What books are you reading/read that you would like to see turned into a mini-series?

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone here has read a book and thought this would make an awesome movie/ mini series. I am reading a book now call 'Masters of the Air' which is about the 8th Bomber Wing in the Army Air Force during WWII. The 8th Bomber Wing had staggering losses in WWII and also had many interesting stories. Without their success, it is possible the Allies may not have won the war. There are many elements and emotion in this book that I think would translate well on the screen.

I also read a book called 'Jack Hinson's One Man War' which is a true story about a Tennessee farmer whose teenage sons are killed by a Union officer in the Civil War and he becomes a lone sniper camping out on the banks of the Tennessee River killing Union Soldiers on supply boats. He was never found. I think that would make a good movie, but that is for another forum.

Anyway what about you guys??

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone here has read a book and thought this would make an awesome movie/ mini series. I am reading a book now call 'Masters of the Air' which is about the 8th Bomber Wing in the Army Air Force during WWII. The 8th Bomber Wing had staggering losses in WWII and also had many interesting stories. Without their success, it is possible the Allies may not have won the war. There are many elements and emotion in this book that I think would translate well on the screen.

I also read a book called 'Jack Hinson's One Man War' which is a true story about a Tennessee farmer whose teenage sons are killed by a Union officer in the Civil War and he becomes a lone sniper camping out on the banks of the Tennessee River killing Union Soldiers on supply boats. He was never found. I think that would make a good movie, but that is for another forum.

Anyway what about you guys??

Deep Storm by Lincoln Child seems like a good premise for a mini-series or a movie. Actually, I think a lot of his and Preston's books would translate well as long as they didn't butcher them like they did with Relic.

Steve

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I Am a Man by Joe Starita would be an excellent miniseries. It's about Chief Standing Bear's fight to reclaim land taken from his people and his harrowing ordeal of survival culminating in a court battle where he gives a speech declaring that he is a man even though white people perceived his kind as less than and not even a citizen of the country they inhabited.

Another book would be Education for Extinction by David Wallace Adams. It covers from a few different points of view the government's attempted cleansing of the uncivilized American Indian.

The Last Campaign would also be a great miniseries about RFK's run for POTUS and his assassination.

I also think Barack Obama's Dreams From My Father would make a pretty good miniseries as well.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The book I'm reading is actually being released as a movie, Eagle of the Ninth. The other series I'm reading would be great as a movie or series of movies--the 1632 series. Basically, a town in West Virginia gets uprooted and dumped in the middle of Germany during the 30-years war. The first thing they see is mercenaries raping someone...and it sparks from there.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton. It was his final manuscript and the best book he wrote since Sphere. As for mini-series, Batman: No Man's Land would be great.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If you mean the entire series, that shouldn't take more than a couple hundred hours of film to touch on the highlights.

Steve

Not true. There's 12 books, but a good 7 of them only had maybe 4 things happen between them. ;)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not true. There's 12 books, but a good 7 of them only had maybe 4 things happen between them. ;)

LOL. I'm not a big fan of the series although I did read the first 7 or 8 books (if I had bought all 12 I would have needed a bigger house). I thought he outright stole from pretty much every fantasy series ever written but he forgot to borrow the charm, style and wit of the authors he was copying. But, what do I know, they've only sold about a billion copies.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
LOL. I'm not a big fan of the series although I did read the first 7 or 8 books (if I had bought all 12 I would have needed a bigger house). I thought he outright stole from pretty much every fantasy series ever written but he forgot to borrow the charm, style and wit of the authors he was copying. But, what do I know, they've only sold about a billion copies.

Steve

Actually I really like the first 3 or 3.5 of the books. And there are characters I like throughout the series. But there are a lot of problems:

1) Nothing happens in most of the later books. It's mostly characters running around complaining all the time and not doing anything.

2) The women in the series are especially annoying. Not that they are bad characters, per se, but Jordan seems to be overly concerned with the feminist movement. According to his female characters, EVERYTHING the men do is wrong and the women all believe they can do it as good or better. They are consistently speaking down to the men and treating them like children. Even the women warriors are considered better than everyone. It's only in the later books where men come into their own (the so-called "Black Tower").

3) And speaking of characters... This is literally a cast of thousands! He kept introducing new characters all the time and not killing any of them off. Despite their similarities, Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series had a much more intimate relationship with its much fewer characters and that helped stay focused. Wheel of Time is all over the damn place. Hell, even in the first 2 books, the main character believes he has faced one character, when about halfway through the 3rd book you find out he was actually facing another. I don't mind the subterfuge, but did it have to take 3.5 books to figure it out?

4) I have not read the last 2 books -- the Robert Jordan posthumous works, but planning to soon. I've resisted reading anything about them, but I can only hope they move a little more quickly than books 5 -12.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I really like the first 3 or 3.5 of the books. And there are characters I like throughout the series. But there are a lot of problems:

1) Nothing happens in most of the later books. It's mostly characters running around complaining all the time and not doing anything.

2) The women in the series are especially annoying. Not that they are bad characters, per se, but Jordan seems to be overly concerned with the feminist movement. According to his female characters, EVERYTHING the men do is wrong and the women all believe they can do it as good or better. They are consistently speaking down to the men and treating them like children. Even the women warriors are considered better than everyone. It's only in the later books where men come into their own (the so-called "Black Tower").

3) And speaking of characters... This is literally a cast of thousands! He kept introducing new characters all the time and not killing any of them off. Despite their similarities, Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series had a much more intimate relationship with its much fewer characters and that helped stay focused. Wheel of Time is all over the damn place. Hell, even in the first 2 books, the main character believes he has faced one character, when about halfway through the 3rd book you find out he was actually facing another. I don't mind the subterfuge, but did it have to take 3.5 books to figure it out?

4) I have not read the last 2 books -- the Robert Jordan posthumous works, but planning to soon. I've resisted reading anything about them, but I can only hope they move a little more quickly than books 5 -12.

Well, obviously I liked it enough early on to make it to the 7th or 8th book. I've never been fond though of the idea that everything is cyclical and pre-destined. I am curious to see how Sanderson wraps it up so I might go back and read his series ending books. I remember hearing a few years ago that one of the studios was looking into doing these books so I'm surprised nothing is in the works yet.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Carter of Mars (next year)
And a real attempt at 'Starship Troopers'

I was always a sucker for this series and the others like it. If they do make this movie I hope they shoot it on location. Barsoom is lovely this time of year.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, obviously I liked it enough early on to make it to the 7th or 8th book. I've never been fond though of the idea that everything is cyclical and pre-destined. I am curious to see how Sanderson wraps it up so I might go back and read his series ending books. I remember hearing a few years ago that one of the studios was looking into doing these books so I'm surprised nothing is in the works yet.

Steve

Yeah well, the whole prophecy plot device sucks IMO. It's an easy and convenient way to plot and write.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I've read every wheel of time book and I'll have to admit that Sanderson is doing a better job than Jordan did. Jordan kinda lost his style after book six and started dragging them out. Sanderson has them flowing again.

That said The Wheel of time is to huge to do a mini series on. But I am very excited for Game of Thrones coming in April on HBO. Martin has an epic world created and if HBO sticks with the brutal nature of Game of Thrones the mine series is going to be great.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, Universal bought the rights to The Wheel of Time a year ago.

Okay so I'm not real good on time issues. For me, everything was a few years ago. A few years ago Tony Sheridan and the Silver Beatles were playing in Germany and a few years ago the Suns let Amare go to the Knicks.:)

Steve

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The Series of the Three Musketeers:

Book 1: The Three Musketeers
Book 2: Twenty Years After
Book 3: The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later
Book 4: Louise de la Valliere
Book 5: Man in the Iron Mask

Without a doubt if done literally by the book. It would be a huge success, and there is enough there to make a "Harry Potter like" run of movies.

The main character in this series is like 1600's John McClain from Die Hard.

A modernization of the dialogue would be all it would take. Insert hot women, and Johnny Deep like actors and boom. Millions to be made.

Not to mention the books and story lines are awesome, and get even better as each character develops.

Then after you rake in the milllions and get a fan base, you pad that money with a short series based on the Count of Monte Cristo.

And don't give me the movies that have all read been made for the Three Musketeers and the Man and the Iron mask. They are a shell of what these books are all about, and butcher the story in an attempt to tell the whole story (which cannot be done) in 90 minutes.

phxrising

Registered
Reaction score

As posted by another, Sanderson is moving things along very nicely. And yes it is refreshing.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The Series of the Three Musketeers:

Book 1: The Three Musketeers
Book 2: Twenty Years After
Book 3: The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later
Book 4: Louise de la Valliere
Book 5: Man in the Iron Mask

Without a doubt if done literally by the book. It would be a huge success, and there is enough there to make a "Harry Potter like" run of movies.

The main character in this series is like 1600's John McClain from Die Hard.

A modernization of the dialogue would be all it would take. Insert hot women, and Johnny Deep like actors and boom. Millions to be made.

Not to mention the books and story lines are awesome, and get even better as each character develops.

Then after you rake in the milllions and get a fan base, you pad that money with a short series based on the Count of Monte Cristo.

And don't give me the movies that have all read been made for the Three Musketeers and the Man and the Iron mask. They are a shell of what these books are all about, and butcher the story in an attempt to tell the whole story (which cannot be done) in 90 minutes.

I don't know about 3 and 4, but #5 isn't at all a Three Musketeers book.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I Am a Man by Joe Starita would be an excellent miniseries. It's about Chief Standing Bear's fight to reclaim land taken from his people and his harrowing ordeal of survival culminating in a court battle where he gives a speech declaring that he is a man even though white people perceived his kind as less than and not even a citizen of the country they inhabited.

This is a great choice. But I want to see Native American actors. Especially as Chief Standing Bear. I'm tired of white guys with makeup, Italians and Middle Easterners playing American Indians. (I did like the casting of Marcel and Jake in "Centennial" since they were supposed to be half white, and Costner did a pretty good job with "Dances With Wolves" but otherwise there has been some horrid casting over the years.)

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Tony Hillerman had a couple adaptations done with Adam Beach and Wes Studi that were pretty good. There's a ton of material and the mysteries were quite good.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of surprised Hollywood would take a risk on a movie like "Adaptation" (which I loved) but no one's ever taken a run at "Operation Shylock." If it ever did get made, I think Spike Jonze might be the only one who could credibly pull it off. Just, you know, don't cast Nicolas Cage in it.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I don't know about 3 and 4, but #5 isn't at all a Three Musketeers book.

I believe you are mistaken. Actually, and I didn't know this myself until I started reading these novels, and the Oxford translations have all kinds of notes, references, and history about the novels.

I read the Three Musketeers which was great, and then Twenty Years After because my father said, "Hey you know there is a sequel ?" Then read the notes for Twenty Years After, and thankfully I did because I was set to read the Man in the Iron Mask, but after I found out there were two to other books before it, I stopped and read the two books before it.

Books 3, 4, & 5, in the original French version, are one huge book ( The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later). When the english translated the series, they separated the final book into three parts (The Vicomte de Bragelonne", "Louise de la Vallière", and "The Man in the Iron Mask).

But, you don't have to take my word for it. A little research will show it to be true.

Info on the Three Musketeers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Three_Musketeers

The Three Musketeers (French: Les Trois Mousquetaires) is a novel by Alexandre Dumas, père, first serialized in March–July 1844. Set in the 17th century, it recounts the adventures of a young man named d'Artagnan after he leaves home to become a guard of the musketeers. D'Artagnan is not one of the musketeers of the title; those are his friends Athos, Porthos, and Aramis, inseparable friends who live by the motto "all for one, one for all" ("tous pour un, un pour tous").[1]

The story of d'Artagnan is continued in Twenty Years After and The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later. Those three novels by Dumas are together known as the d'Artagnan Romances.

The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later ["The Vicomte de Bragelonne", "Louise de la Vallière", and "The Man in the Iron Mask." ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vicomte_of_Bragelonne:_Ten_Years_Later

The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later (French: Le Vicomte de Bragelonne ou Dix ans plus ****) is a novel by Alexandre Dumas, père. It is the third and last of the d'Artagnan Romances, following The Three Musketeers and Twenty Years After. It appeared first in serial form between 1847 and 1850. In the English translations the 268 chapters of this large volume are usually subdivided into three, but sometimes four or even five individual books. In three-volume English editions, the three volumes are titled "The Vicomte de Bragelonne", "Louise de la Vallière", and "The Man in the Iron Mask." Each of these volumes is roughly the length of the original The Three Musketeers. In four-volume editions, the names of the volumes are kept, except that "Louise de la Vallière" and "The Man in the Iron Mask" are pushed down from second and third to third and fourth, with "Ten Years Later" becoming the second volume. There are usually no volume-specific names in five-volume editions. French academic Jean-Yves Tadié has argued that the beginning of King Louis XIV's personal rule is the novel's real subject.[1]

What throws most people off is that only d'Artagnan is still called, d'Artagnan by the time the Man in the Iron Mask roles around in the series. The Three Musketeers are all the same people (thus explained how this happens in Twenty Years After, The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Louise de la Vallière) but there "titles" have changed because of their rank.

Athos = Comte de la Fère
Porthos = Baron du Vallon de Bracieux de Pierrefonds
Aramis = René d'Herblay, and then rises to the rank of Bishop René d'Aramis de Vannes.

Can't just watch the hack of a movie called the Man in the Iron Mask. Cause it does the series and the acutal novel absolutely no justice.

I cannot believe I am debating with Stout about literature. Who says football fans are not deep :D

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson