What are you reading now?

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Taking by Dean Koontz...I read the jacket, was super intrigued, and now i'm reading it and it's just great.

Mike

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hard Drive : Bill Gates and the Making of the Microsoft Empire

Pretty interesting....

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary Leader by Dinesh D'Souza

I'm about 33% through it and it's been pretty good so far.

Shawn

I just read last night that this guy's nickname is Distorts D'Newsa. Not saying anything about the book...just thought it was funny.

CQ

Recovered WoW-aholic
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally started reading Four Past Midnight by Stephan King. (I bought it because Secret Window is one of the stories in this book.) I'm only on page 99, in the first story still. The first story is called The Langoliers. I was reading it last night until about 11. I had the world's freakiest dreams last night! I have a new rule for myself, NO reading Stephan King books past 9 pm. LOL! So far though, it's an interesting book. I usually can guess what's going to happen at least a page or two in advance, not in this book! I have no freakin' clue what's going on! Very, very interesting!

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phlegyas said:
Just finished Dismantling Evolution by Ralph O. Muncaster. Almost finished Icons of Evolution. Both books use scientific evidence to show how the theory of evolution couldn't have happened.

I read Dismantling in March of this year - excellent piece of work - very well written and concise arguments against evolution.

I've really wanted to buy and read Icons but I just haven't done it yet. I've got a stack in the read pile at home filled with John R. W. Stott books that are on my list - perhaps when I've finished those I'll take on another academic work.

Shawn

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finished the Reagan book last night - I'll decide tonight when I arrive home what my next book will be and post it here. :D

Shawn

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phlegyas said:
Just finished Dismantling Evolution by Ralph O. Muncaster. Almost finished Icons of Evolution. Both books use scientific evidence to show how the theory of evolution couldn't have happened.

Sounds like a good one, I'm going to have to remember that.

I also finished up Moneyball a few weeks back...great book for baseball stats and strategy junkies...

Mike

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Survivor, by Chuck Palahniuk

This is the same guy that wrote Fight Club; he's really weird. I'm only 50 or so pages into this one, but it's good so far. :thumbup:
3/4 of the way through. The main character is doing a halftime show during the superbowl-- guess who's playing? The Cards and the Colts.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Well, I finished Foucault's Pendulum a few weeks ago. Some of the themes were similar to The Da Vinci Code, but I'd say they were two different styles of books. Both worth reading, though.

I finished the 9/11 Commission Report this morning. It was full of information and quite well-written. We clearly have a lot of work to do as a country. You can get a copy of the report at Costco for $5.99 or download it online for free. I'd recommend it to everyone.

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Solving The Exodus Mystery, Volume 1 by Ted Stewart.

It's a book about reconciling the dates of the Babylonians, Egyptians, Elamites and Israelites beginning with Abraham through the Israelite exodus from Egypt.

Shawn

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Finished The Iliad. Actually a good book (had to read it for school)

Now finished All The Presidents Men (for a project for gov for school). A really good book as well.

I'm shocked. I usually hate most books. This school year I'm 2 for 2!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Naked Prey by John Sandford.

It's what the hip ASFN'ers are reading these days. ;)

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished:

Reality Isn't What It Used to Be - Walter Truett Anderson (Sociology Theory class)
Winesburg, Ohio - Sherwood Anderson (English class)
Plato's Apology - Plato :) (Philosophy class)

Just started:
Aint No Makin It - Jay MacLeod (Sociology of Educ class)
Go Down, Moses - William Faulkner (English class)
Nicomachean Eithcs - Aristotle (ughhhhhhhh Philosophy class)

yay.... school...

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Naked Prey by John Sandford.

It's what the hip ASFN'ers are reading these days. ;)

I see a contradiction here. :wave:

I'm reading Something M.Y.T.H. Inc. by Robert Asprin.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Plato's Apology - Plato :) (Philosophy class)

Hey!

In Humanities in school now we are doing our unit on philosophy (right now on the ancient Greeks).

We have to read the Apology later this week and write a page on some topic on it comparing it to Pericles' Funeral Oration. Something about the ideal of a citizen.

Feel free to post any info you might have! :D

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
Hey!

In Humanities in school now we are doing our unit on philosophy (right now on the ancient Greeks).

We have to read the Apology later this week and write a page on some topic on it comparing it to Pericles' Funeral Oration. Something about the ideal of a citizen.

Feel free to post any info you might have! :D

Ughhhhhhhhh this is like the 3rd or 4th time I've had to read Plato's Apology (I've had like 3 Philosophy courses so far ughhhhhh) and I swear to you I dont remember a damn thing from any of it.

I know that Socrates is wise because he knows he is NOT wise.

Crap, I've read Pericles' Funeral Oration, too - I guess I just blocked it from my mind and wnet on my merry way lol

But if I can think of anything, or find any notes or papers or anything, I'll be sure to let you know :)

<-------------- obviously not a fan of philosophy

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI - Stephen King's final book in the Dark Tower Series came out yesterday. His final fictional novel... :(

shawn

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
Why isn't he writing anymore, did I miss something?

he's retiring from the novel writing biz. he's still writing other types of genres - he is currently working on a sports book about baseball - i think he and another writer are writing a diary type of book following the Red Sox. it should be out next year.

he has said in a few interviews that he feels like he is beginning to repeat himself in his horror/fantasy novels so he's calling that part of his writing days quits. he will still be active in publishing, non-fiction writing and writing magazine articles (EW), etc.

shawn

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FischerKing said:
he's retiring from the novel writing biz. he's still writing other types of genres - he is currently working on a sports book about baseball - i think he and another writer are writing a diary type of book following the Red Sox. it should be out next year.

he has said in a few interviews that he feels like he is beginning to repeat himself in his horror/fantasy novels so he's calling that part of his writing days quits. he will still be active in publishing, non-fiction writing and writing magazine articles (EW), etc.

shawn

He wrote an episode of "The X-Files."

Just a tidbit I wanted to throw out there!!!