tubs with hot chicks like any other rich young guy?
Wisencunt totally ruined leinerts psychy.... the kid was off the hook as a rookie... played fantastic

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I was all in on AP. I thought we would have had historic drafts back-to-back getting Leinart and Peterson.