What makes a movie fail?

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
This is has been a question that's been on mind for some time. The more I learn, if only on the surface, about all the effort that goes into a film production I'm left wondering:

1. How bad movies get made
2. How to determine what went wrong.

Sometimes it's obvious, but many times I find myself asking "was it the editing? acting? direction?"

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A story not worth telling.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
I don't know. That didn't apply to Avatar.

You work in editing don't you Chap? How do you save a movie in editing? I read how Star Wars stank to high heaven in it's first iteration, and Marcia Lucas "saved it in editing". How does that work?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You work in editing don't you Chap? How do you save a movie in editing? I read how Star Wars stank to high heaven in it's first iteration, and Marcia Lucas "saved it in editing". How does that work?
The simple answer is that editing can help a bad actor look good. You can cut around bad line delivery, which is essentially the number one aspect of bad acting. That was definitely an issue with Star Wars, with Mark Hammill especially.

You can also dictate pacing. If the pacing is tight, then the viewer subconsciously doesn’t have the time to think about how bad the movie is. Star Wars also has this going for it.

Granted these are simplistic answers to a question that deserves a more technical answer, but that’s a couple ways to help a bad movie.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
The simple answer is that editing can help a bad actor look good. You can cut around bad line delivery, which is essentially the number one aspect of bad acting. That was definitely an issue with Star Wars, with Mark Hammill especially.

You can also dictate pacing. If the pacing is tight, then the viewer subconsciously doesn’t have the time to think about how bad the movie is. Star Wars also has this going for it.

Granted these are simplistic answers to a question that deserves a more technical answer, but that’s a couple ways to help a bad movie.

Simple answers, but good ones! :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Great insight, Chap. Thanks for sharing.

Or...not enough slow-mo?

/J. Woo

Not enough lens flares

/JJ Abrams.

I don't know. That didn't apply to Avatar.

Avatar was a crappy movie made with a new hotness style.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like too many groan moments like the following:

Someone is saved just in the nick of time by sheer coincidence.

Bad guys are cliche.

Good guys are cliche.

The hero is an unrealistic leader - a kid, weak woman, weak man, teenager, etc. who lead rough, rugged bad-ass dudes.

Story doesn't flow - jumps around too much, can be confusing.

Trying to force a character at you without any redeeming qualities.

Terrible dialog. too smarmy of dialog, etc.

When a protagonist is too good looking (like a knight who is never dirty, a woman in a post-apocalyptic world who is strikingly beautiful)

These are off the top of my head.

OP
OP
Cardinals.Ken

Cardinals.Ken

Reaction score
I don't like too many groan moments like the following:

Someone is saved just in the nick of time by sheer coincidence.

Bad guys are cliche.

Good guys are cliche.

The hero is an unrealistic leader - a kid, weak woman, weak man, teenager, etc. who lead rough, rugged bad-ass dudes.

Story doesn't flow - jumps around too much, can be confusing.

Trying to force a character at you without any redeeming qualities.

Terrible dialog. too smarmy of dialog, etc.

When a protagonist is too good looking (like a knight who is never dirty, a woman in a post-apocalyptic world who is strikingly beautiful)

These are off the top of my head.

I think you missed "directed by William Shatner" on your list. :LMAO:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose