What to do at RB in 2020?

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
DJ was supposed to be that #1. DJ is trying to get out of town and his running has declined.

Drake is an FA and has done nothing since 9ers game to bring him back as the starter.

Edmonds is riding the bench (looks like a coach decision) despite being healthy. Edmonds is a decent backup nothing else.

No running game means Murray less effective. In my book, RB becomes more of a need than WR.

So Keim needs to find RB #1 in this draft/FA that fits Kliff's system in addition to #1 LT, #1 RT, #1 WR, #1 TE.

Are there options in the draft and FA that fit Kliff (how is the current corp of RBs declaring for the draft)?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A miracle would have to happen to get DJ off this team. Drake is probably gone. Edmonds is here to stay.
We are probably going to draft a rb.
I nominate D'andre Swift or CEH. Those are two of my favorite running backs in this draft class.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we can keep Drake, I'm happy with Drake, DJ and Edmonds.

If not, a 5th or lower draft pick or FA. It's not too high priority in my mind.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A miracle would have to happen to get DJ off this team. Drake is probably gone. Edmonds is here to stay.
I nominate D'andre Swift or CEH. Those are two of my favorite running backs in this draft class.
We would have to draft Swift in the 2nd round. CEH, still a day 2 pick probably. No thanks.

There’s still going to be solid RBs on Day 3 though.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Plenty of options in the draft and there are some players in FA as well. I think Drake can be kept for 4-5 mil if we want to go that route. We will need to retain Drake or add someone, but I don't believe it will be difficult to do so.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it all depends on money. Drake and DJ both have the ability to be starters. Drake might want a bigger contract than he has earned. If drake takes a journeyman contract, I would be happy to roll with him and edmonds. At the same time, no one is going to trade for DJ and cutting him costs as much as keeping him so I wouldnt be surprised if all 3 are here next year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jonathan Taylor would be a good fit in round 2.
I like Lamical Perine - Florida for a later round guy.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just sunday i was watching Guice from Washington and thinking now he's healthy(and on my fantasy team) he'd be a nice pickup if there were a reasonable trade. My rationale was they get Bryce Love next year so with him and Thompson they probably let AP go and might be willing to move Guice for a late pick. On the next play he gets hit on the knee and is out for the year with an MCL.

I really like him he's a good tough runner who can catch the ball, but ACL rookie year MCL now, sorry.

That's the kind of guy you try to find though picked high(2nd round) value down but if healthy he's a great pickup. Unfortunately he's not healthy.

I like Edmonds but he's a tough fit in this offense because he doesn't seem to catch the ball well.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Jonathan Taylor would be a good fit in round 2.
I like Lamical Perine - Florida for a later round guy.
Dobbins & Taylor's college usage scares the heck out of me.

Swift, Harris, & Etienne, all have much more tread on the tires.

JKD: 800 career carries - over 300 this year
JT: 920 career carries - over 300 this year
TE: 400 career carries. - 195 carries this year
NH: 380 career carries. - 200 this year
DS: 460 career carries - 210 this year

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No higher than 3rd - 4th round. WTH is a CEH?

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
DJ for Leveon straight up. DJ comes off the books after next year, so that could possibly entice them. They're looking to move Bell (28 next yr.) and are talking about a third-fourth round pick for comp.

Otherwise you draft one before the 5th rd. next year, depending if you resign Drake or not.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Dobbins & Taylor's college usage scares the heck out of me.

Swift, Harris, & Etienne, all have much more tread on the tires.

JKD: 800 career carries - over 300 this year
JT: 920 career carries - over 300 this year
TE: 400 career carries. - 195 carries this year
NH: 380 career carries. - 200 this year
DS: 460 career carries - 210 this year
It's a one contract deal. The usage doesn't really matter if you know you will never re-sign him to a long term deal because of the nature of the position he plays. Get immediate production and drive it until the wheels come off.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No higher than 3rd - 4th round. WTH is a CEH?

LSU Clyde Edwards Helaire. Really good

I'll throw in a homer sleeper, Joshua Kelley from UCLA. Transferred from UC Davis to UCLA and has without a doubt the least impressive resume of any RB in the draft. He was a walkon his first year at UC Davis, got a partial scholarship which became a full one. 2 star recruit UC Davis was best offer. They changed coaching staffs so he asked out and was told there were only 2 schools in California he could transfer to, UCLA or USC(because Davis figured he wasn't good enough and would change his mind and not transfer). So he went to UCLA, walked on there sat out the season. UCLA changed coaches and Chip Kelly came in and Joshua Kelley beat out like 6 kids to win the job.

219 pounds, physical runner and faster than you think. Supposed to be draftable last year, stayed in school.

I have no idea how high he goes but one of those guys you pull for has been defying the experts for years now

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
From a FA standpoint Derrick Henry, Jordan Howard, Melvin Gordon, and Matt Brieda are the top UFAs that will be available in 2020 although Breida and Howard seem somewhat injury prone and I don't see Tenn. letting Henry walk so Gordon is the only top tier RB. Ekeler is a RFA so San Diego can always match any offer. After that it's a who's who of rotational guys and backups who don't offer much more than whats already on the roster.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
LSU Clyde Edwards Helaire. Really good

I'll throw in a homer sleeper, Joshua Kelley from UCLA. Transferred from UC Davis to UCLA and has without a doubt the least impressive resume of any RB in the draft. He was a walkon his first year at UC Davis, got a partial scholarship which became a full one. 2 star recruit UC Davis was best offer. They changed coaching staffs so he asked out and was told there were only 2 schools in California he could transfer to, UCLA or USC(because Davis figured he wasn't good enough and would change his mind and not transfer). So he went to UCLA, walked on there sat out the season. UCLA changed coaches and Chip Kelly came in and Joshua Kelley beat out like 6 kids to win the job.

219 pounds, physical runner and faster than you think. Supposed to be draftable last year, stayed in school.

I have no idea how high he goes but one of those guys you pull for has been defying the experts for years now

I was very impressed watching him run roughshod over ASU. Talented back, I agree.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was very impressed watching him run roughshod over ASU. Talented back, I agree.

Yeah when he first arrived at UCLA people were joking about him what the hell is wrong with Mora 2 star transfer from UC Davis. Then when he made the rotation under Chip Kelly people said this is nuts, we have former heavily touted recruit Soso Jamabo still here, Bolu Olurunformi, and a couple of touted freshmen and Kelly is going to play a former walkon? I'm not Chip Kelly fan but he was right, Joshua was the best RB on the roster and made it perfectly clear. I feel quite confident and saying he will be on someone's NFL roster next year he is just one of those guys who seems to see the field differently he finds holes, he runs through contact, he's fast enough to go the distance etc. not saying he'll be a star but he'll be a guy who will be effective running the ball in the NFL if he gets in a situation where he gets to play.

I don't know how he fits us, UCLA really doesn't throw to him because backup Demetric Felton is basically a WR playing RB, but he'll make someones roster IMO.

I actually think Felton might make an NFL roster too eventually he can return kicks and has all the makings of a 3rd down RB, but Kelley is like 35 pounds heavier and a much better runner.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Zach Moss from Utah. Reminds me a bit of Marshawn Lynch. Tough, physical runner.

I almost mentioned him he's not that fast but he has game speed, definitely will play in the NFL.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Even though he put up numbers, I wasn’t all that impressed with Dobbins until this year. He’s really stepped it up.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Even though he put up numbers, I wasn’t all that impressed with Dobbins until this year. He’s really stepped it up.
He's the closest thing to Zeke we have seen in college since he left. That's my quick opinion.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'd take a run at that Jonathan Taylor from WI...and I'd even let Drake walk (I love Drake BTW). I'd just rather continue drafting skill position players and using FA big bucks on the OL and DL.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Depends if Drake is willing to take next to nothing to stay. If he wants more, sorry bro. The team will have to make it work with a late/mid draft pick and whatever DJ and Edmonds can put together.

It has to be our last priority, since we're kinda stuck here and need the money to fill the roster that only has 35 guys on it next season.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
DJ was supposed to be that #1. DJ is trying to get out of town and his running has declined.

Drake is an FA and has done nothing since 9ers game to bring him back as the starter.

Edmonds is riding the bench (looks like a coach decision) despite being healthy. Edmonds is a decent backup nothing else.

No running game means Murray less effective. In my book, RB becomes more of a need than WR.

So Keim needs to find RB #1 in this draft/FA that fits Kliff's system in addition to #1 LT, #1 RT, #1 WR, #1 TE.

Are there options in the draft and FA that fit Kliff (how is the current corp of RBs declaring for the draft)?
I know you post is about RB for 2020 but what about the defense? All the #1's you mentioned sounds amazing but our defense is beyond awful, it has to be fixed. We could get maybe a few of those #1's on offense but we need more #1's on defense imo. #1 CB #1 DT #1 edge rusher (in addition to CJ) a speedy cover #1 ILB & a #1 veteran safety, that can actually cover someone. Our safeties are young & may develop but may not? Same can be said for Isabella & Butler at WR. I'm very interested to see how Butler pans out next season. He has the speed to get by DB's, his height will allow him to go up & get passes, especially on jump balls in the end zone. Lord knows we have trouble scoring in the red zone. Time will tell on him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose