What this team really misses!

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We all moan and groan about all of the talent that has left the SB team. We talk about Dansby leaving, and Boldin leaving and how Levi got switched to left tackle because we did not resign our SB left tackle. Or how the coaching does not seem to fit well with the talent or how this was all Kurt Warner doing us getting to the Super Bowl.

Coaching can make a big difference with many of the same players. Just ask San Francisco. I just dawned on me what is wrong with the offensive side of the ball as much as anything. We lost our innovative OC, which was Haley. He had a good run last year and made the playoffs with what had been a horrid team the last couple of years and albeit started slow this year is playing for the division lead tonight. It was the combination of Warner and Haley that our offense really needs. Apparently, Todd Haley made a difference, a big difference, compared to what we have today. Many of us did not realize how good he truly was and it is no wonder why KC grabbed him as soon as possible.

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%...we need someone like haley....again..I miss the trickery that we had when warner was her..Cassel is doing pretty good.They looked pretty good tonight...

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Question. Why do people want to give Haley so much credit being the Cards offensive coordinator, yet give Whisenhunt little credit for his success while being Pittsburgh's OC?

Haley was running Whiz's offense in Arizona while, with Cowher being a defensvie minded coach, Whiz ran the offense in Pittsburgh. Haley was a good coach but people give him way too much credit and are grasping at straws for him to be the reason why the Cards are struggling.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its not the lack of Haley and its not that Whis suddenly forgot how to run an offense. Its that our team (Whis seemingly above all) has no clue how to evaluate quarterback talent.

That and that Whiz and Co., even when Warner and Haley were here, are really bad at teaching players to correct their mistakes. For 5 years now we have guys making the same boneheaded plays over and over again.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The thing about it is that Haley may have run Whis' offense but Kurt had the 'moxie' to change many plays at the line. Also, I thinK Haley ran his version of whatever Whis' system is as well.

Big Ben really got better after Whis left, at least IMO.

I think last season and this one so far clearly shows how great Kurt Warner was, at least to this franchise. He simply had the tools and the cajones to stand up to Whis and do his own thing. AND Whis hated it but couldn't do a darn thing about it.

OP
OP
L

LarryStalling

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
First of all, Haley was not solely responsible for our success. It was kind of like a perfect storm. We had the right OC, a tremendous qb, surrounded by a plethora of talent. Even Levi at rt played pretty well. Even then our tackles struggled, as many of you will remember, we could not understand why Whiz left our tackles in 1 on 1 protection. Kurt was able to compensate for that which enabled him to burn opposing defenses with quick slants by lb vacating their areas to blitz.

What ever the reason is, the Cardinals have not as a team performed at the level of the Kurt Warner led teams. Part of the problem is inept qb play. Some of it not too smart of players (Dan and Deuce). How u can come to camp not in shape to play is baffling to me.
However, some of the responsibility has to fall on the coaching staff. We see other teams modify plans to best fit talent such as Carolina. If you stop and think about it, isn't this what Haley did? He knew that Kurt was tremendous accurate time wise and location wise. Fitz was not the fastest receiver but outjump almost everyone covering him. Some rookies straight out of college are having more success than Kolb so don't tell me that no camp is the reason why he is faltering. He has been in the league for 5 or six years and knows, or at least should know, what audibles should be used in certain situations or not lock onto receivers like a magnet.

So yes our staff does not do a good job of evaluating talent, but worse yet they don't know how to use it either. It is shameful the product that they put on the field week after week. How then can defend the huge sacks that Kolb takes on a consistent basis is baffling. I can understand giving the tackles the dickens on a three or five step drop sack, but how can they be expected to pass protect 15 yards behind the line of scrimage. The poor offensive game plan that staff puts together and Kolb has been executing will soon lead to empty seats at UoP stadium.

Should the owners fail to address this problem in a timely manner and I don't mean when RG and CKW contracts are up. Scenes reminiscent of crowds at SDS may come to mind. That much damage to the fan base should never be allowed to happen in good consciousness. Mr. B should remember how hard it is to develop good crowds to attend your events after what he went through in Chicago, St. Louis, and most of his tenure in Phoenix. I suppose that maybe I just answered our question of when things are going to change. The poor performance on the field will start hampering ticket sales very soon. When the pocket book is effected, unfortunately, management will finally react.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny, but I was watching the Chiefs/Chargers game last night and I said to my son how good the Chiefs play calling was.

They really don't have anymore skilled players than we do, yet they seem so much more efficient. The only problem I saw was they had more than a few plays coming in late and Cassel was pissed about it. I kind of remember that happening here too....but I'd take it any day over what we have now.

Fitz Rulz

Registered
Reaction score
Solid #2 WR

last game Doucet & Roberts dropped some catches that could have changed teh course of the game. At least could have made our drives longer. We needed to rn the clock more.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Why is Breaston not a Cardinal?

That was just plain dumb not to bring him back.