What if Suns took Tyrese Haliburton?

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
it’s not hindsight when people were BEGGING for the Suns to take him when it came to our spot. That’s called foresight.

He also plays for a terrible team that can afford to give him a lot of minutes. There is no guarantee that he would have had anything close to the same opportunity to make a similar impact with the Suns, at least not this soon.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a fan that may be your philosophy, but guarantee you’d be laughed at if you said that to James Jones.

The Kings had De'Aaron Fox and they drafted Haliburton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And? Are you saying the Kings are such a great organization? They took BPA and where are they today?

I said the Kings drafted BPA when they already had a top point guard.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I said the Kings drafted BPA when they already had a top point guard.
And again I ask “So?” The Kings aren’t the pinnacle of NBA organizations. No need to tout them as being great simply because they took BPA. I do agree they took BPA and we didn’t, but we drafted for need and you can’t act like that is some huge mistake that the Suns made.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20 but we also had Carter, so between him and Payne, I’m thinking the Suns just didn’t see it as big of a need.

And honestly how can anyone not think that big man was a bigger need? I’m sure they thought Smith might be further along, and if that’s the case I can see why they wanted to go with Jalen Smith.
Man by all accounts smith was considered raw and most experts thought he was a reach, even if only a small reach. If the suns thought that they were trying to see something they wanted to see rather than what was. Even most of the posters here knew he was raw reading the draft thread.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, this really is a case of 20-20 hindsight to me. Ten other teams passed on Haliburton, too. And I still think it's too early to call Smith a bust. Injuries and not a lot of available minutes with the Suns depth have really worked against him thus far.
First, I think a lot of posters don’t understand what “20-20 hindsight” means. When a bunch of people call for something before it happens it is literally not 20-20 hindsight.

that said, I also agree it’s too early to write off smith. But early returns - particularly from his brief stint in the G league - aren’t promising.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Fans count for NOTHING. Come on.
But when raindog says our desire for Haliburton was 20-20 hindsight he’s just flat out wrong. Those of us calling for his drafting were right. The suns should have drafted him like we were saying they should.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
As a fan that may be your philosophy, but guarantee you’d be laughed at if you said that to James Jones.
Lol. Okay. I’d be willing to bet the vast majority of the nba drafts BPA over need. Unless you want to draft sam Bowie over Jordan.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
He also plays for a terrible team that can afford to give him a lot of minutes. There is no guarantee that he would have had anything close to the same opportunity to make a similar impact with the Suns, at least not this soon.
That’s true also. But we are seeing that he is, indeed talented, and talent typically rises to the top. Good coaches can recognize it in practice.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And again I ask “So?” The Kings aren’t the pinnacle of NBA organizations. No need to tout them as being great simply because they took BPA. I do agree they took BPA and we didn’t, but we drafted for need and you can’t act like that is some huge mistake that the Suns made.
If Haliburton - the largely acknowledged more talented player - ends up being an nba player and smith - a kid considered somewhat raw project - doesn’t, I’d say that’s a huge mistake.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
What? Come on. That is sometimes the case but not all the time. Why do you think this is simply black and white?
It’s not. Sometimes you’re lucky and they coincide. Sometimes BPA and need are close so it’s not a big deal. But most often need results in a reach.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Hindsight is 20/20 but we also had Carter, so between him and Payne, I’m thinking the Suns just didn’t see it as big of a need.

And honestly how can anyone not think that big man was a bigger need? I’m sure they thought Smith might be further along, and if that’s the case I can see why they wanted to go with Jalen Smith.

This mindset was my fear during the draft. Cam Payne’s bubble performance influencing a top-10 pick.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
People really need to stop using hindsight as a way to defend not taking Halliburton. It’s a totally specious argument considering anyone can go back to the draft page and find scores of posters calling for Halliburton as the pick. That’s not hindsight folks. That’s called foresight.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This mindset was my fear during the draft. Cam Payne’s bubble performance influencing a top-10 pick.
Right? 8 games from a dude who had failed outta the league influencing a top 10 pick should be considered malfeasance. If that was the case.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
People really need to stop using hindsight as a way to defend not taking Halliburton. It’s a totally specious argument considering anyone can go back to the draft page and find scores of posters using foresight to call for Halliburton as the pick.

either that or people need to look up the definition of hindsight.
I honestly don’t think people understand the proper usage of the phrase.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think people understand the proper usage of the phrase.

I’m trying to give the benefit of the doubt that they’re just unable to admit they were wrong as opposed to not knowing what hindsight means.

either way, the argument is still wrong evidenced by people calling for Halliburton at the time. Hell, unless I’m mistaken, I think some people here arguing hindsight were actually hopeful for it to be Halliburton at the time. Could be wrong there though.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We should have taken Halliburton. Ok sure, hard to disagree with that.

But what good is whining about it? Seriously what is everyone’s point? Do you want the 2nd best team in the league or are you still starving fir the days of Sarver destroying this team so much that you have to nitpick everything?

The team will move on. But this isn’t an Abdul-Jabbar coin flip level disaster for the team. Which of course is #2 in the league.

I’d like to know what everyone wants. Seriously. I wish Smith was better at this point. But the team that did take Halliburton will struggle to make the playoffs and we won’t. I’ll still sleep well at night.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

But what good is whining about it? Seriously what is everyone’s point? Do you want the 2nd best team in the league or are you still starving fir the days of Sarver destroying this team so much that you have to nitpick everything?

The team will move on. But this isn’t an Abdul-Jabbar coin flip level disaster for the team. Which of course is #2 in the league.

I’d like to know what everyone wants. Seriously. I wish Smith was better at this point. But the team that did take Halliburton will struggle to make the playoffs and we won’t. I’ll still sleep well at night.
Whining? Someone just raised the concept of what would it be like if the suns had actually drafted him? Simmons commented he thought it would’ve made the suns the favorite (don’t know that I agree with that), so we are discussing the topic. I mean, if you don’t want to hear people bummed about the failure to pick Haliburton, maybe avoid a thread title “what if the suns drafted Haliburton?”:shrug:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lol... you sure about that? You seem a little on the wound up side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson