What I Saw Preseason Game 2

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Cards started on defense and so will I. Gardeck misdiagnosed and overran plays. He was likely overanxious to make plays. This ILB group is very thin. The Cards better hope that against history Hicks & Reddick stay healthy. Vallejo looks like the best of the backups. The DL looks hopeless against the run. The Cards will have to keep Swearinger in the box if they hope to hold offenses under 150 yards a game rushing. That will put tons of pressure on a secondary that would be unlikely to hold up under the best of circumstances.

Speaking of the secondary the loss of Alford kills any hope this unit works. Nichols does not look like an NFL player to me. Brooks looks a step slow. Murphy is still trying to know just where to be. I have no idea why Williams is still in the NFL. The best bet looks to me to be Jones & Brock as the top 2 with Murphy playing the slot. The safeties also look thin. Beyond the starters I don’t see guys that can play. The Cards Like Ford but I don’t see it. He’s very weak in coverage.

The only defensive unit that might work is the OLB. If Holland and Robinson play well this should be a deep group.

Turning to offense, I’m not concerned about Murray’s performance last night. I was glad to see him take more snaps. I’d actually have played him more. I tried to point out in another post that Murray needs to see as many defenses as possible. Some responded preseason defenses are just vanilla. Well did Murray look like he knew how to handle a double A gap blitz? I don’t think he had a clue how fast the NFL guys are. You have to experience it to get it. Think of it this way. Assuming in practice the guys are typically running the new offense, I hope if they blitz him this way he calls an audible or throws to a hot read. Except they weren’t in the formations he’s been running in practice, so did he not know where his hot read was? Did the designated receiver know? The Cards may not have players quick enough to threaten Murray in practice. I thought it was predictable that backed up to the goal line the Raiders would blitz him. I’m not going to ramble on about a rookie starter trying to juggle 2 offenses but I am saying this is one way you get your QB hurt.

Hundley looked good but keep in mind it was against second & third string defenders. However, as I said before I believe he is the correct backup for this offense.

The O-line looked weak again. The interior looked better than the outside. Cole & Shipley didn’t open any holes. Sweezy looked the best but got no help on that side. This was the worst job of blocking I’ve seen by a set of tight ends. There are good blocking tight ends on the street. One should be signed.

Run blocking was so poor it was just like last year for DJ. I know they like Edmonds as a receiver but once again he failed to pick up pass rushers. I don’t see how they can risk using him. He’ll get Murray hurt sooner or later.

Sheffield had the big catch and overall the receivers looked okay. I’m not sold on Wilson but I loved him sticking it to Gruden. This group will be a work in progress. I like the possibilities.

I said it elsewhere but if Keim doesn’t like what he sees he needs a mirror to see the real problem. He wasted money thinking he had a contender last year. Now this staff must pay for it. I said a year ago he should be fired. My opinion hasn’t changed. Forget the idea he can fill all these holes with cut players. What a joke?

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must be getting better at this. I agree with 99% of everything you said.

Raiders were there to put on a show. There is no way they were playing a vanilla offense.

RSJ had two holding penalties and dropped a td pass. When do we kick this guy to the curb?

I know it was against the second string but can you assess LG Voukovic( sp)? He seemed to hold his own this week and last week.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Cards started on defense and so will I. Gardeck misdiagnosed and overran plays. He was likely overanxious to make plays. This ILB group is very thin. The Cards better hope that against history Hicks & Reddick stay healthy. Vallejo looks like the best of the backups. The DL looks hopeless against the run. The Cards will have to keep Swearinger in the box if they hope to hold offenses under 150 yards a game rushing. That will put tons of pressure on a secondary that would be unlikely to hold up under the best of circumstances.

Speaking of the secondary the loss of Alford kills any hope this unit works. Nichols does not look like an NFL player to me. Brooks looks a step slow. Murphy is still trying to know just where to be. I have no idea why Williams is still in the NFL. The best bet looks to me to be Jones & Brock as the top 2 with Murphy playing the slot. The safeties also look thin. Beyond the starters I don’t see guys that can play. The Cards Like Ford but I don’t see it. He’s very weak in coverage.

The only defensive unit that might work is the OLB. If Holland and Robinson play well this should be a deep group.

Turning to offense, I’m not concerned about Murray’s performance last night. I was glad to see him take more snaps. I’d actually have played him more. I tried to point out in another post that Murray needs to see as many defenses as possible. Some responded preseason defenses are just vanilla. Well did Murray look like he knew how to handle a double A gap blitz? I don’t think he had a clue how fast the NFL guys are. You have to experience it to get it. Think of it this way. Assuming in practice the guys are typically running the new offense, I hope if they blitz him this way he calls an audible or throws to a hot read. Except they weren’t in the formations he’s been running in practice, so did he not know where his hot read was? Did the designated receiver know? The Cards may not have players quick enough to threaten Murray in practice. I thought it was predictable that backed up to the goal line the Raiders would blitz him. I’m not going to ramble on about a rookie starter trying to juggle 2 offenses but I am saying this is one way you get your QB hurt.

Hundley looked good but keep in mind it was against second & third string defenders. However, as I said before I believe he is the correct backup for this offense.

The O-line looked weak again. The interior looked better than the outside. Cole & Shipley didn’t open any holes. Sweezy looked the best but got no help on that side. This was the worst job of blocking I’ve seen by a set of tight ends. There are good blocking tight ends on the street. One should be signed.

Run blocking was so poor it was just like last year for DJ. I know they like Edmonds as a receiver but once again he failed to pick up pass rushers. I don’t see how they can risk using him. He’ll get Murray hurt sooner or later.

Sheffield had the big catch and overall the receivers looked okay. I’m not sold on Wilson but I loved him sticking it to Gruden. This group will be a work in progress. I like the possibilities.

I said it elsewhere but if Keim doesn’t like what he sees he needs a mirror to see the real problem. He wasted money thinking he had a contender last year. Now this staff must pay for it. I said a year ago he should be fired. My opinion hasn’t changed. Forget the idea he can fill all these holes with cut players. What a joke?
Well said brother. As I said in another thread, SK probably doesn't wanna step on the toes of VJ & let him do his job, however, if he sees there's a problem on defense..................? Get it fixed, speak up in coaches meetings, the little things like gap control & pad level, personnel............well, that's another problem & he created 99% of it with his signings.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Let's see what K2 does with KM against Zimmerman & his exotic blitz packages next week. Guaranteed his cooking up a few welcome to NFL plays for them.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If they continue down the same path they are on now this will be as ugly as last season.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is it in a nutshell. So many bad drafts by Stevie, have led to no depth/band aid starters. There may be a few gems in this draft but too little too late for near future success.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I know it was against the second string but can you assess LG Voukovic( sp)? He seemed to hold his own this week and last week.
Jeremy Vujnovich started all 16 games for Indy 2 years ago. He did play LT some of the time in college and was mainly viewed as running game blocker. He had an excellent and his 35 bench reps still put him in the top tier. He was moved to guard because of concerns about his footwork, which typically means a problem with speed rushers and blitz adjustment. His school was Louisiana College, so maybe he can be coach up some. He’s worth a look. He can at least help at guard if healthy.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Raiders were there to put on a show. There is no way they were playing a vanilla offense.

RSJ had two holding penalties and dropped a td pass. When do we kick this guy to the curb?

The Cardinals did this in the past; came into preseason games kicking butts because they treated it like a regular game.

The Raiders clearly game planned for the Cardinals.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW
The last team that I saw a team this blitz happy was the Saints against the 49ers in Jim Harbaugh debut.

Typically those preseason games are throwaways, but the Saints’ 24-3 home victory over San Francisco caused a stir because the Saints broke an unwritten preseason rule by dialing up all sorts of blitzes — 18 of them in the first half. Coordinator Gregg Williams’ defense registered six sacks and forced two fumbles.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-xpm-2012-jan-09-la-sp-farmer-nfl-playoffs-20120110-story.html

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cardinals did this in the past; came into preseason games kicking butts because they treated it like a regular game.

The Raiders clearly game planned for the Cardinals.

Ah yes...my team sucked so it was the opponent game planning. C'mon Krang, you are better than that. I get that it ruins the narrative but maybe our college coach who had a losing record in college should use the reps a little more productively?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ah yes...my team sucked so it was the opponent game planning. C'mon Krang, you are better than that. I get that it ruins the narrative but maybe our college coach who had a losing record in college should use the reps a little more productively?

But they did. Am I going to just lie or ignore that the Raiders were sending designed blitzes?

It's a lie or ignorance to state otherwise

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But they did. Am I going to just lie or ignore that the Raiders were sending designed blitzes?

They didn't treat it like a real game they simply worked on things and some blitz packages. Several teams this weekend were ripping of blitzes.

Again, maybe Kliff should be using game reps more productively?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Gruden did us a favor. Kyler has to learn how to beat the blitz from the pocket. He has to.
Now he and k2 are aware there is a problem.
Better to have it happen now rather than week three of the regular season.
We will see lots of blitzing until he shows he can beat it...if he is ever going to be great.....or even very good...he has to eat a defense alive when they blitz him

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Calling blitzes is different from game planning. This isn’t the Pro Bowl; teams can do wheat they want.

The cards game-planned, too! How do you think they knew what plays they were going to call?

There’s nothing new or mysterious about an A-gap blitz.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Calling blitzes is different from game planning. This isn’t the Pro Bowl; teams can do wheat they want.

The cards game-planned, too! How do you think they knew what plays they were going to call?

They were doing more than just A gap blitzes and were blitzing from pretty much everywhere. Like it said a few posts above that much blitzing in preseason is not a normal thing and that very much suggests that the Cards weren’t expecting to see so much of it.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Fair enough.

But the Cardinals literally arent running anything they are going to do in the regular season.

Things dont look good right now, I totally agree. Last year at this time, the consensus among the media was that the Cardinals MIGHT challenge for a playoff spot based on 1) how things looked at practice 2) how the Cardinals looked in the preseason.

I think with the Alford injury and what we've seen so far, there is a lot of negativity right now and rightfully so.

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But the Cardinals literally arent running anything they are going to do in the regular season.

I don't understand this. Is KK teaching them Wilks playbook for preseason and his playbook for the regular season? I'm not saying preseason predicts the regular season, but I think saying the preseason looks bad because they aren't running their real offense is more of an excuse for not executing. If it weren't for a new scheme, new coach and new QB I would believe the idea more that it is just a basic offense that a D can easily disrupt because the key players know the offense well. But this team needs reps more than any other and what is the season long benefit to not revealing your core offense in preseason? Not expecting trick and special plays being wasted so not talking about that.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Fair enough.

Things dont look good right now, I totally agree. Last year at this time, the consensus among the media was that the Cardinals MIGHT challenge for a playoff spot based on 1) how things looked at practice 2) how the Cardinals looked in the preseason.

I think with the Alford injury and what we've seen so far, there is a lot of negativity right now and rightfully so.

And Krang, I think you might need to prepare yourself that things won't look good (offensively) for a while. I think expectations have gotten a little out of hand.

I'm expecting us to get out of the gate (games one through four) fairly slow (and the outpouring of righteous anger by the anti-Murray, anti-Kingsbury crowd will truly be something to behold sir, brace yourself).

By mid-season, the offensive execution should be showing progress. We should be sustaining drives, and generating a big play here and there.

Over the last two or three games of the season, we should be at least league average in terms of scoring points, yardage, 1st downs, etc, and looking more and more dangerous. A step or two away from blowing games open.

Then, in 2020, with a re-tooled offensive line, and maybe a little more skill position help, we start the season much faster, and continue to progress from there.

Arealist

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It will be a very long season!
I know.... it’s just preseason. But come on man... our 1st string defense is awful! The eye test tells all.
This won’t change in 2 weeks. I am forever a Cardinals fan and supporter but have set up my expectations. Or said differently... reset expectations after the hype. At least our new QB and offense should show some excitement as we air it out constantly playing from behind.
All is not lost though, our GM will be fired after the season and we will eventually draft better.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't understand this. Is KK teaching them Wilks playbook for preseason and his playbook for the regular season? I'm not saying preseason predicts the regular season, but I think saying the preseason looks bad because they aren't running their real offense is more of an excuse for not executing. If it weren't for a new scheme, new coach and new QB I would believe the idea more that it is just a basic offense that a D can easily disrupt because the key players know the offense well. But this team needs reps more than any other and what is the season long benefit to not revealing your core offense in preseason? Not expecting trick and special plays being wasted so not talking about that.

The Cardinals had a lot of 22 personnel in the preseason so far. This team is going to very rarely run 22 personnel.

They are running their plays, but not out of personnel groups they are going to run. Its also mostly a no huddle offense....and they were huddling in the preseason games.