What if Trent Richardson was available at pick #13?

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Would the Cards take him if he is clearly the BPA when we pick at 13? I absolutely love Richardson, but I don't think we can especially if Williams is all set to come back. I was just curious what the rest of you thought. Kiper has Richardson rated in the top 6 players on his big board.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would seriously LMAO if we drafted another RB in the first four rounds.

azsportsfan01

Registered
Reaction score
Then you call all the teams because someone would trade up. You don't take a running back in the first round this year.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's going to be a broken man after LSU gets through with him on Monday night...:D

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trent Richardson = a more consistent, slightly faster Tim Hightower. *shrug* And I'm an Alabama fan. I've seen almost every game he's played in.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not convinced a team would want to take a RB in the first round anymore.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trent Richardson = a more consistent, slightly faster Tim Hightower. *shrug* And I'm an Alabama fan. I've seen almost every game he's played in.

Is that so bad as long as he holds onto the football?

I think the Cardinals should draft the BPA or trade down. I'm not pushing for a RB early in the draft.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Hightower never averaged 6 YPC at Richmond and Richardson is doing it in the SEC. I really don't see the comparison at all, two different body types and Richardson is better in the screen game. They both run hard, though.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I've alway been an Alabama fan too and, even as a freshman, I thought Richardson was better than Ingram. As for the Cards taking him, they'd have to have a deal set up with another team to trade Wells unless reports are bad on the chances of Ryan Williams making a full recovery.

I've completely changed my philosophy on drafting RB's in early round 1 and now think it's a bad decision. They just don't last in the NFL anymore. It's hard to find a top back that isn't battling injuries, or has suffered a serious injury, every year. If you draft an OL, DL, QB, or DB and hit on the pick, you're likely going get 7-12 years out of the player. With a RB, you're lucky to get 5. Plus, it's become more of a passing league and 2 RB league and I just don't see the value in taking one in the upper half of round 1. Then , throw in the fact that most of the top RB's, Jones-Drew, McCoy, Rice, and Foster, weren't 1st rounders places even less emphasis on taking a RB early. I guess the earliest I would take a RB is about pick 25 and below.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We can't afford him with too many other needs. Is he better than Mark INgram, who I remember falling in last year's Draft.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not convinced a team would want to take a RB in the first round anymore.

I sure disagree on that. Not only will he go in round 1 but he will go in the top 20 if not earlier. He has been the best in the SEC by far if not best in the nation. We have one confirmed RB on our team who ended up injured. We had a terrible running game which does not lead to a good passing game. If he is there at #13 I think he is the best player available and I would take him instantly. He comes ready to play and does not need any year or so of experience. He is super strong and fast with more moves than Beenie .
Actually I do not think we will get a shot at him. He is that good.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is pretty simple and easy, you trade back with Cleveland or Cincy. MOve back, acquire draft picks, improve your team overall rather than stacking players at one position.

Now if Alshon Jeffrey or Claiborne are available (which I doubt), then you have a decision to make.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I sure disagree on that. Not only will he go in round 1 but he will go in the top 20 if not earlier. He has been the best in the SEC by far if not best in the nation. We have one confirmed RB on our team who ended up injured. We had a terrible running game which does not lead to a good passing game. If he is there at #13 I think he is the best player available and I would take him instantly. He comes ready to play and does not need any year or so of experience. He is super strong and fast with more moves than Beenie .
Actually I do not think we will get a shot at him. He is that good.

this year stats rushing leaders

1. Maurice Jones-Drew JAC 1606 2. Ray Rice BAL 1364 3. Michael Turner ATL 1340 4. LeSean McCoy PHI 1309 5. Arian Foster HOU 1224
drew jones 2 round pick 60
ray rice 2 round pick 55
michael turner 5 round pick 154
le sean mcCoy 2 round pick 53
arian foster undrafted
the sixth is frank gore 3 round pick 65

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great player but you don't draft a RB that high with Beanie and Williams already there.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've alway been an Alabama fan too and, even as a freshman, I thought Richardson was better than Ingram. As for the Cards taking him, they'd have to have a deal set up with another team to trade Wells unless reports are bad on the chances of Ryan Williams making a full recovery.

I've completely changed my philosophy on drafting RB's in early round 1 and now think it's a bad decision. They just don't last in the NFL anymore. It's hard to find a top back that isn't battling injuries, or has suffered a serious injury, every year. If you draft an OL, DL, QB, or DB and hit on the pick, you're likely going get 7-12 years out of the player. With a RB, you're lucky to get 5. Plus, it's become more of a passing league and 2 RB league and I just don't see the value in taking one in the upper half of round 1. Then , throw in the fact that most of the top RB's, Jones-Drew, McCoy, Rice, and Foster, weren't 1st rounders places even less emphasis on taking a RB early. I guess the earliest I would take a RB is about pick 25 and below.

Physically Richardson IS better than Ingram, on the field not really. Ingram averaged 5.5 YPC over 3 years, Richardson 5.7. They're very similar, Richardson is faster but Ingram IMHO is a better natural runner he sees holes better, he cuts better, and he makes the first man miss more often. Richardson to me is more like McFadden he will have to adjust to not being able to run full speed into a hole on every carry. He runs very hard and will break tackles but he's not all that elusive. Ingram makes more guys miss and gets hit square less often. Ingram is the closest thing to Emmitt Smith I've seen, this year wasn't great for him but largely due to injury he wasn't really 100% most of the season.

Both will be great NFL RB's, I have a feeling assuming Ingram's foot is ok, that he will have the longer career because he doesn't get hit square as often.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great player but you don't draft a RB that high with Beanie and Williams already there.

i kinda agree with this... but, seeing as both of those are incredibly injury prone and one of them is coming off a DEVASTATING injury, when does this team grab another RB? two guys who you don't know if you can depend on at a position that's a war of attrition isn't very smart going into next season.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
i kinda agree with this... but, seeing as both of those are incredibly injury prone and one of them is coming off a DEVASTATING injury, when does this team grab another RB? two guys who you don't know if you can depend on at a position that's a war of attrition isn't very smart going into next season.

I was thinking we need to draft another RB this year myself..... I like Stewart at Stanford......maybe third or fourth round.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Q: What if Trent Richardson was available at pick #13?

A: Then he will go no highter than 14th in the draft.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
okay: how about this similar question:

What if Lamichael James is sitting there in the third round?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the Cards can afford a RB in rd 1 without a pick in rd 2 to address the oline.

Yeah, I love BPA strategy, but the Cards don't work like that with their first pick except for the notable exception of Fitzgerald.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think the Cards can afford a RB in rd 1 without a pick in rd 2 to address the oline.

Yeah, I love BPA strategy, but the Cards don't work like that with their first pick except for the notable exception of Fitzgerald.

Peterson met a need, but was BPA. As were Williams and Beanie who were expected to be off the board by the time the Cards picked.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was thinking we need to draft another RB this year myself..... I like Stewart at Stanford......maybe third or fourth round.

He will probably be there later he's a very tough runner but he had less than 1000 yards in his career and he actually played 5 years had a medical redshirt year in there where he played just enough to be qualified for the RS.

Big strong kid not overly fast.

Tough kid.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson