What Murray Could Learn from Warner

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

nice find very cool stuff. the one with Mayfield at the goalline is remarkable to watch after hearing Warner explain it because in the end there are 2 guys wide open, the WR on the left, and Kareem Hunt out of the backfield, but Baker is fixated on his TE in the slot(think it's the TE) going to the corner so by the time he sees the WR wide open he's off balance and throws it over his head. If all you see is the throw you think bad throw bad mechanics but it's really exactly what Warner said he didn't read the defense he made up his mind where he was going and literally that guy running his route created a natural pick that gave the WR aTD if Baker makes the throw, but Baker missed all that waiting for the corner route to open.

Interesting stuff and if you're Cleveland you're more concerned because Baker played MUCH more in college than Kyler did and he's in year 3 in the NFL, he's GOT to be seeing that stuff better by now .

WisconsinCard and daves like this.
  2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Wow I had to google it. Mayfield threw over 1500 passes in college, Kyler just over 500 so 3 times as many attempts. Baker was almost a 4 year starter he played 8 games as a freshman and was close to 300 attempts that year too.

So they played in the same system same coach in College but Baker was MUCH more experienced and has an extra year in the NFL. Baker has improved this year no question but it's pretty enlightening what Warner is talking about, and the first example is Wentz who has played a ton himself and at a very high level. He takes a play where the underneath guy is open for 6 yards, doesn't throw it, then the TE behind him opens wide up for 15 or more, doesn't throw it and finally throws to the underneath guy and the LB tips it away. If you just see the result you think great play by the LB but the whole play is Wentz not reading the LB and missing the first option wide open and then the 2nd option opens wide up too.

NO wonder Kurt was so good

WisconsinCard likes this.
  3. kerouac9

kerouac9 #Stiff4Kliff

On the other hand, though, Baker is on his third or fourth OC and didn’t have a real training camp with this staff.

Russ Smith likes this.
  4. Harry

Harry ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer

I would be against calling in dead people. However, Warner has a Cardinal connection and I’m a big believer in organizational legacies. As to your issues, first, there is no QB coach. Second this isn’t one issue, it’s half the job. At 49 years of age, Warner fits the profile of numerous coaches. Some of Vince’s videos still have merit like the one on Lombardi time. I guess using available expertise to attack problems is how I spend my life. You do get points for quoting Charlie Brown.

CharlieEvans, WisconsinCard and daves like this.