What Say You? Official 2012 Offseason Signing Reactions/Predictions

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's always fun to go back and see whether our initial predictions were right, so why not have a thread where we can either pat ourselves on the back or eat crow?

Goran - at 7.5 million per year, I'm fine with the signing.

Prediction - he'll average 17 and 7 as a starter, and be worth his contract.

Gordon - bad signing, way overpaid for his talent. My only hope is that NO matches. He may put up decent numbers, but at a max contract, you have to make your team significantly better. He just doesn't have the talent to do that.

Prediction - with the Suns or with the Hornets, he'll average 20, 6 and 5 and miss at least 10 games due to injury.

Beasley - at 6 million over 3 years, I see him as a low risk/high reward option.

Prediction - he'll average 18 and 8 as a starter. Sure he's not a great defender, and I'd like to see him be more aggressive on the offensive end, but that's why he's available for 6 million dollars. I think he's worth the risk.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Goran, I'm okay with. Always liked him, thought the bad rap he got in his last season was in large part due to the disaster 2nd unit he was stuck playing with.

Gordon- A monumental step towards mediocrity. A big time gamble on a guy who isnt worth a max when healthy... and is never healthy. If he cant get healthy AND find an extra gear then this signing is terrible.

Beasley- Complete waste of 18 million. Couldnt be given away when on the last year of his rookie deal and we give him 3 years at 6 mil per year. Immediately becomes an immovable contract on a bad player that no one else showed any interest in. Will spend the last 2 years of his contract as a fringe rotation player as people question how we can get rid of him. Josh Childress V.2.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Gordon -- High risk, high reward, although the risk is greater than the reward. I'm okay with it because I think he's a top-50 player when healthy, and since most teams have two max players, as long as your max guys are in the top 50, you're not doing too badly.

Beasley -- I see him sort of like Hakim Warrick but with greater upside. Warrick has been a disappointment, but his contract hasn't really hurt the Suns that much, and he has played well in stretches. The worst-case scenario is that Beasley gets into enough trouble to play himself completely off the team, but maybe the new CBA has some morality provisions worked in?

Dragic -- I hate this signing. His whole game is based on whether he's getting to the rim and making threes. Whether he gets to the rim depends on whether the defense can remember that he only goes left. Whether he makes threes is just the luck of the draw, but at 36% he doesn't shoot them consistently enough to be a useful weapon. He's never improved his ball handling and gets completely overwhelmed if double-teamed or confronted with a longer defender. I just see him as having far too many fundamental weaknesses to be even an average-level starting PG, but the Suns are paying him to be more than that. (Edit: At the revised contract figure of $30M/4yrs, he'll be decent value if he does make it to average level, so that makes this signing a little easier to stomach.)

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Huh? The Timberwolves could have traded Beasley to LA at the deadline but they declined.

The Wolves were desperately shopping Beasley and found no takers. They didnt even extend him a qualifying offer. He was on the market, no one wanted him. They talked with the Lakers but never got anything done.

Broseph

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gordon -- High risk, high reward, although the risk is greater than the reward. I'm okay with it because I think he's a top-50 player when healthy, and since most teams have two max players, as long as your max guys are in the top 50, you're not doing too badly.

Beasley -- I see him sort of like Hakim Warrick but with greater upside. Warrick has been a disappointment, but his contract hasn't really hurt the Suns that much, and he has played well in stretches. The worst-case scenario is that Beasley gets into enough trouble to play himself completely off the team, but maybe the new CBA has some morality provisions worked in?

Dragic -- I hate this signing. His whole game is based on whether he's getting to the rim and making threes. Whether he gets to the rim depends on whether the defense can remember that he only goes left. Whether he makes threes is just the luck of the draw, but at 36% he doesn't shoot them consistently enough to be a useful weapon. He's never improved his ball handling and gets completely overwhelmed if double-teamed or confronted with a longer defender. I just see him as having far too many fundamental weaknesses to be even an average-level starting PG, but the Suns are paying him to be more than that.

Agree with you except I like the Dragic signing. I think if he's handed the reigns of PG he may excel. I may be wishful thinking, but I am being an optimist for a change (which is rare as an AZ sports fan). If we are bad, at least we are young and bad, and not old and bad.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder if the Suns worked a conduct clause into Beasley's contract.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Dragic -- I hate this signing. His whole game is based on whether he's getting to the rim and making threes. Whether he gets to the rim depends on whether the defense can remember that he only goes left. Whether he makes threes is just the luck of the draw, but at 36% he doesn't shoot them consistently enough to be a useful weapon. He's never improved his ball handling and gets completely overwhelmed if double-teamed or confronted with a longer defender. I just see him as having far too many fundamental weaknesses to be even an average-level starting PG, but the Suns are paying him to be more than that.

No morality provisions but there is a stretch provision where you can waive a player and stretch out their remaining salary over twice the remaining length + 1 year.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Too bad we didn't keep Steve Nash and bring in Ray Allen or Jamal Crawford.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Wolves were desperately shopping Beasley and found no takers. They didnt even extend him a qualifying offer. He was on the market, no one wanted him. They talked with the Lakers but never got anything done.

The qualifying offer was $8.1 million, more than his open market value.

"Michael Beasley, an unrestricted free agent after the Timberwolves chose not to extend him a qualifying offer, is being courted by several teams, including the Bobcats, Grizzlies, Lakers, Mavericks, Suns, and Pistons." (Alex Kennedy) Sounds like there was interest to me.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The qualifying offer was $8.1 million, more than his open market value.

"Michael Beasley, an unrestricted free agent after the Timberwolves chose not to extend him a qualifying offer, is being courted by several teams, including the Bobcats, Grizzlies, Lakers, Mavericks, Suns, and Pistons." (Alex Kennedy) Sounds like there was interest to me.

How many of them actually visited him? Who made him an offer? The only team I heard in either instance was us.

And, once again, in the final year of his rookie deal the T-Wolves desperately shopped him while on a smaller rate than we JUST signed him to, and found no takers. His contract is a joke.

And ignoring all that... the dude freaking sucks at NBA basketball.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many of them actually visited him? Who made him an offer? The only team I heard in either instance was us.

And, once again, in the final year of his rookie deal the T-Wolves desperately shopped him while on a smaller rate than we JUST signed him to, and found no takers. His contract is a joke.

That opinion is 100% ok with me. What bothers me is you ignoring the facts and throwing out inaccurate or misleading information because of your perception of the player. The Suns made Beasley a priority in free agency by meeting with him on the first day and getting him to commit a few days later.

Maybe Beasley does suck. Maybe this will be the stupidest decision the Suns, or any team in basketball has ever made. However, people did have interest in him. That much we know.

Last edited:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

If a player that averages 20 ppg sucks then I want a sucky team then lol. We signed him to a pretty short contract and the price is somewhat reasonable. If he doesn't work out its not that big of a deal

This is similar to your Kolb obsession all over again man. Its quite sad really

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dragic. Love the signing. He is finally producing consistently. He will thrive out from under the shadow of Nash. Love the fact that this mgmt team is willing to admit their mistake and not let it hinder future decisions. I do think it is bad news for Marshall. He probably needs to be traded.

Gordon. High risk/high reward. His injury history makes this contract a bad one. His play makes it ok. If he can stay healthy I am ok with it. I assume our med staff gave good counsel.

Beasley. Meh. $6 mil a year for three is not going to sink us. He is extremely talented.

I assume a s&t with NO is in order. Curious to see what we send. My tendency would be to say "no" to the s&t and have Mayo ready to go as plan b. Mayo would fit nicely with what we have right now.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If a player that averages 20 ppg sucks then I want a sucky team then lol. We signed him to a pretty short contract and the price is somewhat reasonable. If he doesn't work out its not that big of a deal

This is similar to your Kolb obsession all over again man. Its quite sad really

Yeah, I was way off about Kolb, he turned out gang busters...

And yes, you can average 20 and suck. Most players could put up the points Beasley does if they gobbled up the amount of possessions he does. He is a very inefficient scorer... and scoring is his only "strength". He blows at all other aspects.

OP
OP
ASUCHRIS

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
My tendency would be to say "no" to the s&t and have Mayo ready to go as plan b. Mayo would fit nicely with what we have right now.

Agree with this, and the rest of your assessment. If we can get Mayo for 7 per or less, I'd be very happy with the additions of Dragic/Beasley/Mayo. Not world beaters, but we'd also have the flexibility to still add talent.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Beasley- Meh,not a ridiculous contract by any stretch. IMO he isn't being pegged as a major piece of the what the final picture will look like in a couple years. In the meantime he'll score some points here. This roster is going to need that scoring until we can acquire a stud PF in the future.

Dragic/Gordon- I really like the potential of this young and exciting backcourt tandem. Gordon will score consistently and Dragic is no slouch either. Athletic,fast,aggressive...and our perimeter defense just got alot better with the addition of Dragic and the subtraction of Nash. Gordon must stay healthy though...the Suns fantastic training staff will be earning their pay yet again.

I expect Dragic to give us 17 ppg 8 apg 4 rebounds, nearly 2 steals and good defense.

Gordon could avg 25 ppg 3 apg 3 rebounds and a steal....and excite the crowd regularly with his high flying dunks.

The picks- Whats not to like? Nash is gone and we got some return for him. Assets that may or may not pay off down the road. Flexability to possibly use these picks to pair with one of our own to substantially move up in next years draft...or later on.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just have to wonder if a deal for DHoward is completely impossible. We would have to convince him to extend

Gortat, Marshall, Dudley, plus 3 first rounders (our and two Lakers). Just an idea.

Howard, Lopez
Morris, Frye
Beasley, Warrick
Gordon, Redd
Dragic, Telfair

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dragic. Love the signing. He is finally producing consistently. He will thrive out from under the shadow of Nash. Love the fact that this mgmt team is willing to admit their mistake and not let it hinder future decisions. I do think it is bad news for Marshall. He probably needs to be traded.

Gordon. High risk/high reward. His injury history makes this contract a bad one. His play makes it ok. If he can stay healthy I am ok with it. I assume our med staff gave good counsel.

Beasley. Meh. $6 mil a year for three is not going to sink us. He is extremely talented.

I assume a s&t with NO is in order. Curious to see what we send. My tendency would be to say "no" to the s&t and have Mayo ready to go as plan b. Mayo would fit nicely with what we have right now.

I'm hoping NO matches the gordon signing, so we can have Mayo too. cheaper, no major injury history. his f/t and 3pt shooting % are a little low though for a SG. but if he's half as cheap as Gordon, im fine with that.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I have a problem with more than each individual signing is the overall philosophy. I guess I've allowed everybody here to convince me that we needed to bottom out in order to build a contender. I finally accept that philosophy and so many of you are now perfectly okay with eating up all the precious salary cap space with overpaid, mediocre players who will keep us from top-five draft picks.

This front office has no direction. They just threw away all flexibility with three guys who will not have positive value at the end of next season.

Joe

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Can someone tell me were to buy all these magical cristal balls that everyone has that can see into the future and how bad the Suns are going to suck???

Thanks,
D

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
What I have a problem with more than each individual signing is the overall philosophy. I guess I've allowed everybody here to convince me that we needed to bottom out in order to build a contender. I finally accept that philosophy and so many of you are now perfectly okay with eating up all the precious salary cap space with overpaid, mediocre players who will keep us from top-five draft picks.

This front office has no direction. They just threw away all flexibility with three guys who will not have positive value at the end of next season.

Joe

I agree, I only like the Beasley signing because he has more than enough talent to overachieve on his contract and is only 23.

Dragic and Gordon is just stupid. They are comitting way too much money into a starting backcourt that doesn't even have an allstar quality player while our frontcourt is pathetic.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave