What if Suns took Tyrese Haliburton?

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vaguely remember discussions about there being something mental about him as well. But I don't remember what it was. Other teams backed off, and the one team that didn't already had a starting point guard for the future. Haliburton isn't even a PGOTF for the Kings.

Yeah, I remember those too. Plus he missed the end of the season for an injury (broken wrist, broken hand?) and his agent refused to provide medical information to most teams. We did the right thing.

He looks great compared to who we selected (so far) but I truly believe that had we selected him we'd still be in search of a starting PG in a year or two. I don't think his ceiling is all that high. IMO his ceiling has him good enough to start but just barely, not the difference maker most contenders are searching for.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I disagree. If you're not even allowed to interview him or work him out, drafting him is just too risky IMO. If they were confident he was going to be a good player and they were comfortable with what they knew about him then maybe take the risk and draft him even with his refusal but that wasn't the case.

There were a lot of questions about how he'd adapt to being guarded by the other team's fastest player (pairing him with Fox works to his advantage in a way that few teams could match). And we weren't the only team to pass on him, the Spurs were also expected to grab him and they passed for the same reason we and other teams did.
I will disagree with your disagreement. It’s not like this was Yi jianlian where teams only got to see video of him attacking a chair. There was plenty of tape on him. And no players were working out for any teams. So all they missed out on was an interview. To my memory there weren’t any rumors of him being a problem child, in fact my recollection was that he was viewed as a leader, so how’s the interview going to make it break him?

as for questions about being guarded by a faster guy, neither book nor Paul are speed demons, so that negative seems pretty paltry in comparison to his pluses.

this was a miss by jones drafting for need. He’s got a lot of hits in his work thus far, but this was a swing and a miss.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I vaguely remember discussions about there being something mental about him as well. But I don't remember what it was. Other teams backed off, and the one team that didn't already had a starting point guard for the future. Haliburton isn't even a PGOTF for the Kings.
Man I don’t recall even a scintilla of anything about his mental makeup. Chap, I think if you’re going to throw something out there like that you should find some supporting article or statement to that effect.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember those too. Plus he missed the end of the season for an injury (broken wrist, broken hand?) and his agent refused to provide medical information to most teams. We did the right thing.

He looks great compared to who we selected (so far) but I truly believe that had we selected him we'd still be in search of a starting PG in a year or two. I don't think his ceiling is all that high. IMO his ceiling has him good enough to start but just barely, not the difference maker most contenders are searching for.
I just did a quick scan of predraft write ups right before the draft and I see nothing about concern with speed players or mental makeup. I see pundits saying he needs to put on weight and needs to work on shot selection potentially. I see comments that he’s a good leader and a terrific defender.

Mainstreet

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I don’t recall even a scintilla of anything about his mental makeup. Chap, I think if you’re going to throw something out there like that you should find some supporting article or statement to that effect.

I don't remember anything about that either. There may have been a question about the release on his shot but Tyrese was an accurate shooter in college.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't remember anything about that either. There may have been a question about the release on his shot but Tyrese was an accurate shooter in college.
Yes definitely concern about his funky release. But it worked. And it’s held up as a pro.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Just because you can't remember doesn't mean it didn't exist. I remember we speculated a lot about it, and if you are calling me a liar, then feel free. I may be wrong, but it was my recollection. I find it interesting that you don't remember the discussions we had on him.

I seem to recall something about red flags during the interview process (since they weren't doing actual workouts).

AzStevenCal

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just because you can't remember doesn't mean it didn't exist. I remember we speculated a lot about it, and if you are calling me a liar, then feel free. I may be wrong, but it was my recollection. I find it interesting that you don't remember the discussions we had on him.

I remember a discussion about it but I don't recall if it was speculation or well-sourced. I also don't remember if it was on this site or not (RGM?).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I remember a discussion about it but I don't recall if it was speculation or well-sourced. I also don't remember if it was on this site or not (RGM?).
I'm in the same boat. We may be 100% wrong, and I wouldn't be surprised if we were, but I don't think it was as simple as a straight pass-up on him.

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t remember any questions about his mental makeup. Concerns about his funky shot/some about his athleticism.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don’t remember any questions about his mental makeup. Concerns about his funky shot/some about his athleticism.
I don't remember much about his athleticism being an issue, I keep falling back on a combination of his agent possibly dealing out ultimatums and his interview.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

I seem to recall something about red flags during the interview process (since they weren't doing actual workouts).
I’m not calling you a liar it just seems in opposite of everything I’ve just gone out and reread presraft about him. Not a single res flag about his mental or emotional makeup. And I REALLY don’t recall discussing it here.

Proximo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It seems to be the in vogue talking point by a few commentators I have heard lately, including Bill Simmons, that the Suns would be their favorites in the Western Conference if they would have taken Tyrese Haliburton in the draft. I know one of the guys on TNT said this, too.

Do you agree with this?

My thinking is that is why would the Suns take Haliburton when they already have Cameron Payne? Remember, Payne had some really good games in the bubble. We still had Ricky Rubio, so it was not like we were hurting at PG. In fact it looked like we were set.

Isn't it kind of disrespect to Cameron Payne that people think Haliburton would give us the edge?

I think anyone that thinks Cam Payne is better than Haliburton have not watched Haliburton. He is easily better, and he has tons more long term potential. Not to mention Cam Payne is not under contract beyond this season, and we could easily lose him in free agency.

Would Haliburton make the team better - Absolutely.

Would he solve our biggest issue of no backup big man - Nope.

Nobody would ever consider the Suns favorites being a small market team with no playoff experience, any suggestion of that is laughable.

Proximo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
According to multiple sources he only wanted to be drafted by the Kings, and his agent informed teams in front of SAC to pass on him, which seemingly led to his fall in the draft.

This is total BS. He would play, otherwise he would not get paid. Even if he was unhappy and said he wanted a trade, after playing his trade value would be significantly higher than STIX.

cheesebeef

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is total BS. He would play, otherwise he would not get paid. Even if he was unhappy and said he wanted a trade, after playing his trade value would be significantly higher than STIX.

agreed.