What is...the official Jeopardy! thread?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possible Spoilers Below !!

WARNING: END SEEMS NEAR FOR 'JEOPARDY' KEN

By MICHAEL STARR

November 29, 2004 --
The rumors that game-show phenom Ken Jennings' re markable run is headed for "Final Jeopardy" are in high gear.

Jennings, who's been on "Jeopardy!" since last June, has amassed over $2.4 million in 72 consecutive victories to become the winningest player in game show history.

It was widely reported last September that Jennings lost in his 75th game — taped in mid-September — after reaching the $2.5 million mark.

Jennings denied the rumors — he had to, by contractual obligation — but Internet chatter is now heating up again that he'll lose sometime this week.

"The count I have and have seen somewhere online puts his last show Wednesday, Dec. 1," wrote a poster to medialine.com, a widely read industry site.

"They have thrown in some more special shows to delay it further . . . [but] it should be Dec. 1."

Another industry insider, posting on that same site, noted some other interesting facets to the way in which show promos have been sent out for this week.

"When producing 'Jeopardy!' promos, they . . . indicated a SPECIAL promo feed on Tuesday for Dec. 1 and 2," wrote "Mr. C."

"To me, that would indicate something's up."

Of course, these rumors have surfaced before, and Jennings just kept on winning.

Jennings' streak has been a boon to the show's ratings which, at one point, were up 30 percent over what the show had averaged before Jennings' arrival.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spoilers are all over the web today.

Should be interesting to see today's show.

BIM

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just watched it. Jenkins went down.

he missed final jeopardy answer Fed X instead of H and r Block.

Oddly I guessed Fed X as the answer as well.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
HeavyB3 said:
Did peole boo him when he lost? I would have.

:wave:
No they gave him and the winner a standing O.

I wouldn't have boo'd the guy.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He lost because the first round was about Seinfeld. Every category. He wasn't able to build up his usual huge lead.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KingofCards said:
He lost because the first round was about Seinfeld. Every category. He wasn't able to build up his usual huge lead.

He still had $10k, not too bad...

The Daily Doubles killed him later in the game.

Personally, I wouldn't be shocked to find out later that he lost on purpose.

The two Daily Double questions seemed like ones he'd know...the German town from WWII...and the name of a style of hat which means "bell" in French...

He was so good with the historical/war questions and word definitions (of all languages).

:shrug:

H & R Block has offered to do his taxes for life.

:notworthy

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
H & R Block has offered to do his taxes for life.

:notworthy

LOL really?

hahah

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Biography special on A&E right now about Jeopardy! and Ken Jennings. :thumbup:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dback Jon said:
Finally! Now someone else can win some money!! :thumbup:

My thoughts exactly! I was tired of seeing that guy win. My sis said this week "I can finally start watching Jeopardy! again!" She couldn't stand him.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Jersey Girl Cards Fan said:
My thoughts exactly! I was tired of seeing that guy win. My sis said this week "I can finally start watching Jeopardy! again!" She couldn't stand him.

Nobody wins that often. Something was wrong. I swear they gave him all the answers.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
'Jeopardy!' to hold 'Super Tournament'

Associated Press
December 29, 2004

LOS ANGELES - If winning more than $2.5 million wasn't enough, "Jeopardy!" whiz Ken Jennings will have a shot at winning an additional $2 million - but the competition will be tougher this time around. advertisement
You must be registered for see images
OAS_AD('BoxAd')
You must be registered for see images

Producers of the game show announced Tuesday a "Super Tournament," which will pit Jennings in a final match against two survivors of a competition between nearly 150 past five-time winners.

Host Alex Trebek called the tournament the "quest for Ken."

"Ever since Ken started his amazing run, people have been speculating on how some of the past 'Jeopardy!' players would do against him," Trebek said in a statement. "We're answering that question."

Jennings, too, was anxious about the challenge.

"I can't wait to see who I'll be up against in the finals," he said.

Jennings earned $2,520,700 after a 74-game winning streak. He was beaten by California real estate agent Nancy Zerg.

The matches will begin airing in February or March, and the finals will air in May, said "Jeopardy!" publicist Jeff Ritter.

The third-place winner will receive $250,000 and the second-place winner, $500,000.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeopardy! host sued in connection with missing horse
Reuters News Service

LOS ANGELES --
A woman has sued Jeopardy! TV quiz show host Alex Trebek in connection with the disappearance of a $100,000 broodmare she delivered to his central California horse breeding farm.

The lawsuit demands that Trebek and Creston Farms return the mare named BeBe Trando, or reimburse the woman, Marion Warner, for her loss plus damages and legal fees.

The suit, filed March 16 in San Luis Obispo Superior Court, says Warner believes "that defendants ... sold, traded, gifted or otherwise disposed of BeBe."

A spokesman for Creston Farms could not be reached for comment.

Warner sent BeBe Trando to Trebek's 700-acre facility in Paso Robles on Jan. 21 to be bred to Trebek's stallion, Iron Cat, court filings say.

On Feb. 24, Creston Farms staff called to tell her the horse would be bred the next day. Then on March 2, the farm's manager informed her the horse had become sick during the night and had to be euthanized.

The suit says she later learned that the veterinarian who had supposedly put down the horse had not euthanized any horses at Creston Farms the day that BeBe Trando was said to have died, or in the previous week.

A horse listed as "BeBe" was euthanized on Feb. 17, but the animal's description did not match that of Warner's horse, the lawsuit says.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
*bump* Ken Jennings to play in a 3 game finale to the current Tournament of Champions next week.

Watching right now. :thumbup: :cool:

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
The level of play and the answers these guys were dealing with was something else. Usually there are some answers/questions that I find amazing that people know, these guys are just off the charts. Each one of them finished with a lot of money, very neck and neck. The next two days should be very interesting.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That guy Brad, the game show host, won the tournament.

Ken Jennings got 2nd and Jon Lovitz was a distant 3rd.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KingofCards said:
That guy Brad, the game show host, won the tournament.

Ken Jennings got 2nd and Jon Lovitz was a distant 3rd.

Brad's combined earnings now make him the biggest game show winner ever, knocking KenJen to #2. Ironic since Ken has a "quiz" board game out (Can you beat Ken? - just saw it at Game Daze), a similar style game show in the works (with Comedy Central, I believe), and a book in the works.

Personally, I think the set up sucked. Ken should have been thrown in the mix with everyone else...not saved for some 3-day finale showdown. :|

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Brad's combined earnings now make him the biggest game show winner ever, knocking KenJen to #2. Ironic since Ken has a "quiz" board game out (Can you beat Ken? - just saw it at Game Daze), a similar style game show in the works (with Comedy Central, I believe), and a book in the works.

Personally, I think the set up sucked. Ken should have been thrown in the mix with everyone else...not saved for some 3-day finale showdown. :|

I don't know who would buy all that Ken Jennings crap. I guess he is just trying to extend his 15 minutes and capitalize as much as possible.

I agree with you, Jerome had to win 5 times to make it to the end. Jennings was guaranteed $250,000 just to show up. Should have been an even playing field for everyone.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Jeopardy!' Ace Loses in Three-Day Tourney
May 25, 2005

Maybe Ken Jennings isn't so tough after all. The "Jeopardy!" brainiac met his match this week, losing a three-day tournament of champions from the game show and a $2 million prize to Brad Rutter of Lancaster, Pa.

Rutter was hardly intimidated by Jennings' 74-game winning streak in the game show last year. He beat Jennings in all three individual games, and his final total of $62,000 easily eclipsed Jennings' $34,599.

Rutter, a former record store clerk, won more than $1 million on "Jeopardy!" in 2002, and whipped several other former champions to earn the right to face Jennings. He is host of his own local quiz show in Pennsylvania.

Knowing he was about to lose, Jennings wrote "Go Brad" as part of his final answer in the game televised Wednesday.

He had more to lose than a game. The defeat could bruise the Utah resident's mystique, especially since he is trying to turn his trivia prowess into a career with his own board game, book and Comedy Central game show in the works.

With categories like Belgian and Asian history, Latin, poets and rocks, viewers watching the final game at home were hard-pressed to keep up.

Second place earned Jennings $500,000, part of the largest single-day payoff in TV game show history. Third-place finisher Jerome Vered earned $250,000.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
They are replaying Ken Jennings run on the early 4:00 daily Jeopardy.

Today was his first day and he almost lost. The final Jeopardy answer was " Marion Jones" and he put "Jones".

Alex gave it to him. It was a judgement call since they are many people name Jones. If he'd missed it he would have lost.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 'Jeopardy' contestants end up tied

Sat Mar 17, 2007

NEW YORK -
All those years of answers and questions, and it's never happened before on "Jeopardy!" What is a three-way tie, Alex?

The three contestants on the venerable game show all finished with $16,000 after each answering the final question correctly in the category, "Women of the 1930s," on Friday's show. They identified Bonnie Parker, of the famed Bonnie and Clyde crime duo, as a woman who, as a waitress, once served one of the men who shot her.

"We've had a lot of crazy things happen on `Jeopardy!' but in 23 years I've never seen anything like this before," host Alex Trebek said.

The show contacted a mathematician who calculated the odds of such a three-way tie happening — one in 25 million.

The three contestants, Jamey Kirby of Gainesville, Fla.; Anders Martinson of Union City, Calif.; and Scott Weiss of Walkersville, Md; were all declared champions and taped a rematch that will air Monday.

:cool: :cool: :cool: