Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gone with the Wind

Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20's and 30's

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished: Lucky You, Carl Hiaason (it was a fun read, I've found most of Hiaason's stuff is, but it's very similiar to the others too).

Now reading: Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Niel Gaiman (it's good, so far, in an English/Hitchhiker's guide sort of way).

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thirty-two said:
Gone with the Wind

Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20's and 30's

Putting those two on hold until I finish:

The Total Money Makeover - Dave Ramsey (hi BIM! hi fisch king! lol)

and

This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
You'd be better off with your first choice of "Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20's and 30's".

Why? (just curious)

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think its best to learn those types of things from a source that doesn't have such a heavy agenda. The "Idiot's Guide" will allow you to figure things out at your own pace using the critical thinking skills the Jesuits are imparting upon you at MU.

I don't know what your major is, but (if it's not a business related major) I would alos take some finance courses as electives (I was a Poly Sci major at a Jesuit colege - that's what I did).

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
You'd be better off with your first choice of "Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20's and 30's".

And she'll live in debt forever. :barf:

Dave Ramsey spells out how to eliminate debt and build wealth using common sense.

My wife and I will be debt free except our house early next year.

Dave's approach works better than anything else out there. :thumbup:

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Sorry you mistook my comments as some sort of indictment of Dave Ramsey, that was not my intention. Ramsey is perfect for married couples who find themselves in debt like you and your wife.

My point was, as a college student, presumably with less debt, a broad exposure to all points of view would be best to start with. Then, when warrented, choose someone like Ramsey.

Again, I have no problem, what-so-ever with his work.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
as a college student, presumably with less debt...

:biglaugh:

We wouldn't have had as much debt without our college years!!

We wish we had known about Dave back then. It's not all about digging out from debt, Ramsey teaches how to properly budget, etc...

I do see your point though.

But, with our experience and the knowledge of others who have used Dave's plan (married couples and singles alike) - we wouldn't recommend any other book.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
I think its best to learn those types of things from a source that doesn't have such a heavy agenda. The "Idiot's Guide" will allow you to figure things out at your own pace using the critical thinking skills the Jesuits are imparting upon you at MU.

I don't know what your major is, but (if it's not a business related major) I would alos take some finance courses as electives (I was a Poly Sci major at a Jesuit colege - that's what I did).

Thanks very much for your input.

Dave's book has been recommended to me by a few people, so I figured I might as well read that first. I fully intend on reading the "Idiot's Guide," too. I'll probably end up reading some of Suzy Ormone's books, too. I just want to get as much info about this stuff as I can, and then I can go from there and get my money in order, lol! :)

I'm by no means a business major (lol) but I have considered taking a few finance courses. What college did you go to (if you dont mind me asking). Gotta love those Jesuits, hehe.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WizardOfAz said:
Regis University in Denver.

GET OUT!

That was my #1 choice for the LONGEST time!

I was THISCLOSE to going there.

How funny!

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
But, with our experience and the knowledge of others who have used Dave's plan (married couples and singles alike) - we wouldn't recommend any other book.

My point exactly, you appreciate that much more based on other experiences you and your wife have had.

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
speaking as a total moron when it comes to finances, etc. the ramsey book has been a total life-saver. in the few short months (6) that his plan has been implemented - i've paid off a nearly 5k in debt and am about 24-27 months out from having everything paid off entirely except for the mortgage.

i've read several budgeting and money management books and this one is so easy to implement and understand.

jmo

shawn

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of debt, I just have a lot of Bills....if that makes any sense.

Meaning, only two of my obligations are financed (car and house)... The rest are cable, internet, insurance, utilities, etc.... Does Dave Ramsey have a program for that?

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I don't have a lot of debt, I just have a lot of Bills....if that makes any sense.

Meaning, only two of my obligations are financed (car and house)... The rest are cable, internet, insurance, utilities, etc.... Does Dave Ramsey have a program for that?

For me the best thing about Ramsey is that he gives some very sound principles and advice that is very much common sense. Then you apply it to your situation - so it doesn't really matter where you are at and what type of debt you have.

Typically with a vehicle he says if you can pay it off in about 18 months then it's a good candidate to keep - but in the future try to buy your vehicles for cash so you don't have a payment. You find a vehicle that is 1 or 2 years old from a dealership - most likely one that was previously a leased vehicle because the maintenance on them will have been very good. You end up with a fairly new car, good condition but for a lot less money. And since you don't have a car payment - you just pay yourself a car payment - put the money away and save it for the next vehicle. Since you bought the vehicle already for a lower price, you'll get a decent resale price for it - plus the money that you had been saving - you can move up in car for your next purchase. It's just practical stuff like that - at least to me it seems very practical.

That's just one example.

Shawn

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Shawn said... :thumbup:

Also, regardless of your financial situation, Dave suggests making a monthly WRITTEN budget.

It's amazing the control you have over your money when you spend it on paper before each week/month even begins.

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just finished Deception Point by Dan Brown (yes that Dan Brown) - Excellent!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
What Shawn said... :thumbup:

Also, regardless of your financial situation, Dave suggests making a monthly WRITTEN budget.

It's amazing the control you have over your money when you spend it on paper before each week/month even begins.
[shamelessplug]CFP Board, the certifying body for Certified Financial Planner professionals, has some good resources for financial planning on their Web site. www.cfp.net [/shamelessplug]

OP
OP
FischerKing

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ronald Reagan: How an Ordinary Man Became an Extraordinary Leader by Dinesh D'Souza

I'm about 33% through it and it's been pretty good so far.

Shawn

Djaughe

Reaction score
Annihilation
R.A. Salvatore's War of the Spider Queen Book 5

Great series so far! :thumbup:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Survivor, by Chuck Palahniuk

This is the same guy that wrote Fight Club; he's really weird. I'm only 50 or so pages into this one, but it's good so far. :thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson