What The Pats Would Do: Cardinals' Off-Season

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Having watched the Patriots brain trust up close for many years now, I have a pretty solid sense of how they do business---so I thought it might be interesting to apply the current Cardinals' off-season decisions to the Patriots' philosophy.

Parameters:

1. Personnel---layer salaries must be commensurate with the player's current value/production. Release players who are on the decline. Trade or try to extend players in their last year of contract. If cap space is needed get a core player or two to restructure their deals.
2. Offense---predicated on attacking the middle of the field via three waves of receivers. Thus, TEs, slot WRs and good receiving RBs are held at a premium.
3. Defense---add 1 stud FA, a couple of bargain mid-level FAs, and build added depth through the draft.
4. Draft---work the board so that if you can trade down to add extra picks without losing value, you do it.

Here goes:

Personnel:

Release:

DE Darnell Dockett
C Lyle Sendlein
WR Ted Ginn Jr.
OLB Lorenzo Alexander

Extend:

CB Jerraud Powers: 3 years/$12.5M/$5.4M guaranteed
DE Frostee Rucker: 3 years/$6.7M/$2M guranteed

Trade:

QB Drew Stanton to Buffalo for a 2015 5th round pick.

Restructure (if necessary):

DE Calais Campbell---convert $5M of his 2015 Base Salary ($9M) to guaranteed money (signing bonus).

Own FAs:

NT Dan Williams---will get more than willing to pay---gone.
TE Rob Housler---not good enough---gone.
DE Tommy Kelly---re-sign to 2 year/$4M/$1.5M g contract.
CB Antonio Cromartie---will be overpaid somewhere, but not here---gone.

2015 FA Acquisitions: (2 High Profile---in Bold)

OC Stefen Wisniewski (OAK)---becomes the captain of the interior.
OG Joe Reitz (IND)---good sized, aggressive guard who can also play tackle.
RB Roy Helu (WAS)---instant fit as all-purpose RB.
TE Charles Clay (MIA)---excellent in red zone, can block as H-back TE
WR/KR Eddie Royal (SD)---solid slot WR with RAC ability
QB Ryan Mallett (HOU)---becomes the new #2
NT Pat Sims (OAK)---good, space-eating NT, for half of what Dan Williams will make.
LB Akeem Ayers (NE)---has speed and blitzing ability from inside and outside.
CB Kareem Jackson (HOU)---top, young FA CB.

2015 NFL Draft:

Trade: The #24 pick to Colts for the #29 pick and their 4th round pick #125.

1. Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota. Becomes the feature TE and immediate threat over the middle, in the flats and up the seams.

2. Hau'oli Kikaha, OLB, Washington. Can develop into the Rob Ninkovich of the defense.

3. Rob Havenstein, T, Wisconsin. Big mauler for right side.

4. Lorenzo Mauldin, OLB/ILB, Louisville. Versatile LB a very good fit.

4. (from Colts) Ali Marpet, C/G, Hobart. Small college player with big potential.

5. (from Bills) Chris Harper, WR/KR, California. Makes first defenders regularly miss on RACs.

5. Tyler Varga, RB, Yale. STs ace, highly versatile RB/FB.

6. Damarious Randall, FS, Arizona St. Over the top FS in sub packages.

7. Deshazor Everrett, CB, Texas A&M. Aggressive, physical CB who needs to play a little more disciplined.

7 (comp). Kyle Emanuel, OLB, North Dakota St. Leader from a great program. Sleeper pick.

Last edited:

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nice Job Mitch. I assume because the Fitz deal is done you didn't address it but I doubt the Pats would do that deal.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1. Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota. Becomes the feature TE and immediate threat over the middle, in the flats and up the seams.

After taking a TE in Round 2 last year I would be reluctant to take another TE in Round 1, I would rather take a pass rusher or CB as you can never have enough of them. Rest of your plan is pretty good.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

After taking a TE in Round 2 last year I would be reluctant to take another TE in Round 1, I would rather take a pass rusher or CB as you can never have enough of them. Rest of your plan is pretty good.

I was doing what the Pats would do. They would not have drafted TE Troy Niklas and they would try to add the best receiving TE possible.

The Cardinals don't value the TE as a receiver the way the Pats do, thus it would be a surprise if Maxx Williams ever even enters the discussion at #24.

I am not necessarily saying the Pats way is the best or only way. I was having fun trying to assess what moves they would make if they were running the Cardinals' off-season business.

What occurs to me is that Fitz can actually play the Gronk role with the Cardinals.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
They have a QB whos in the conversation for greatest of all time

absolutely nothing the Pats do, translates to what the Cards, or any other team, should do

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I like it Mitch. Just the first round TE not sure about with Troy last year.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Nice effort WM. I was thinking that there could be a trade down scenario once again this year because we have big needs in many areas again. 1st Rd. is usually the best place to do it.

Marpet is making himself some $$ today at the combine. I'd like to get Varga too. Rocky Blier type of back. Maulden there would be a great get too.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I like it Mitch. Just the first round TE not sure about with Troy last year.

Beerz and Everyone who likes this mock:

If you could switch out TE Williams for someone else---who would you pick?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Beerz and Everyone who likes this mock:

If you could switch out TE Williams for someone else---who would you pick?

If we're talking #29 in your scenario, best pass rusher available, CB or OL (I'll use WalterFootball.com's projections):

OLB Nate Orchard (Bit early but love his pass rush skills)
CB PJ Williams
C Cameron Erving
LB Bernardrick McKinney
DL Arik Armstead

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
MITCH,

If Cards go after a TE, I'd like it to be Jean Sifrin from UMASS... You have to have seen him play a bit, what are your thoughts?

He reminds me of a young Jermichael Finley...

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
MITCH,

If Cards go after a TE, I'd like it to be Jean Sifrin from UMASS... You have to have seen him play a bit, what are your thoughts?

He reminds me of a young Jermichael Finley...

I like your analogy. Sifrin is a big target at 6-6, 250...he's got good TE speed...gets off press coverage pretty well...inconsistent hands. Will make spectacular catch one play and drop an easy one the next. Surprised he came out early---he could have upped his draft stock with a big senior year in Mark Whipple's pass happy, big play offense.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You can't compare. When they have the best QB of all time, nothing else translates. They can be very weak in every other area, it won't matter.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
So who would our ILB's be?

SILB: Minter; Mauldin; Demens
WILB: Ayers; Foote; Carson

With Ayers and Mauldin---they have the kind of LB versatility that the Pats' like. They can play some outside too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose