What I Expect on Offense

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Harry, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Harry

Harry ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer

Of course, like everyone else, I have no way of knowing exactly what to expect from the new offense. There are, however, a few things that seem fairly certain to me.

People have been criticizing DJ. My thought is this reaction is way too early. Let’s see how things go when he’s transformed into a receiver. Other changes I’ll cover below will also enhance his performance running from scrimmage.

Next expect a change to rapid play, mostly no huddle. Defensive lines will have trouble getting set and the defenses will be hard pressed to make substitutions. The first few games will likely feature quite a bit of defensive confusion. This will make running easier as gaps will go unfilled. Of course this speed will make shutting down the passing game more difficult as well.

I think Cardinal offensive substitutions may be less frequent than people expect. I expect 4 passing targets on virtually every play. DJ’s ability to easily slide into a route will be huge. He could be moved to the slot or even split out. Again this will stress basic defensive alignments and create mismatches. We will even see 5 target packages but maybe not as often as some expect.

There will certainly be RPOs, but I think they’ll look different from college. I expect them to avoid running Murray up the middle. You might see a QB draw but only near the goal line. The RPOs will move Murray outside. This accomplishes 2 things. First it limits Murray’s exposure to injury. This also takes advantage of Murray’s ability to throw on the run.

I’ve been writing about preseason blitz handling and the absence of hot routes. I’ve decided the only way that makes sense is if the formations and plays will contain automatic hot routes. One receiver pattern may include a slant that the QB throws if a blitz comes. I also anticipate wide receiver screens will also be used to control blitzes as well as more typical RB screens. To get DJ outside they may well incorporate swing passes and toss plays to compensate for a less than athletic line and slow the rush. Jet sweeps will become regular events. Of course with Murray’s speed simply rolling him out creates major issues for defenses. The bottom line is the hot routes are probably a part of typical plays and vary by the blitz formation. Likely options will take some time to be smooth but this seamless approach fits well with the desired speed.

Overall I expect to see frequent crossing routes. Multiple receiver sets will likely use at least one deep route which will often be a decoy to spread the field. More often than not I expect short passes and a focus on YAC. The routes will separate the receivers, isolating the defenders. Will it work? I’m not sure but I’m confident it will be fun to watch.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  2. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

What is your estimate for avg points per game scored by Cardinals?

3. CardsSunsDbacks

CardsSunsDbacks ASFN Contributor Contributor

Ultimately what they are running in preseason is indeed part of their offense, but it just isn't dressed anywhere near as much as it will be come week 1. Going no huddle is going to wreak havoc on defenses as they won't be able to substitute and KM will have plenty of time to diagnose what the defense is showing and making the proper adjustments before the snap.

daves and juza76 like this.
  4. football karma

football karma formerly known as En Fuego

one thing i noticed: very little pre snap motion or formation shifting

there is some putting a guy in motion to see if he is followed or not, but they pretty much line up and go

daves likes this.
  5. Timm Rosenbach

Timm Rosenbach Company Man....For Now

21 with 5 wins. If it weren’t for the cornerback situation, I would feel a lot better

6. Cards_Campos

Cards_Campos Registered

This 1000% We havent seen anything close to this in Preaeason.

7. Cards_Campos

Cards_Campos Registered

I say 27 a game at first and then let me see how teams adjust and we adjust to that. I say we win 9 games with 3 Toss up ganes that can make us anywhere between 7-9 or 10 -6. Murray is a rare talent. He has a cannon for an arm. he is quick as a cat. And I say we throw quite a few deep balls mixed with short passes to DJ.
    Talent isnt as important sometimes as scheme is. Boise State use to beat the big dogs with less talent but an incredible scheme.
    The key this year will be the defense. If we can pressure the QB....the secondary wont matter as much. If the QB has all day to the throw we will struggle.

Buckybird and CardsSunsDbacks like this.
  8. Cards_Campos

Cards_Campos Registered

But remember Chandler Jones has led the NFL in sacks last 3 years. Suggs will help. Scheme will have to require good blitzes

9. cardncubfan

cardncubfan H

I'll take the over. I agree about the CB situation.

10. Crimson Warrior

Crimson Warrior Dangerous Murray Zealot

I'm excited too Cards Campos. At first, I was worried that K2 would trot out something really hokie. You know, some kind of weird no-huddle thing that would last about two and half games before it completely crashed and burned, while the whole league laughed at us.

But I'm starting to get the feeling it will be fairly sophisticated, and not too over the top/gimmicky. Also, that we'll enough horsepower to make it go.

Buckybird and Cards_Campos like this.
  11. Cardsfaninlouky

Cardsfaninlouky Registered

This offense is very fun to watch, makes you feel like you're never out of a game, no matter the score. When Hal Mumme ran this offense at Kentucky in the 90's, he believed in setting up the run with the pass, total opposite of what most all football teams do. He had back to back 1000 yd rushers also (Anthony White) by spreading defenses out, it creates rushing lanes. Another thing it does, keeps more DB's in the game to cover all the WR's, forcing a tackling mismatch for a DB against a bigger RB.

12. BigRedArk

BigRedArk Registered User

How many WR's will the Cards keep? Besides Fitz and Kirk who else makes the final roster?

13. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

Good analysis Harry!

Personally I think the Cards are making a huge mistake if they start Crabtree over KeeSean Johnson.

14. Buckybird

Buckybird Hoist the Lombardi Trophy

I better be 7 because our TEs scare nobody & wont be much factors in the passing game anyway

Fitz
    Kirk
    Johnson
    Crabtree
    Isabella
    Byrd
    Sherfield or Cooper

BigRedArk likes this.
  15. Harry

Harry ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer

This looks right to me. I think Cooper is the odd man out but he’s been better at WR than expected and will play for someone.