What Do You Hate Most About The Cardinals Right Now?

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The club was, for a brief while, mashing people and now it has reverted back to getting manhandled. 2013 through Week 15 of the 2015 season was, for the most part, a damn good run. But something happened in that Week 16 loss to Seattle, and the Cards haven't been able to rediscover their mojo, consistently, since. I hate the fact that it appears for brief flashes, it's a tease. And the head coach, who once seemed so very competent, now seems powerless to stop the slide. All of his shrewdness has morphed in to stubbornness. I hate sliding back in to mediocrity.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
I agree, but Bettcher was most probably trying to prevent Dak from running and passing all over the place...and it backfired anyway. I am not condoning the decision, but Dak scored on a read option and on an easy sprint out to his right on the play he passed to Butler over Bethel for a TD--- both versus man coverage.

Of course, Battcher switched to zone and this time Dak flushes to his right wide open because Chandler Jones ran backwards into the flat and no one else had contain and then Dak hits Butler deep up the sideline in the gray area between the under zone and the FS, who was Mathieu of all safeties.

The only way the Cardinals have a chance in zones is if Reddick and Dansby are sharp in the hook zones. They are the key. On one key 3rd down conversion versus the Cardinals' zone from Dak to Williams, for some inexplicable reason Dansby went opposite of where Williams was going (an easy drag route over the middle) and left Williams wide open. Dansby was headed away from his hook zone, with no other Cowboy in sight.

The other thing is, if you are going to play zones, you have to have cover 2 safeties who can take care of their deep halfs and intermediates...but Steve Keim still hasn't signed a legit FS. So, again, to resort to softly played zones was a real mistake.

I call bull$hit. They drafted a true FS (Baker) in the 2nd round this year, yet refuse to give him snaps or play him in his best position. Not to mention the constant, inane comparisons to Mathieu. He's more Earl Thomas than Badger IMHO.

Instead, they have a DE/OLB playing ILB, a FS playing SS, a SS playing FS, and coming soon a SS playing ILB. We are FUBAR'd!

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I call bull$hit. They drafted a true FS (Baker) in the 2nd round this year, yet refuse to give him snaps or play him in his best position. Not to mention the constant, inane comparisons to Mathieu. He's more Earl Thomas than Badger IMHO.

Instead, they have a DE/OLB playing ILB, a FS playing SS, a SS playing FS, and coming soon a SS playing ILB. We are FUBAR'd!
100% agree!!!

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

I hope you are correct...but I am not sure that Budda Baker is a true FS. He's a lot like Honey Badger...plays his best football in the box and at slot CB. In Baker do you see a fast rangy centerfielder?

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hate the fact that the Cards have the same problems from the past two years and havent fixed them: no dominant WR to replace Floyd, poor special teams play, no QBOTF. Poor drafting and lack of talent in FA has also been awful.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Agreed 100%.

Could have a potential safety tandem of Budda Baker, and Deone Bucanon, and we do not. Cannot understand how one pot smoking waste of a linebacker single handedly turned this team on its ear.

Draft a damn ILBer.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I hate the fact that the Cards have the same problems from the past two years and havent fixed them: no dominant WR to replace Floyd, poor special teams play, no QBOTF. Poor drafting and lack of talent in FA has also been awful.

Those are outcome oriented. I'm. Ore disturbed that we're still bad in the red zone and on third down. What were we working on all offseason?

Agreed 100%.

Could have a potential safety tandem of Budda Baker, and Deone Bucanon, and we do not. Cannot understand how one pot smoking waste of a linebacker single handedly turned this team on its ear.

Draft a damn ILBer.

I don't think Deone Bucannon is a good strong safety. There's little evidence to support that.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I don't think Deone Bucannon is a good strong safety. There's little evidence to support that.

I guess. There is not much evidence that he is not either to be fair. He has played that ridiculous $LB position his whole career. Total assumption on my part he would be better there, I admit that.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
The thing I hate the most is that we don't feel like we're trying. Say what you will about, say, the Browns, but you can tell they're trying to win, and that they're just so bad that they just can't help but lose. We have the talent and tools required to be at least a 9-7 team, and we have no excuse to look so bad so early. We aren't trying to win, we aren't trying to put up points, we just aren't trying. At the end of the day, we'll still draft some D-III nobody or some alleged 'diamond in the rough' player just because Brown and Matthieu worked. This team has no right to be as bad as they are. Utterly pathetic.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm with Bert. You lose your difference-maker in the clutch (D.J.) AND your starting LG in the opening game! GOOD GRIEF!! Over-all, it's pretty obvious we're not at the level we need to be at to seriously compete...it is what it is. I can't fix it so I'll just try not to let it sour me for the next few months. Lord knows, the Cardinals have given me a ton of emotional grief over the past 50 years.
So, their not being good isn't exactly surprising to me.

But, beat the 49ers Sunday and there's still some hope. D.J. and T.J. (who I also think is a game-changer will be back mid-season, hopefully)

Have a GREAT day everyone!

Mark in extra sunny S.C.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
OOOPPS! Starting LT...NOT LG! See, even I SUCK and make giant-size mistakes! LOL

Mark in SC :)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Those are outcome oriented. I'm. Ore disturbed that we're still bad in the red zone and on third down. What were we working on all offseason?

My big frustration with Deone Bucannon, and how he is used schematically is that it doesn't make sense with the concept behind our defense.

If you view Bucannon as a S/LB hybrid, and you have a defense that is "positionless", why do you use your hybrid player like an ILB only. I have the same arguments for Chandler Jones and Haason Reddick. The reason is because Bettcher is clueless, but outside of that, Bucannon as a base SS makes a ton of sense. It bulks up your D and only sacrifices a bit in coverage. When you move to sub packages, you can drop Bucannon down to the LB role, and it gives you options to sub in unique personnel packages. Moving Jones inside, moving Reddick to the edge, and it allows you to take unnecessary hits off of Mathieu in the base.

My base defense probably looks like this...

DE-Peters (Mauro stinks)
NT-Rodney Gunter
DE-Nkemdiche (Rucker is better as a pass rush sub IMO)
OLB-C Jones
OLB-M Golden
ILB-Dansby
ILB-Reddick
CB-P Peterson
CB-J Bethel
SS-Bucannon
FS-T Branch

Nickel Defense

DE-H Reddick
DT-F Rucker
DT-C Jones
DE-M Golden
LB-K Dansby
LB-Bucannon
CB-P Peterson
CB-J Bethel
CB-Mathieu
SS-Baker
FS-Branch

Dime Defense

You can always sub out Bucannon for Bethea if you want

Disclaimer-we haven't seen Bucannon, Reddick, and Dansby healthy at the same time, so this may be in the works, but I am not holding my breath

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would trade Bucannnon tbh. He’s probably perceived around the league as a 2nd rounder even though he’s probably perceived lower here.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would trade Bucannnon tbh. He’s probably perceived around the league as a 2nd rounder even though he’s probably perceived lower here.

We picked up his 8 mil option...no team is giving up a 2nd round pick for him and backed into 8 mil. We would be lucky to get a 5th or 6th round pick for him. His position does not carry huge value, and his contract is soon to be up. The smart play is for the Cardinals to extend him and figure out a better way to use him on defense to shore up a roster spot.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We picked up his 8 mil option...no team is giving up a 2nd round pick for him and backed into 8 mil. We would be lucky to get a 5th or 6th round pick for him. His position does not carry huge value, and his contract is soon to be up. The smart play is for the Cardinals to extend him and figure out a better way to use him on defense to shore up a roster spot.
Fair point.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I hate that one of the most dynamic defenders in football two years ago is now a liability to our defense. (Honey Badger)

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The politicized NFL has just lost my interest. I would rather take a nap. I watch sports to get away from all that mess.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Right before the long Dak to Butler TD pass, the camera panned to the huddle and you could see Prescott going through a whole list of instructions, with his eye-lids blinking a mile-a-minute. I thought to myself at the time: "He's going to dial up something big."

Anyone else notice this?

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
haha I was just trying not to go full on doomsday just yet. There's technically still hope lol.

Technically, the Second Law of Thermodynamics (entropy increases) is NOT a law, it is a statistical prediction.
If I drop my coffee cup, it is not a physical law that that cup will not spring back up into 1 piece in my hand, but the probability (technically, a chance) of that actually physically happening is, like a bajillion, gazillion (very technical numerical terms there) to 1.

So for us, technically, there is hope. But the odds are about the same, a bajillion, gazillion to 1.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ST's aren't why we're losing. Injuries and lack of backup depth & talent are what's killing us.

What poor ST play is doing is eliminate the safety net that can keep us in tight games and help us win our share of the close ones.

I'm guessing that there's so much focus on getting backup players ready that we're ignoring STs - to our detriment.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What do I hate most about the Cardinals?

Hmmmm.......

I think fairweather fans.

Our guys are hurting and need our support. Bucannon out. Humphries out. DJohnson out. Smoke out. Iupati out. Gresham has been out. Boone is out. Nelson is tweaked. Wetzel may be out. Down in the first three weeks. Are we going to abandon them?

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My big frustration with Deone Bucannon, and how he is used schematically is that it doesn't make sense with the concept behind our defense.

If you view Bucannon as a S/LB hybrid, and you have a defense that is "positionless", why do you use your hybrid player like an ILB only. I have the same arguments for Chandler Jones and Haason Reddick. The reason is because Bettcher is clueless, but outside of that, Bucannon as a base SS makes a ton of sense. It bulks up your D and only sacrifices a bit in coverage. When you move to sub packages, you can drop Bucannon down to the LB role, and it gives you options to sub in unique personnel packages. Moving Jones inside, moving Reddick to the edge, and it allows you to take unnecessary hits off of Mathieu in the base.

My base defense probably looks like this...

Thank you sir! I can't play the scheme game, but I watch our defense and the personnel are not in the best position given their strengths and weaknesses.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Technically, the Second Law of Thermodynamics (entropy increases) is NOT a law, it is a statistical prediction.
If I drop my coffee cup, it is not a physical law that that cup will not spring back up into 1 piece in my hand, but the probability (technically, a chance) of that actually physically happening is, like a bajillion, gazillion (very technical numerical terms there) to 1.

So for us, technically, there is hope. But the odds are about the same, a bajillion, gazillion to 1.
You must be registered for see images attach

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have no problem with the coaching, the actual coaching with the positions because I believe like most teams they are top notch (though Amos is another story). I do not have a problem for the most part with the play calling as a whole. I hate what seems to be a total lack of accountability for screwing up which is resulting in players not playing responsibly. For instance, Dak going playground and scrambling should result in a interception and not a TD if this team is playing responsible but there will be no resulting action taken against Bethel. Honey Badger eyeing the line of scrimmage and then having to trail his man when he should have been covering as the play developed will result in no action against him. Veldheer with maybe the worst exhibition of playing for a Cardinal lineman given his talent will result in no action against him. This position of Arians in response that Veldheer will still start because the other option is a rookie behind door number two does not work for me, because why have the damn rookie then on roster to begin with if you are going to build your house with doors you do not intend to use. Arians also does not have to be a kicking expert as he said to evaluate Dawson, a cave man could... "Dawson miss kick, he miss kick, me no like Dawson, me want win, cut Dawson, get new kicker, Caveman act"

Sure it would be an extreme move but I bet if they cut Veldheer for his absolute insult of a performance, this team would wake up and know that if you blow your job, you get blown out of town. Badger will think twice about free lancing when the play then deems he has to follow his guy if he gets benched for Budda if not only for a few plays. Right now there are no consequences for screwing up except for the team losing and that is the fix in my opinion

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson