What is the Status of our WR Corp?

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by SissyBoyFloyd, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders Super Moderator Contributor

I still think this draft will yield 1 round WR talent in round 2 so my dream is a trade back

Cardsfaninlouky likes this.
  2. CardinalCovfefe

CardinalCovfefe Registered

Ruggs and Isabella ran the same 40 times at the combine. 4.27....but Isabella is listed at 4.31. That 4/100ths of a second is meaningless.

3. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

I don't pay attention to the Pro Bowl popularity contest as a reflection of much; do, however, pay attention to All Pro choices and I note that Mitchell Schwartz (2nd team) was the only 0-line member from the SB finalists.

We have 2 first round selections, a second and a third in our likely starting 5; hardly untalented castoffs and whatever other disparaging points you want to make.

What were PFF ratings for 2019 based on quarter season; first 4 games, second four, etc?

I mildly suspect a steady improvement in their first season together.

Let's add, let's improve, but spare us the hyperbolic bull-crap!

CardNots likes this.
  4. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

So just because they were drafted highly, they're automatically talented? Sure. They're in the bottom third of PFF's rankings, if you want to adhere to PFF as the Bible here.

None of these players are sniffing an All-Pro. I'm disparaging because they're bad.

Cardinals fans have been beaten into such awful lines that the first time they *kinda* play alright, we act like that's been solved. Time to move on to #4 wide receivers.

It's not hyperbolic to say they're all pretty oft-injured, old, cast-offs, or unproven.

5. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

You're the one who leaned on PFF to make your earlier point, and I note that you didn't respond to whether their numbers showed improvement over the course of the season. Understandable, as it would probably undermine your harangue.

Yes, they did come into the League judged as talented and they're still around for reasons that evidently escape you.

6. SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd Evening Home View

Recently some WRs have broken out in their first year. But traditionally WRs broke out in year 3. It just takes that long for most, no matter how talented, to catch on to the pro game and their new teams offensive system and playbook. Kirk should look great this year. I would not give up on our last year rookies yet unless coaches think one is just hopeless. They should all look much better next year, except this epidemic will slow their progress some if not a bunch.

CardinalCovfefe and Solar7 like this.
  7. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I personally hate PFF. I don't like it at all. So if we'd like to throw that out the window, fine with me. I just know people use it very seriously here.

As far as why I didn't respond to season-long improvement, I don't have a PFF subscription, so I can't answer that.

PFF and Football Outsiders both rank us in the bottom third of the league at the end of the season.

I prefer hard numbers, like Kyler Murray being the 5th most hurried QB in the NFL.

Again, however they were judged early on has been ruined by the fact that they're now not whatever the original league consensus was. I'm not even ripping on DJ and Pugh, or Sweezy (a 7th rounder), but this line as a whole is in desperate need of a talent upgrade. It's not like we have small sample sizes on these guys - they've all been in the league for years, outside of whatever we're doing at C.

I'm not sure why this take is something that's riling you up short of just not liking that it's not a positive one.

8. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

I'm with you on improvement, although inclined to believe that any draft additions will impact in seasons to come.

Come September, DJ, Pugh, Cole, Sweezy, Gilbert is the likely lineup and, for one, I'm not hyperventilating over this prospect.

9. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

Agreed. However, Isabella's "football speed" has not translated to the NFL (yet?).

10. Solar7

Solar7 Also Skeptical

I'm fine with seasons to come. Gilbert and Murray aren't long term solutions, neither is Sweezy, and finding the next step on the line is going to be hard work. This isn't about pure fear on the OL, but accepting that defense and OL are our real problems, and hard to address.

GatorAZ likes this.
  11. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

Agreed @Solar7

We need upgrades across the line T, G, and C...not to mention we don't have a long term solution at any of them (jury is still out on DJ).

We also need help at DL and LB (2 new guys are on potentially 1 year deals).

WR is a luxury pick but I am fine with it vs drafting Levi Brown and passing on Adrian Peterson.

Maybe its s a player we aren't even considering/debating right now?

Cardsfaninlouky and CardNots like this.
  12. CardinalCovfefe

CardinalCovfefe Registered

Lol. Like Ruggs has. And he's looking at a transition to NFL football that evvvrrrybody deliberately overlooks because... HE's THEIR FAVE!

Solar7 likes this.
  13. Stout

Stout I gave my cards a victory...

Then you remember wrong. I HATED the Isabella pick, and haven't seen a damn thing to change my mind. We have an elite #1, an awesome aging star that is pretty much a #3 by now, as much as I love him, and a #3 in Isabella. Anyone beyond that is interchangeable with low-level depth WRs on other rosters. Butler has talent but poor operator head space and timing.

We need a top-level WR badly. Whether that's at the top of the draft or not, we'll see, but I don't trust Keim to find one later, so I'd lean towards #8.

Lagerfilled and FB94 like this.
  14. BritCard

BritCard Registered

I'm late to this thread but come on man. You know your stuff.

You don't get a better offensive line with cohesion and familiarity by NOT drafting quality tackles. The best teams in the league have the best O line and those O lines were built through the draft, not overpaying average FA's.

AQ is already gone from last year. Chances are if things stayed as they are Gilbert takes over at RT. That's already 2 changes.

There's also only 1 ball on offense. We have 3 quality WR's, 3 more to develop, two receiving backs, I decent TE1. There's no need to add any more receiving options.

Drafting an OT is "building a juggernaut offense". All those flashy players ain't worth 2 cents if your QB is flat on his ass or running around like a headless chicken.

15. GuernseyCard

GuernseyCard Registered

We are drafting future inputs to the O-line at best in this draft, and I'm fine with that.

I doubt very much that there's a plug-and-play OT in this draft who'll send a healthy Gilbert to the bench.

Cardsfaninlouky and TheCardFan like this.